300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The perfect Elk Rifle?

I was looking at buyin a new Elk Rifle. I have heard alot about Remington's 300 Ultra Mag as being the new "weapon of choice" for big game. I was thinking about purchasing this with a muzzle break and installing a Burris 8x32 scope. Now, I am throwing this to the experts.....yeah or neah?
    There's no substitute for strength,
    and no excuse for a lack of it!!

I'd personally go with the 7mm Rem. magnum. Better all around gun.
    Trooperden, akman75, & azmichelle ignored

Comment

Originally posted by 6233108
      I'd personally go with the 7mm Rem. magnum. Better all around gun.
      I'll second the vote for the 7 mag, it's flatter shooting than the 300, and with bullets such as the 175 gr speer grand-slam it makes a dandy elk rifle...you might want to rethink the muzzle brake, I never had a problem with a conventional rifle in 7mm mag.
      "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." John Wayne The Shootist

"A nation which does not remember what it was yesterday, does not know what it is today"
      General Robert E. Lee, at Appomattox, Va

Comment

338 Lapua?

Have you considered 338 Lapua, I have shot one before and let me tell you "Damm" whatever gets hit stays hit and their Mamma will feel it too!

Comment

Ruger M77 .308 took mine down last year no problem! Almost took me down too, but it is a pretty big gun for someone my size. You however would have no problem!
          She wants someone to call her angel, Someone to put the light back in her eyes...

In honor of: Cpl Chad Powell USMC Killed In Action Fallujah, Iraq June 23, 2005

Comment

I personally don't see enough difference in the 30-06 class of rifles and the 7mm mag to justify the magnum. I know the magnim is more gun on paper, but not enough to make difference in the field.

Now. If you are hunting difficult terrain, you might consider one of the new short magnums. I like smaller lighter rifles anyways.

If you want a full sized magnum rifle, I would go with the ultra mags. They justify to me as magnums.
            "In my life I have met many people who were quick to point a finger, and but a few that cared enough lift one"

ME

Comment

I agree to an extent, my grandfather, who hunted Montana, every year till alziemers took over, used a Savage Model 99, in 300 savage. He limited his shots to less than 300 yards, and knew his rifle (bought it in 1920's) it's shot placement. This being said I still like the 7mm Mag. the .06 is a good round, BUT it won't ever outshoot a 7mm Mag.
              "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." John Wayne The Shootist

"A nation which does not remember what it was yesterday, does not know what it is today"
              General Robert E. Lee, at Appomattox, Va

Comment

Don't worry about your caliber choice. Pick something with enough power that you can shoot well and not develop a flinch with. Some people's envelope of pain tolerance is a 30-06. I know others that can shoot .416 Rems all day, and those that don't like anything more than a .243. Whatever you pick make sure you can shoot it well. If you want a MB, go with a Browning A-Bolt with the BOSS, you can also get it in Conventional Recoil (no ports). 7 Rem Mag is a good choice and a lot of 7mm bullets have better BC than .30 cal bullets. You could also try one of WSSM chamberings .270 or above. Happy Shopping!
                " (T)o preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.... " Richard Henry Lee, 1788

Comment

Well, I've had good luck with my old Marlin 336 in .35 Remington. In my area, most shots are within 150 yards and if I do my part, it's a good round, and easier on the shoulder than the magnums.

Comment

The perfect Elk rifle is the one with enough sectional density and foot pounds of kinetic energy that you can shoot with confidence and with acuracy and the proper ammount of veloicty to make a clean kill. Elk have been cleanly harvested with small calibers such as the .243 and large calibers such as a .444 or .50 cal. It all depends on shot placement and your ammount of practice to be confident with the weapon.

Comment

IMO, a .270 at minimum. A magnum is not necessary unless thats what you want. I went with a .30-06 rem 700 bdl with a bushnell elite 3200 scope 2x-7x and burris dual dovetail scope mounts. I like the setup.
                      Last edited by TradArcher; 07-16-2005, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TradArcher
                        IMO, a .270 at minimum. A magnum is not necessary unless thats what you want. I went with a .30-06 rem 700 bdl with a bushnell elite 3200 scope 2x-7x and burris dual dovetail scope mounts. I like the setup.
                        I use my .270 for Antelope, because it is dialed in for 300+ yds, and where I live the elk are no more than 10yds! LOL! Easy hunting in these mountains, but the Wyoming plains make it difficult to get the Antelope. Have to belly crawl, and PRAY!

When I did hunt in AZ, the elk were typically at 50-100yds depending on how much scent killer you used and simply how good of luck you had.

I am still a firm believer that you could take one down with a .22 long rifle if you were a good enough head shot and close enough!
                        When I'll be the girl that you love, you'll be the boy that I hate...

Comment

"I am still a firm believer that you could take one down with a .22 long rifle if you were a good enough head shot and close enough!"

A lot of locals up here in Northern New Mexico use the old tried and true Win 94 .30-30 and do just fine. As was said, hit anything in the right place and it's going down. I don't think I'd be far wrong to say that the two most popular rounds in this area are the .30-30 and .30-06. One retailer says he sells a lot of .303 too, and one guy I know carries a .30-40 Krag for deer, elk, and bear, and swears by it.

Comment

I wouldn't hunt "Elks", only because they sometimes donate stuff for the various programs we put on.....

Comment

Originally posted by Vtfuzz
                              I wouldn't hunt "Elks", only because they sometimes donate stuff for the various programs we put on.....
                              Guess that rules out moose hunting then, too.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4997 users online. 304 members and 4693 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X