300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• revolvers?

I'm not an officer, but I am curious as to whether or not any departments/agencies still issue revolvers, and if so, what kind?

When I was on the Weed & Seed task force(1997-2001) I worked with some US Marshals. they said the the USMS still issued 357's. I dont know if it has changed since.

NC Probation/Parole S&W 357. They were on the task force also.

Comment

I don't really understand why .357's aren't more widespread. Although they only have six shot capacities, other than some wide frame taurus models, they are very powerful. I guess they're not as reliable as pistols?

Comment

Cleveland Heights Police Department in Cleveland Heights, Ohio still issues Ruger GP100's in .357 Magnum. Sergeants and up can carry Colt Pythons. SWAT members are issued Sig 226 9mm. Clev.Hts. is a suburb of Cleveland with a Pop. of 54,000.
        Trooperden, akman75, & azmichelle ignored

Comment

thanks for the input.

Comment

Originally posted by nybyrne
            NC Probation/Parole S&W 357. They were on the task force also.

They are the only ones I've seen in NC still carrying revolvers. They fall under the Department of Corrections so prison guards carry them also.

Comment

I don't know of any agencies in Wisconsin that still issue revolvers I do know a couple of guys on small agencies that still carry them by choice. The Federal Marshall Service issues Glock 22s.
              Extremism in the pursuit of liberty is no vice. Barry Goldwater

Comment

Originally posted by keith758
                I don't know of any agencies in Wisconsin that still issue revolvers I do know a couple of guys on small agencies that still carry them by choice. The Federal Marshall Service issues Glock 22s.
                Do they carry one on each hip?
                Bill Cosby: Stewie, what do you think candy is made out of?
                Stewie Griffin: Sunshine and farts! What the hell kind of question is that?!

Comment

The guys that still have the revolvers both, (I can only think of 2!) carry S&W 686s. They only work part time. When I started, the first handgun I was issued was a S&W 15, then a 66. Until I went to a semi-Auto, I never felt that I wasn't up to any challenge issued. The revolver is their choice, and if they are proficient with it, I'll respect that choice. That being said, I'd never go back to a revolver as a duty weapon.
                  Extremism in the pursuit of liberty is no vice. Barry Goldwater

Comment

would like to work for a agency that issues a weapon....
                    " if you talk in your sleep, don't mention my name....
                    " if you walk in your sleep, forget where you came....

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo2457
                      I don't really understand why .357's aren't more widespread. Although they only have six shot capacities, other than some wide frame taurus models, they are very powerful. I guess they're not as reliable as pistols?

Dont know much about guns do ya. Revolers are no longer widespead issue weapons for a number of reasons.
                      1. The myth that cops are undergunned. With a few notable exceptions, your average beat cop would be well served with a revolver. WIth that said, I want the cops to have the newest, best weapons available to them.

2. Take for example the Glock. An officer can carry his weapon and 46 rounds of ammo, and it all weighs less than just a Smith M19 .357. This is a good thing. Less weight on the duty belt makes for less back pain for the officer.

3. And this one is strictly my own opinion so take it for what its worth. A lot of younger officers just like the "coolness" factor.

Comment

The USMS changed their issue weapon from a Ruger GP100 357 to the Glock 22 about 2 years ago. They had previously had a very liberal handgun policy, however that has changed also.

I don't know about anyone issuing revolvers in WI. My department still has 3 or 4 guys who are authorized to carry revolvers. All of them carry a revolver as a primary firearm. I only know of 1 city copper who carries a revolver. He is not a gun guy and hardly a cop guy. He still carries his ammo on a belt slide, no speed loaders. IMHO, that is pretty crazy.
                        Nobody ever wants to have to fight, but its a darn good idea for someone to know how.

Comment

Logic Is Simple

Years ago we figured out that pistols are easier to qaulify with for many people then the revolver. Foret higher capacity etc, it all boiled down to who could get the most people qualified etc.
                          We had a few die hards that were for a short time allowed to keep their revolver but once enough 9 MM's were purchased those were taeken away too.

I started with an old Model 10 and moved to a few different S&W pistols and would never revert back to even the Model 66 or 27 I had carried.

Revolvers = Antiques in this career.

Comment

Originally posted by Bodie
                            I started with an old Model 10 and moved to a few different S&W pistols and would never revert back to even the Model 66 or 27 I had carried.

Revolvers = Antiques in this career.
                            How close is Bodie to antique status?
                            Trooperden, akman75, & azmichelle ignored

Comment

Originally posted by Bodie
                              I wouldn't volunteer to do it, but I wouldn't really mind if I went back to my Model 10. It's rock-solid reliable, I practiced to the point I could reload it as fast an an auto, and with the right ammo it's plenty powerful enough. It's all about shot placement, anyway.

The last I checked (couple of years ago) the MA Department of Correction was still carrying revolvers, the S&W Model 64 I think.
                              Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4883 users online. 295 members and 4588 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X