300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kimber Pro Carry .40

I have a Kimber Pro Carry that does not stay open after the last round is fired, I have bought different magazines for it and it still does not stay open. It fires every round without malfunctions, but I don't know if it is just made that way. Can anyone give me facts that can answer why it is doing that? Thanks and take care!

Brad

How old is this gun and how many time has it been fired(guess).
    John D. MacDonald, "The early bird who catches the worm works for someone who comes in late and owns the worm farm."

Comment

I have had it for about 1 year, but heard that Kinmber stopped making them. I have fired about 50 rounds out of it so far without any problems, other than the slide not locking back after the last round. Thanks!

Brad

Comment

This is a article I found about the problem>

Kimber Pro Carry Reliability Testing
        On our first range session with the Pro Carry, we had several incidents of the slide failing to lock back on an empty magazine. We isolated this problem to one particular magazine with an out-of-spec follower. The mag would lock back a Colt but the Kimber didn
        John D. MacDonald, "The early bird who catches the worm works for someone who comes in late and owns the worm farm."

Comment

Thanks locke1419, that was very informative even though short. I will try to continue trying different magazines in it to see if it finally locks back.

Brad

Comment

What kind of aftermarket mags are you trying? The Wilson Combat 47D has worked flawlessly in all my Kimbers. Either sell the factory mag or throw it away.

Comment

I've got a Kimber Custom II that has had over 8,000 rounds through it. I've had 1 malfunction (after over 1900 rounds without cleaning ). I have a total of 10 Kimber factory stainless mags in my mag box. I've never had a reliability issue with ANY Kimber magazine. This gun has only used Kimber, Colt, and Tripp Research (awesome stuff) magazines. Sounds like you got a bad magazine, stomp it or mark it and ONLY use it for the range. Replace it quickly. Both Tripp and Wilson are top notch after market mags, fyi.
              Nobody ever wants to have to fight, but its a darn good idea for someone to know how.

Comment

jeeper, thanks for the advice. I have used Chip McCormick and Wilson magazines in my other guns and really like them a lot. I bought a Colt magazine for the Kimber in .40 and it does the same things as the other ones so far. I will keep trying to do different things for it. I would also like to get my hands on the Taurus PT1911, when they come out hopefully soon.

Comment

ColonelRivers

take the little beastie apart and look real close at the slide stop. If the bump on the side that the follower catches is out of spec it's not gonna work with any mag.
                  I wont call smack on Kimber but I have seen this before as well as other problems.
                  The Para LDA is a better choice with more benefits for a carry gun and better quiality to boot. The problem you are having is simple to fix and you should have a fine piece when you are done.
                  I cut me teeth in the smithing business on the 1911 style guns and it seems that nobody ever gets it all right all the time.
                  Good luck with your gremlin

CR
                  Last edited by ColonelRivers; 08-28-2005, 04:00 PM. Reason: addition

Comment

Thank you ColonelRivers, appreciate the advice and will do! I do have a Para LDA 7.45 Companion Carry and the hammer goes back down when I feed the first round into the chamber. I like it so much along with all my other .45 and .40! Thanks again and take care!

Comment

I have both a Para LDA CCW and A Kimber pro CDP2 both had their teething problems The Para's Xtractor puked into the chamber after about 500 rounds and the mag release broke after 600. It is very ammunition sensitive, Will not fire all the time with either Wolf or S&B, hard primers, but works fine with all factory US made ammo plus the factory mags are overpriced JUNK. The Kimber had its problems with the factory mags, none since being replaced with Chip McCormics. I would have to disagree with the Col. about the quality issues the Para's are not higher quality than the Kimbers and their customer service was ok but they did not reimberse me for the two times I had to send my pistol back for service. The only reason I still have the pistol is that I love the trigger pull and manual safety for a off duty carry gun. Both are very expensive but neither has been as reliable as my Springfield XD or Beretta 92.

Comment

Thanks Bigun, I had both the XD and Beretta 92 and thought they were great. Appreciate your comments very much.

-Brad

Comment

ColonelRivers

Now I know that I am going to be beaten severely about the head and shoulders for what I am going to say but I am gonna dooooooooooooo it :0)
                          I carry a glock myself and love it. Its simple and works well. My father about disowned me when I bought it back in the late 80's. I have a metric buttload of rounds through that little beast and it has never failed to work. I hear a lot of stuff about Glock. I look at it like this. Its either love or hate with the Glock no middle ground..
                          One thing for sure is they are simple. Another good pistol is the FN 49 better built than a glock and cheaper.

Comment

Col. why would you be beat up on a police forum for saying you like Glocks, as for the FN I personally dont have any experience with them but like most FN products they are probably first rate. I know I wouldnt trade my High Power for anything. Well maybe a Wilson .45 but not much else. A personal firearm has to fit the person carrying and shooting it nothing more. Yes there is some snob factor in the Kimbers up in price and there is also alot of brand loyalty out there but it all comes down to personal preferance. I know I was way more impressed with my Colt 1991 stainless than I have been with either the Kimber or the Para.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3688 users online. 148 members and 3540 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X