300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A good starter rifle?

i am looking to start shooting when i get back home and i was looking at purchasing a .22 rifle. does anybody have any suggestions to what make or model i should get? also any advice for a new shooter?

Ruger 10/22 is hard to beat.
    Hail hail the gang's all here, when the going gets tough I know my friends will still be there. - Drop Kick Murphys, "The Gang's all Here"

Comment

Originally posted by Welpe
      Ruger 10/22 is hard to beat.
      ok, i'll look into that, thanks

Comment

Marlin model #60 .22 cal. semi auto is cheaper and you don't need rotary clips and in my opinion it will also shoot tighter groups right out of the box.

Comment

Go with the Ruger 10/22. It's a great little rifle to learn on, and it operates much the same as larger caliber rifles.
          Extremism in the pursuit of liberty is no vice. Barry Goldwater

Comment

Ruger 10/22 hands down the best, Will last forever.
            Fewer cats in neighborhood

Comment

Any of the pump rifles I have shot are a blast to shoot and will slow you down a bit so you are forced to better work on accuracy.
              "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

The pumps like the model 61 are a lot of fun, but if you're looking for something to eventually transition to a full size rifle or duty rifle, again, I'd recommend the 10/22. They have a rotary mag., but you can buy extended 20 or 30 round conventional mags for them. A lot of shooting at a cheap price.
                Extremism in the pursuit of liberty is no vice. Barry Goldwater

Comment

Well, if we are talking conversion to a larger rifle then why not an AR-15 w/ a 22lr conversion kit.

The Ruger 10/22's are a lot of fun though and their are more parts available for them than about anything out there. You could do a total custom job on one for relatively cheap.
                  "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Originally posted by pkagel
                    Well, if we are talking conversion to a larger rifle then why not an AR-15 w/ a 22lr conversion kit.

The Ruger 10/22's are a lot of fun though and their are more parts available for them than about anything out there. You could do a total custom job on one for relatively cheap.
                    yah i want to use this to become a decent shooter so i will be able to move up eventually to a higher caliber. i assume these rifles will be cheaper to buy in America, how much do they usually run?

Comment

They really vary, You can get an AR15 for around 600 give or take, but realize their are a bunch of different variations, companies, accutrements, ect. Nail down what you want, what you want on it, ect, ect, before jumping in. I'd say find a flat top AR15 with a removable handle, Match H-Bar or equivelant and then go pick up the 22lr conversion kit for it.

Maybe I should start out with this. How much cash do you have?

Comment

They really vary, You can get an AR15 for around 600 give or take, but realize their are a bunch of different variations, companies, accutrements, ect. Nail down what you want, what you want on it, ect, ect, before jumping in. I'd say find a flat top AR15 with a removable handle, Match H-Bar or equivelant and then go pick up the 22lr conversion kit for it.

Maybe I should start out with this. How much cash do you have?
                        well i really don't want to spend too much, i was looking at maybe just 300$, and i do not think the ar15 is legal to posses in canada. i was looking at a bolt action rifle with some type of scope, also some i know nothing about, could you recommend a good scope?

Comment

I'm not a scope guy myself so somebody else will have to answer that but you should be able to get a nice 22lr used for less that $300. I have no idea where to get them in Canada or how you would import one to Canada though.

Comment

I'm not a scope guy myself so somebody else will have to answer that but you should be able to get a nice 22lr used for less that $300. I have no idea where to get them in Canada or how you would import one to Canada though.
                            i work for customs so i know how to import the rifle are there any good websites that show prices for the rifles?

Comment

gunbroker.com if you want to buy used in the US. As far as new, see if you can get a copy of Shotgun News as it has everything in it.

I honestly can't think of a bad bolt action rifle to buy. All the ones I have shot have been dead on accurate and a joy to shoot.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4413 users online. 248 members and 4165 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X