300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shotgun holster?

I have a pump action 12-gauge shotgun with a pistol grip (in lieu of a shoulder stock). Does anyone know of an across-the-back holster for a gun like that? I see them in the movies all the time but I've never seen one in real life.

I'm looking for something that would put the shotgun barrel down across my back, with the pistol grip above my shoulder, so I could draw it out straight up, over the shoulder. I don't want to sling it; it's too impractical while I'm doing other things.

When I go to the beach, I have to carry the bloody thing for bears, but it's a little hard to roast marshmellows with the kids while I have a shotgun in my lap....

man, i would love to live somewhere wild enough to have your problem!

Comment

Would an arrow quiver do the job?
      http://www.tracker-outdoors.com/quivers.htm
      "TRADITIONS BACK QUIVER"

That looks like a definite maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by benchmademan
        man, i would love to live somewhere wild enough to have your problem!
        Yeah, it's kinda cool. This time of year we get grizzly bears and polar bears.

Comment

I'd recommend a tac sling. That way if you need to go hands on you can just "drop" the shotgun and it will be across your body for easy acesses if you need again. Or if it's in the way their you can just sling it across your back easily and draw it back almost as quickly.

The reason you don't see a holster for your back is because in reality they are much more impractical. You wouldn't be able to draw it quickly, think about it... would the barrell be clear of the holster after you grab the handle and extend your arm? unless you have a 14" barrell, probably not. And if you need to put it in the holster again quickly, could you? Again, probably not.

The sling I use on my Mossberg is made by Sling System. No complaints so far.
          You have no right to not be offended.-Neal Boortz

Comment

You don't have to be far out of town to get attacked by a bear. Friend of mine lives in Eagle River, just outside of Anchorage. Grandma, son, and teenage granddaughter went out for a walk. Only the granddaughter survived.

I hope you practice with your shotgun. My experience with pistol gripped guns has been that they are great to store and carry, but hard to hit with.
            "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
            John Stuart Mill

Comment

Originally posted by Centurion44
              I'd recommend a tac sling. That way if you need to go hands on you can just "drop" the shotgun and it will be across your body for easy acesses if you need again. Or if it's in the way their you can just sling it across your back easily and draw it back almost as quickly.

The reason you don't see a holster for your back is because in reality they are much more impractical. You wouldn't be able to draw it quickly, think about it... would the barrell be clear of the holster after you grab the handle and extend your arm? unless you have a 14" barrell, probably not. And if you need to put it in the holster again quickly, could you? Again, probably not.

The sling I use on my Mossberg is made by Sling System. No complaints so far.

hands on with a grizzly
              "here's to us and those like us .....damn few left"

Comment

Tac sling sounds like the best option here.

If you wear a backpack, there are also a number of holsters I've seen that mount to packs or LBV's. They are available from a few of the tactical companies (Eagle Industries, Blackhawk, DiamondBack Tactical). I don't know if any of them have a way to secure the holster directly to your body though.

The arrow quiver is another idea that sounds entirely workable.
                Nobody ever wants to have to fight, but its a darn good idea for someone to know how.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2514 users online. 129 members and 2385 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X