300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tactical Rifle

What brand and model would someone recommend for an M4/ AR15 styled rifle. If you qualify with one you can carry one for my dept. so I'm in the market for my first one. I would like an opinion for a "most bang for your buck" rifle as well as the "ideal, spare no expense" rifle. (I've come into some extra money lately and I'm not to worried about price) A lot of the guys I work with carry Colt I've noticed. I've always been a handgun/ shotgun person myself and know very little about these rifles other than shooting a fellow officers. I figured it would be a good tool to have since my dept. includes some rural area and I might need a little more "reach out and touch 'em". Thanks in advance.
    A society that makes war with its police had better learn to to make friends with its criminals.

Glock 22 (Issued)
    Kimber TLE-RL II (SRT)
    Colt LEO AR-15 (Patrol and SRT)

I know this is not a for sale area, but I have a Rock River Arms entry carbine with an Eotech 552 (the double A battery type) night vision compatible optical system. I am thinking of selling as I purchased it wothout really needing it. If you want one new set up exactly the same check www.securityarms.com, they sell new for $1225.00. The entry carbine is the same base model as the DEA spec AR that Rock River Arms makes under the government contract. Great rifles!!
    Trooperden, akman75, & azmichelle ignored

Comment

And I thought he was going to ask about the rifle used by the tactically deployed sharpshooter I have an Olympic K3B and have put more than 2K rounds through it without a hiccup. It will shoot 2" groups with me behind it and better with a better shooter. I'm more of a scope man, but can do okay with irons. Working on the EoThingy.
      " (T)o preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.... " Richard Henry Lee, 1788

Comment

The spare no expense model....

http://www.rockriverarms.com/item-de...TOKEN=87522247
        "You didn't think we give pretty women tickets? You're right, we don't."

Comment

Double check your policy to see what brands are allowed. Alot of departments restrict which brands you can purchase. My agency only allows Armalite, Bushmaster, Colt, and DPMS.

I don't like Colt for political reasons. Bushy's are overpriced and neighboring agencies have had some major quality control issues with them. I've never had the chance to run an Armalite on the range. So, for me, the obvious choice was DPMS. I'm VERY happy with it so far. I also know that a number of local agencies have them and are also very happy with them. Right now, DPMS seems to be the most popular of the privately purchased rifles in my agency. The Bushmaster is second most popular, though.

I really don't think you can go wrong buying one of the ABCD's and also include Rock River Arms into that. RRA is good stuff, too. Its hard to find a "bad" AR with the way they've been around and been improved for nearly 50 years.
          Nobody ever wants to have to fight, but its a darn good idea for someone to know how.

Comment

All of the above mentioned are good rifles, produced by reputable companies, and are built relatively the same.

It comes down to options. Do you want a chrome lined barrel, as offered by by Armalite or Bushmaster? Optional with RRA and Olyimpic.

Barrel steel? 4150 used by Bushmaster and Colt. 4140 used by Armalite, DPMS, Olympic, and RRA.

Hard-coat anodized receivers? Armalite, Bushmaster, Colt, and RRA. DPMS has a Teflon coating over their hard-coat.

Twist rate? 1:9 is the norm, with Bushmaster and Colt having 1:7 available by request.

Warranty? Lifetime with Armalite, Olympic, and RRA. 3 year with DPMS. 1 Year with Bushmaster and Colt.

Good luck with whichever you decide on! They are great rifles and I'm sure that you will love it.
            Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Comment

Originally posted by dep4532
              All of the above mentioned are good rifles, produced by reputable companies, and are built relatively the same.

It comes down to options. Do you want a chrome lined barrel, as offered by by Armalite or Bushmaster? Optional with RRA and Olyimpic.

Barrel steel? 4150 used by Bushmaster and Colt. 4140 used by Armalite, DPMS, Olympic, and RRA.

Hard-coat anodized receivers? Armalite, Bushmaster, Colt, and RRA. DPMS has a Teflon coating over their hard-coat.

Twist rate? 1:9 is the norm, with Bushmaster and Colt having 1:7 available by request.

Warranty? Lifetime with Armalite, Olympic, and RRA. 3 year with DPMS. 1 Year with Bushmaster and Colt.

Good luck with whichever you decide on! They are great rifles and I'm sure that you will love it.
              My problem is I don't know if I want barrel steel or chrome lined or what type of receiver I need, because I don't know the difference. (Sad to say but its true) I also don't know what difference twist rate will make on performance. I'm a handgun person myself and know very little about rifles, but I want to learn. Any info towards helping with a decision would be a great help.
              A society that makes war with its police had better learn to to make friends with its criminals.

