300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems Shooting

Firearms are driving me nuts. So far in practice, I have shot a good enough score to qualify on the practical next week. But EVERY miss is left. I have a good grip and Im trying to gently squeeze the trigger straight back, but somehow Im pulling left still, especially from 15 yards and out. Any suggestions at all would be great......Thanks, JC
    "Hey handsome...catch any speeders today" ???

In the real world the target shoots back. So just how serious are you about the job and staying alive / Do you have adjustable sights ? They could be off and need work so have somebody else that is good fire that weapon to see if it could be the gun causing you to consistantly off in the same direction.

Comment

Holding the gun to tight?? I used to hold the gun to tight and id pull my shots to the left.

Comment

Actually Im very serious about the job; thats why Im committed to enlisting as much assistance as possible and practicing to get better. I do not have adjustable sights as my instructors told us not to alter or change the gun in anyway. My knowledge of firearms is very limited since I have been shooting for a total of 3 days in my life; Im assuming adjustable sights is an option you can have installed on your gun ?

Comment

Yes they are. If your have them you need to do a mechanical zero on them and then zero the weapon to you. Usually if your throwing rounds to the right or left it's a trigger control issue. What type of weapon are you using and is it the first shot that is being thrown or shots after that is the problem. YOu need to focus on the fundamentals of sight alignment, breathing, and trigger control. They work on the range, and will work IRL but you have to practice and apply them. Try gently pulling on the trigger and the pop should surprise you, if it doesn't then your anticipating the recoil. But from the sound of what your saying it's a trigger issue. Gentle pressure on the trigger till it breaks cleanly then follow it up by allowing the trigger to reset.
          Professionalism always, courtesy until it's time not to be.

Comment

If you are right-handed then consistently missing to the left is usually caused by either gripping the weapon too tightly or having too little finger on the trigger.

If you are left-handed it is often caused by wrapping too much finger around the trigger.

When you get the chance to practice, drop the magazine and lock the slide to the rear. Visually and manually check the chamber. Visually and manually check the chamber. Visually and manually check the chamber.

Once you've verified the weapon is empty practice by dry firing. Over and over and over while concentrating on sight alignment, sight picture, and trigger control.

All it takes is practice. Some people just need more than others.
            Cogito ergo summopere periculosus.

Comment

Your instructors think a gun comes out of the box with adjustable sights that are right one ?? ARE YOIU KIDDING ME ????
              That thing could be way off or have been dropped.

But in most police shootings you really don't use the sights anyway.
              You could also have a vision problem you are not aware of also.

Comment

Please inform us as to what type of weapon you are issued, this may help in giving you answers to your question.Please do not go out and practice on your own, practice will not make perfect, perfect practice will make perfect. You can practice doing something wrong today and it will still be wrong next year. You need someone with you that knows what he or she is doing to get you better at what you are doing.
                Bill

Comment

Correct personal practice isn't going to help without a certified instructor standing by. What type of weapon is it ???

Comment

CC is right on the sight alignment breathing and trigger control. I am right handed and our duty weapon is a Sig 226 9mm and i used to always throw rounds outta the bottle on the left. I was anticipating the recoil and was also gripping the gun to tight. I also tried pulling on a rubber band with my trigger finger and it improved my trigger pull so now it is nice and steady. I have also tried setting a spent shell on top of the slide down by the front sight and got to the point where the shell stays there even with me firing shots. I have seen that the more you practice the better you get, but also as bodie says you want a certified instructor who is going to steer you away from bad habits. And don't get discouraged it only makes things worse! Just Try Try and Try again!
                    Last edited by SkyCop418; 08-14-2005, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Trigger pull, breathing, grip, could also be a eye dominance problem.

Comment

I have a Glock 17

Comment

Originally posted by WCJC 30339
                          I have a Glock 17
                          I also use a Glock17 and when I started my shooting, I was going high left.
                          As the guys have mentioned above it was all down to my grip.

I was holding onto that thing as if I was trying to throttle it !!

Comment

Grip can be a big factor in all especially with the glock. Grip it firmly enough but don't white knuckle the thing. Also with the GLock allow the trigger to reset properly before firing multiple shots. But remember what I have said about the fundamentals. Find a dept Instructor who would be willing to help you in your down time.
                            Professionalism always, courtesy until it's time not to be.

Comment

It sounds like you might have a 'pre-ignition push'. You anticipate the bang so you flinch slightly down and to the left (if you're right handed) at the moment you fire.

The way to fix that is to dry fire; a lot. It's not very practical with a Glock because you have to pull the slide between each trigger pull, but if you have a second person stand off to the side and do it for you it helps.

The other thing to do is to fire the gun on the range while pulling in the trigger very slowly. You want to aim for "compressed surprise break"; ie: when you decide to fire, you start pulling the trigger slowly through the sear so you don't know exactly when it will fire. Do this in practice and you'll get over the push.

I disagree with the idea of adjusting your sights, unless the sights themselves are off. Have an expert (range master?) fire it and see if they're off. If the master is not off, it's you that's the problem. Glocks get test fired before they leave the factory, and get adjusted if they need it there. A new one shouldn't be off.

If you adjust the sights when it's you that's off, you'll cement in the bad habit that's causing you to miss. Like Bodie said, you don't use the sights in a gun fight; it's all muscle memory. If your muscle memory is 6" to the right, you're screwed.
                              Last edited by jakflak; 08-15-2005, 12:56 AM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6120 users online. 349 members and 5771 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X