300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glock 23 in .40 or Sig P226/229 in .40

Hey guys, thanks for the replies to my first post, "Rookie needs expert opinion". I've officially been accepted into the academy. I need a gun for training purposes. After visiting a local gun shop and with price in mind, I eliminated the H&K USP from my list, even though they are standard issue at the department. So could I get a final say on Glock vs. Sig? I'm told the Glock is the better deal price-wise, but the Sig is more top heavy for more accurate repeat shots. A reconditioned Sig is about the same price as a new Glock. I'm still planning on shooting them at the local range. I gotta have it soon, so any help would be great!
    Thanks.
    James

Why did you rule out the USP?

Glock + : Very reliable, requires little matinance, easy to clean and take apart, light trigger pull with shot trigger reset and it is very light,

- : Too man plastic parts (guide rod, pins,sights), not as accurate as the Sig,

Sig +, *Very reliable, very accurate, nice smooth trigger, that "Quality" feel and look (better finish)

- : Sigs when they get dirty tend to jam due to their tight tolerences (the same thng that makes them as accurate as they are), the Sig magazine springs tend to weaken a bit faster then I like, however I must admit I have never seen one fail.

My personal preferance goes to the Glock for duty use.
    If it were a range or home defence gun I would say Sig.

There is a reason the most popular police issued weapon is Glock.

You would be just as well served with either weapon and these are just MY personal preferances.

My advice: See if you can go to a range and rent both guns and see how YOU like them.

Comment

PM sent about the HK

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyReb
        Sigs when they get dirty tend to jam due to their tight tolerences (the same thng that makes them as accurate as they are), the Sig magazine springs tend to weaken a bit faster then I like, however I must admit I have never seen one fail.
        Everyone has their own experiences and opinions
        Cogito ergo summopere periculosus.

Comment

I would have to say you should get the SIG if your putting yourself thru the academy.
          The First time you draw you glock on the range and the Plastic front site post breaks off and you dont know how to put it on you will know why.

And If the department you want to go to uses HK's out of the glock and Sig the Sig is the closest to the HK then the Glock.
          Quick throw me your cuffs I already used all of mine
          Come here Slick Im not done with you yet

Comment

I have two Sig 229s and one Glock 23. My Sigs are both .40. One is double-single, the other is DAK. That means heavy trigger pull-first shot,followed by light subsequent shots for the DA/SA and constant smooth medium trigger pull for the DAK. I like them both. I use the DAK because my issued gun is also double-action only.
            My Glock is great, but it is too small for my hand at the tang area.
            You need to answer if you will carry the gun in defense of your life. Do not skimp on life-saving gear! If properly cared for, both brands are good guns. Find which one fits your hand at the grip and which one points naturally for you.
            If you get the Glock make sure that it has steel night sights. Night sights would be a plus on the Sig.
            Get yourself a copy of THE GUN DIGEST BOOK OF SIG-SAUER by Massad AYOOB before buying either gun.

Comment

Have carried the Glock 23 as back up for several years. Have since obtained a Glock 32 (357 Sig) and the .40 caliber barrel. Have never had any problem with either weapon. SIG is certainly a quality firearm, have never owned one, but have shot several. I really believe you would be well served with either. A lot of debate goes on about which /brand/caliber/action/finish/you name it is best. Sorta comes down to what do you prefer?

I have recommended to several folks that taking a little time and money to rent different firearms at a range,(we have a couple in the Dallas Ft. Worth area) and determine for yourself what is best.

Good luck with your training.

Comment

I had an HK USP compact and went through the academy with it. I loved it and was not altogether happy to swap it for a GLOCK23, but I sold the USP to a friend, so at least it is still in the "family". I shot the GLOCK for the first time today and I really liked it. My friend and USP were in the next lane so I went over and shot the USP...turns out I shoot quite a bit better with the GLOCK.

Point is, ignore price and opinions as much as possible. Shoot all the guns your agency allows and pick the one that feels right for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Ballen0351
                  The First time you draw you glock on the range and the Plastic front site post breaks off and you dont know how to put it on you will know why.
                  Yet another good reason to get some quality tritium sights then.
                  All Gave Some - Some Gave All

Comment

I think both are quality guns, but would go with the Sig.

I also recently found a site (cdnn) where you can get both the glock and the sig at a great price.

Comment

Originally posted by Resq14
                      Yet another good reason to get some quality tritium sights then.
                      Both guns are high quality and very reliable and proven in the "Real World". The one thing is true about Glocks is thier sights "They Suck!" Glock should really make steel sights standard, then offer night sights as optional. Not both regular and night as optional. Choose the one that you feel more confident with cause if you don't you won't have confidence with it when you have to step up to the plate in the real world. Take care. P.S. I own both a G23 & U.S.P 40 fullsize and love them both!
                      Last edited by Eddie C.; 08-02-2005, 08:44 PM.

Comment

Glock

I recently was granted the privelage of qualifying for my off duty carry weapon. It's a GLOCK 22 (.40 cal). I was suprised at the ease of the platform...that being said, I was able to place double shots in the same target hole. A total of 60 shots fired, with the range officer behind me watching, and marking 54 holes at the end of the day. The weapon fired, the target moved, the bullet went throught the same hole. I consider that pretty good. For what its worth, I trust the GLOCK when I did not think I would.

Comment

Sig has a lighter recoil than the Glock but that effin thing does jam a lot. I still love the hell outta the P229. It's the closest thing to the Nintendo Zapper I've played with.

For duty use I'd reccommend the glock. We actually are issued the S&W .40.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6473 users online. 352 members and 6121 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X