Glock 22 (Issued)
              Kimber TLE-RL II (SRT)
              Colt LEO AR-15 (Patrol and SRT)

Comment

Originally posted by Jglad82PD
                My problem is I don't know if I want barrel steel or chrome lined or what type of receiver I need, because I don't know the difference. (Sad to say but its true) I also don't know what difference twist rate will make on performance. I'm a handgun person myself and know very little about rifles, but I want to learn. Any info towards helping with a decision would be a great help.
                It's much easier to clean a chrome lined barrel, than a standard barrel (This does become a factor when trying to clean out fouling). 4150 is stronger than 4140, but not so much that it really makes a difference (in my opinion). The 1:7 twist stabilizes the heavier rounds better, say 77gr and up.

I am a big fan of the chrome lined concept. All three of mine have chrome lined, 1:9 barrels. I've got two Bushmasters (a CAR-15 and a Modular Carbine), both of which are unmodified. My work rifle is a DPMS, which I have a Bushmaster chrome lined, M4 type barrel on it.
                Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Comment

My .02. Go ahead and get a chrome lined barrel and bolt. You will never probably shoot the thing enough to justify it, but it will make for easier cleaning. Some folks will say that it degrades accuracy. I really don't think you will notice, considering the purpose of the carbine.

1:9 vs. 1:7. Rifling "twist" is measured by "revolution per inch of barrel".

If you knew for certain that you were going to alway shoot ammo less that 60ish grains, I would say stay with the 1:9. The 1:7 was made to stabilize the longer and heavier 5.56 bullets, like the Hornady TAP stuff. The 1:7 will do you just fine for 55 grain stuff too. If you drop down into the 40 grain, high frangible stuff, it might give you a problem. Some folks might say that a 1:7 over stabilizes 55 grain bullets and limits wounding potential. Look, it is travelling about 3000 fps and hitting a solid/semi-solid object. Get real. It is going to make a hole.

Carbine design? It is up to you. The little M-4 styles with the colapsable stocks are neat. Some people have trouble shooting the little rifle. The stock is difficult for some to get a consistant cheak weld. The short sight radius is a problem for some. It does colaps down to a smaller package the fits in the car nicely. You can also adjust the stock length to fit varying thicknesses of body armor.

The "full sized" AR's are easier for me to shoot. They are not as well suited for me in close quarters. Some folks have gone to putting regular AR stocks on the shorter carbines to get the best of both. I handled a mid sized rifle a friend built. It was nice for sure.

Get one with a removable carry handle, then you have all you bases covered. If you go with an optic, I think a back up iron sight is a must. I like that the flat tops put the optic closer to the bore. AR's have wicked point of impact changes as you walk toward and away from the target. You are just going to have to shoot it an see. If you deside that you want "just a flat top" go on and get a back up sight.

You have as big a decision to make regarding ammo selection.
                  "In my life I have met many people who were quick to point a finger, and but a few that cared enough lift one"

ME

Comment

Well first you have to decide the purpose of the rifle/carbine. Are you looking for taking long shots or for close quarters? There are alot of different companies out there. Me personally I prefer the colt M4 as that is what I carry now. Now granted it's a Government contracted made by the lowest bidder weapon but it gets the job done. If your looking for medium to long range capability then go with the full length AR with a decent scope ACOGS are pretty good from what I've read and they take a banging without losing the zero. For short to medium go with the carbine. Mine is the M4 with the collapsable stock and the aimpoint m2 on it. Also are you looking at having the option of changing optics? If so go with a rifle that will have the removable carrying handle and a flip up front sight. Also if you go with optics have a flip up iron sight. My experiance has been with colt and Fabrique Nationale products so it's limited but I have never had a problem with the M4 I've been issued.
                    Professionalism always, courtesy until it's time not to be.

Comment

Our department has Colts but most that have bought their own rifles have gone with Bushmasters. I bought a Bushmaster and have had no problems with it. Another guy bought the same Bushmaster and he had a problem where a bolt wasn't staked and caused malfunctions. Bushmaster took care of the problem and sent some free stuff for his troubles. We got them from the same place for under 800 brand new. That left my budget open for some optics and a few other goodies. I probably spent another 800 when it was all said and done.

I think colt if overpriced and also don't care for their politics. Our sniper has an Armalite AR-10 and likes it. Can't say I have ever ran across anyone with Olympic or RRA. Another agency carries DPMS and I have heard no complaints from them.

I think you are safe with Bushmaster, DPMS, Armalite or Colt.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5030 users online. 329 members and 4701 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X