300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trigger Pull

One of the academy instructors told us that we should have our duty weapon's trigger pull set to 3-4 lbs. What are your thoughts? The factory setting on my XD-40 is 7 lbs according to the gauge I tested it on. Wouldn't a lighter trigger pull be more dangerous on the street even though it would be easier to shoot?
    "... They think I'm crazy... But I know better... It is not I who am crazy... It is I who am MAD!... Didn't you hear 'em? Didn't you see the crowds?!! Oh my beloved ice cream bar... How I love to lick your creamy center... And your oh-so-nutty chocolate covering... You're not like the others... You like the same things I do... Wax paper... Boiled football leather... Dog breath... WE'RE NOT HITCHHIKING ANYMORE... WE'RE RIDING...

--Ren Hoek, Space Madness

I don't pull my trigger, I squeeze it.

Seeing how I don't squeeze my trigger until my finger is on it, I don't see what difference it makes. I preferred a hair trigger on my old 1911, but my service weapon has the factory setting on it.
    You have no right to not be offended.-Neal Boortz

Comment

Originally posted by ArcLight
      One of the academy instructors told us that we should have our duty weapon's trigger pull set to 3-4 lbs. What are your thoughts? The factory setting on my XD-40 is 7 lbs according to the gauge I tested it on. Wouldn't a lighter trigger pull be more dangerous on the street even though it would be easier to shoot?
      More dangerous? How?

If you are trained properly, your finger shouldn't be on the trigger until you are going to fire.

If you are not doing that correctly, how is a couple of more pounds going to make a difference?
      Sign here. Press hard. You are making five copies.

Comment

Originally posted by AtlCop
        More dangerous? How?

If you are trained properly, your finger shouldn't be on the trigger until you are going to fire.

If you are not doing that correctly, how is a couple of more pounds going to make a difference?

Agreed. Just a theoretical question.
        "... They think I'm crazy... But I know better... It is not I who am crazy... It is I who am MAD!... Didn't you hear 'em? Didn't you see the crowds?!! Oh my beloved ice cream bar... How I love to lick your creamy center... And your oh-so-nutty chocolate covering... You're not like the others... You like the same things I do... Wax paper... Boiled football leather... Dog breath... WE'RE NOT HITCHHIKING ANYMORE... WE'RE RIDING...

--Ren Hoek, Space Madness

Comment

1. On single action semi-autos (1911's), a too light trigger can lead to full auto fire. This is a bad thing if you intend to hit your target. It can also cause ND's, when the lightest touch of the trigger creates loud noises.

2. I will not carry a gun lighter than 5 pounds. I have competition guns that are lighter, but they don't ever get pointed at people.

3. DON'T do the work yourself! If something goes wrong, you could end up on the liability seat.
          "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
          John Stuart Mill

Comment

Originally posted by Sleuth
            1. On single action semi-autos (1911's), a too light trigger can lead to full auto fire. This is a bad thing if you intend to hit your target. It can also cause ND's, when the lightest touch of the trigger creates loud noises.

2. I will not carry a gun lighter than 5 pounds. I have competition guns that are lighter, but they don't ever get pointed at people.

3. DON'T do the work yourself! If something goes wrong, you could end up on the liability seat.
            1. Not with proper trigger control by the user. Or are you talking about the slide going back into battery releasing the sear? That is not caused by a 3-4# trigger

2. I don't carry guns that heavy except for my shotgun or CAR

3. You are absolutely correct
            " (T)o preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.... " Richard Henry Lee, 1788

Comment

I am not a fan of jo jo the gun pumbler working on my gun giving it a "trigger job"

I keep my carry guns pretty much factory cept for grips or tact lights...
              Happy to be here proud to serve

"Well it appears this lock does not accept american express."

Never trust fire fighters to point out a suspect.

Comment

LOL! "Tact light". Is that a light that you shine on perps and they start acting polite? Where do I get one? Maybe we can shine one on Bodie while we're at it.
                You have no right to not be offended.-Neal Boortz

Comment

Badger, I have seen guns where the "shade tree gunsmith" swore it was a 3-4# trigger, right until it went full auto. If you file through the hardened surface, the sear wears until the gun goes BANG when you don't want it to.

A properly trained gunsmith can produce a 3-4# trigger, but I consider that too light on a service gun. If I decide I need to shoot, a 20# trigger will not matter (don't ask me how I know.)
                  "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
                  John Stuart Mill

Comment

trigger

Most departments (including mine) will not allow you to carry a weapon that has a "trigger job". It is definitely a liability issue as defense attorneys spin this into "you had it worked on so it would shoot easier?" type of attack. Factory trigger jobs are the only way to go.

Comment

mine breaks crisply at 4# with no creep. that's plenty light enough for a cocked and locked duty gun.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleuth
                        Badger, I have seen guns where the "shade tree gunsmith" swore it was a 3-4# trigger, right until it went full auto. If you file through the hardened surface, the sear wears until the gun goes BANG when you don't want it to.

A properly trained gunsmith can produce a 3-4# trigger, but I consider that too light on a service gun. If I decide I need to shoot, a 20# trigger will not matter (don't ask me how I know.)
                        What, no comment about the 5# gun? I agree with these comments. I do not agree that a trigger pull should be lightened, but polished mechanisms for a smoother more consistent pull is no problem. And I know how you know even though I haven't been there yet, and hopefully never will.
                        " (T)o preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.... " Richard Henry Lee, 1788

Comment

Badger, you & I seem to agree, after starting from different directions, on most things. I enjoy hearing (reading) other viewpoints.

And no, I went 27 years without firing a shot in self defense. But off the job, when a rattlesnake is in the path, I could pull a steel trigger straight through the backstrap of any gun made. I HATE them things! (At least around here, they are polite enough to let you know they are close.)
                          John Stuart Mill

Comment

I wish all the DBs would let you know where they were. It would make this job much easier, but unfortunately not as much fun.

Comment

Our agency mandates an 8 lb trigger in all weapons carried. I am hearing that the Sheriff is planning to make changes to that in the coming week, if not days stating you are allowed to keep the factory trigger that the weapon comes with. Kind of sucks because my Glock has a 3.5 lb in it and now I need to replace it with a friggen 8 lb.
                              sigpic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5137 users online. 282 members and 4855 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X