300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ahhhh, my first

Hello all, well now i can make an official post in this forum. About 2 weeks ago I got the letter from my local PD saying my permit was ready for pickup. Next day I went to the local gun shop. Since I was a little limited to price (saving for a house, and my other half is the voice of reason) I purchased a Ruger P90 .45ACP. Since then I have put 350 rounds through it, and every clip gets better. The shop I got it from has an indoor range, and their choices of ammo are limited. I started off with Winchesters "Winclean" 185gr. I wasnt too thrilled with it, as there was nothing clean about it. So I picked up a box of their 230 gr FMJ. Much better to shoot, the recoil wasnt much diffrent, and the barrel of the gun didnt turn white. All in all I am happy with the gun. I let my g/f try it out. She never shot a gun before, and i was sketchy on her shootin a .45 for her first time. I was right, she took one shot, sat it down, and said no way. So, now i am gonna use the other purchase permit I got(I filed for two, just in case) to pick up something she can use. She has her heart set on a revolver like a .357 or a .38, but im gonna try to talk her into like a 9mm Sig. I shot a Sig P220 but couldnt come up with the 800 they wanted for one new. So we might look at one of their used ones.

Oh back to my ruger. I was a little disconcerned at first during the first box of ammo. I had 2 FTF's and one FTE. However, after a few more boxes, and a few strip downs, thorough cleaning and oiling,it is just a pleasure to shoot as the Sig was. And what do you guys think of Miltec oil. I picked up a Hoppes 9 starter kit, and the guy at the shop said to get some miltec and use the hoppes oil on my lawnmower.

I am happy
    "Guns dont make me nervous. Idiots with guns make me nervous." -Charles Bronson ,Deathwish IV

Help control the idiot population.Have your stupid friends spayed or nutered.

Rugers are ugly IMO, but they are built like a tank and on the cheaper side of things. As long as it fits your hand, and you can control it well, it was a good buy. I am, however, partial to the 1911's.

As far as your girlfriend, a .357 would be a good buy, as she can shoot .38 out of it too. A .38's recoil is more than manageable. But, she may have a problem with the long DA trigger pull. The Sig is also a good choice, as long as it's a DA/SA traditional action. I've never liked their DA pulls, but that's just me. And again, I'm a 1911 fan, so I never see DA triggers!

Comment

Try a 9mm, I'm a huge fan of .45's, but for wives a 9mm will certainly do the job and they are very manageable recoil wise.
      Illegitimi non carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down.

Comment

My wife would disagree... She likes to shoot my Kimber Ultra Carry .45! More so than her .38 Colt Det. Special.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommytoons1979
          every clip gets better.
          magazine is the correct term for that piece of equipment.

Congrats!!! My first firearm was a Sig239 (9mm), have your G/F try that one. It's not too bad and if she gets tired of it you can use it, it's great for concealment!!!
          Have you ever noticed? Anybody going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac.

Comment

Rugers suck in my honest opinion but if it works for ya then good...oh yeah it is not a clip it is a magazine... in fact it would actually be called a detachable box magazine.... clips are things that hold bullets before you put them into the magazine....in our police academy you wuold have to do push ups for calling it a clip and then bring in donuts for everone the next range day.
            Happy to be here proud to serve

"Well it appears this lock does not accept american express."

Never trust fire fighters to point out a suspect.

Comment

Ok, well then donuts are on me. I am familiar around guns, just not experienced all that much. My experience in handguns goes as far as shooting a Glock 21 .45, Rugers P89 9mm, Ruger P90 .45, S&W .41, and a SIG p220. Of all those the onlyone that ever gave me a few problems was the Glock, where it had 2 F2Fs and one F2E, and one bullet just didnt wanna fire but that wasnt the gun, and this was in 100 rounds. Now could it have been me? Could be, or poor maintenance on my friends part. The P89 was fun to shoot, accuracy was good, and it gave me no issues. The Sig was the best, but i dont have the 800 to get it right now. Maybe a xmas present. There are so many i like ill just have to ge em over time.
              My friend is a huge fan of the glocks, his wife just got the compact 9mm, and he lucked out with the one he has since its a helluva gun and was issued from the dept. I felt the glock was too light for me especially in a .45. The ruger has some weight to it, another reason i like the sig. A lot of 1911 fans have agreed with me. I have been eyeing up an HK USP 45, but like I said, not right now.
              And my other half made a decision, she chose the ruger P89, no I had nothing to do with it. She looked at 9 diffrent guns, mostly revolvers, a few S&W semi-autos, then she picked up the ruger and said ok. Even tried talkin her into a Beretta 92 but she made up her mind. So, ill prolly go pick that up since im home today. Maybe take it to the range and break it in for her.
              "Guns dont make me nervous. Idiots with guns make me nervous." -Charles Bronson ,Deathwish IV

Help control the idiot population.Have your stupid friends spayed or nutered.

Comment

I have managed a few gun stores over the years, and my first advice: If it's going to be her gun, let her pick it! It's for her protection when you are not around, and she needs to feel good about it - not you! So smile, learn to say "yes Dear", (it's good for other things later), and let her choose her own gun. Then, take her shooting - but have someone else teach her to shoot! Two things men should never teach their significant others: Driving & shooting. Trust me on this.
                "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
                John Stuart Mill

Comment

Originally posted by Sleuth
                  but have someone else teach her to shoot! Two things men should never teach their significant others: Driving & shooting. Trust me on this.
                  AMEN to that

Comment

Originally posted by Sleuth
                    but have someone else teach her to shoot! Two things men should never teach their significant others: Driving & shooting. Trust me on this.
                    +2 damn straight!!

Comment

Funny you say that, Squad51!

You are, of course right... but I've heard some old Army veterans scold their soldiers that you should refer to the M-16 magazines as clips. Magazines are what you read when you are on the (john - don't really need to use the vulgar term here)!

I recently heard this expression in some Hollywood movie. But then again, the ultra-libs in Hollyweird don't really know anything about guns!

Comment

My G/F loves shooting my S&W 686 Combat .357 that My Dad gave me. She can shoot a box of .38's through it all day, and surprisingly after a little practice, can keep all 6 in a targets head at 25 yards, not too bad since she will only shoot .38s out of it. Needless to say, she likes the ease of the revolvers action, and I like knowing that if she needs to use it, she can do more than just blindly fire. So I'd say let her get what she wants, after all she will be pulling the trigger if the time comes that she needs to use it.
                        Born to Fight, Trained to Kill; Break our Laws, And I'll Break Your Will.

Criminals thrive on the indulgence of public understanding.

Comment

WinClean ammo sux. The first (and last...) five rounds I ever fired of it managed to freeze up my S&W M66. All the primers looked like they had been steamrollered. One or two of 'em even had peirced primers. The gun I shot it with works fine with any other ammo.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6426 users online. 361 members and 6065 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X