300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First firearm

I am looking to go and buy my first pistol so I can practice shooting. A friend of the family told me that I should probably just start out with a 22. He said that his 22 has no kick back, was inexpensive, ammunition was cheep, and would be a good beginner gun as I would not get discouraged.

What are your your opionions. I have no experiance, except for shooting a hunting rifle many years ago. Rember, I am a college student, so I dont have to much money to play with.

Do you think that I should go with a 22, or should I go bigger? Is there a make / model of gun that you would recomend?
    When a crime breaks out, all the cute girls shout
    get the, good looking guy

Your friend sounds like a smart man. You can buy a nice used 22 ruger automatic for cheap and have hours and hours of fun for very little money.
    "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Originally posted by pkagel
      Your friend sounds like a smart man. You can buy a nice used 22 ruger automatic for cheap and have hours and hours of fun for very little money.
      I have always trusted him with guns, seeing he has a small collection and I have no experiance. I just always like to have a second opinion.
      Thanks

Comment

.22 pistol is a great choice. Semi-auto or revolver. Another nice option is a .357 revolver. You can plink all day with a nice, light .38 Special Wadcutter load or go mean and nasty with a .357 Magnum +P round. Smith & Wesson, Ruger, Colt, you can't go wrong.

jdlong

Comment

I don't know if you intend on going into L.E. or not, but if you are, before you start shooting a handgun, find an instructor that will work with you so you won't develope any bad habits that will have to be broken later.

Starting with a .22 is a good idea. It will help you to become comfortable around guns, and you'll learn the basics that you will need. The Ruger Mark II is an excellent starter gun.

What part of Wisconsin are you from?
          Extremism in the pursuit of liberty is no vice. Barry Goldwater

Comment

Originally posted by keith758

What part of Wisconsin are you from?
            South Eastern Wisconsin, about 45 minutes north of Milwaukee, how about you?

I was thinking about a stainless Browning Buckmark, any thoughts about this?

Comment

Fine weapon to start out with, you'll have endless hours of fun with it.

Originally posted by Dons
              I was thinking about a stainless Browning Buckmark, any thoughts about this?
              "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

About 50 miles north of Milwaukee. Send me a P.M.
                Extremism in the pursuit of liberty is no vice. Barry Goldwater

Comment

I have read that getting a revolver is a good idea for a beginner because they are easier to use and shoot more acuratly. Is this true, should I look at revolvers, or just go for a semi-auto right away?

Comment

I don't think you are going to go wrong with either a revolver or semi-auto. My dad started my brothers and I shooting Ruger MkII's and a Ruger Single Six. They were great to plink with. As we got older we moved up to the .357 and his .38 Chiefs Special. Learn the fundamentals early from someone good. Now that I think about it though, I think starting in revolvers taught us to make the most of 5 or 6 shots. Good Luck, welcome to the joy that is firearms.

I would also suggest a Walther P22, not a bad little gun. They cost about $250.

Comment

My first handgun was as a college student - a Ruger Mk II (.22lr). A good option (especially if you prefer semi-auto) since it is safe to dry-fire (many .22 firearms are not).

Another option for a beginner's handgun would be an airsoft, BB, or pellet pistol. Even cheaper, and you could practice indoors at short ranges.

Comment

A Ruger mk II or the new MKIII with its improved safety features are great beginners pistols. Any quality gun store should have at least one or two good quality used ones around for under 230-250. I picked mine up about a year ago for 220, and it is one of the most accurate firearms I have ever shot. My first experiance with a pistol though was with my Dad's S&W 686 6'' combat .357 revolver , and that was a great way to learn to shoot with light .38's then full blown .357's. whatever you get, make sure you are comfortable with it, and start learning good technique now so you wont have to re-educate yourself later.
                        Born to Fight, Trained to Kill; Break our Laws, And I'll Break Your Will.

Criminals thrive on the indulgence of public understanding.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3868 users online. 252 members and 3616 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X