300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Night Sights

I have the option to have night sights put on my service weapon (I think I will choose a Glock 22). I was wondering what you other officers thought about night sights. Are they a tactical advantage? Are there drawbacks?

Not an officer, but night sights are definitely an advantage when shooting in the dark. Can't think of any drawbacks, but I'm sure someone here can. I have Trijicon night sights on my GLOCK 22, and they work very well. Only caution I'd give is to get a set of mixed colors, e.g. orange rear sights and green front sight. It's never happened to me, but our instructor warned us that if your front and rear sights are the same color, in the heat of the moment it's possible to get the sights level but get the front sight outside the rear sights.
    The different color sights prevent that.
    *Not a cop*

Comment

I have a different take on sights. I like my sights plain black. If I have to shoot at night I use the flashlight and get a flash picture of the sights. If it is dark enough that you need night sights then how can you be sure of whom your shooting at. Just my opinion, an awful lot of others disagree with me.
      "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Originally posted by pkagel
        I have a different take on sights. I like my sights plain black. If I have to shoot at night I use the flashlight and get a flash picture of the sights. If it is dark enough that you need night sights then how can you be sure of whom your shooting at. Just my opinion, an awful lot of others disagree with me.
        exactly how i feel. they're worthless. i've had them on two guns, but not on any of my current ones. in order to see them, it has to be so dark you can't see the target. any light at all and it'll be too bright to see them. i don't know anyone who's been in a gunfight that actually remembers lining up their sights and taking an aimed shot. all of them were just pointing and shooting as fast as they could trying to hide.

if anything, get a fiber optic front sight. i have one on my shotgun. it takes available light and magnifies it. i've been debating on putting one on my duty gun. i don't see any need to have bright rear sights.

Comment

Last edited by shiv357; 10-15-2007, 10:26 PM.

Comment

Just my 2cents.
            I think tritium sights are invaluable on a duty weapon. They are most useful in low light situations, not so useful when there is no light. The need to identify your target is paramount, I would recommend a tactical light if possible.
            I highly agree with the use of orange or yellow for rear and green for front if possible, however the green/green also works well.
            The chances of using your sights in a close quarters combat situation is rare, however if you need a precision shot you will probably need to use them depending on the distance. Granted the weapon of choice for a precision shot would not be a handgun.

Comment

BTW, you said you were choosing the G22, why and what are your other options?
              "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

I've got them on my duty gun and will have them on my backup shortly.

I also feel that they are invaluable in a low light fight. I've had situations where the target could be seen but my black sights were all but invisible, the dots were the only thing that made it feasible to aim. I have a light on my gun and the light it gives off to the rear is minimal and doesn't necessarily allow a great sight picture like using a hand-held light in the FBI position would.

The idea of using mixed colors is, imho, an old wives tale. I've tried to replicate this "problem" and haven't been able to do so on the range. To get the gun lined up so far off that the front sight is outside the rear sight notch but still visible requries a very different feel on the grip. I think I would know immediately if my gun was that far off by how my grip was, if I could even do it "naturally". I've shot a few guns with the mixed colors (orange rear, green front) and found them to be very distracting.
                Nobody ever wants to have to fight, but its a darn good idea for someone to know how.

Comment

Night sights are a good idea, however no sight is gonna be worth the money if you can't see what your aiming at. I would have to say do what you feel is best for you. Fire a weapon you may be caring with the colors of the sights the same and diff colors. But night sights are not a substitue for a good light to ID your target.
                  Professionalism always, courtesy until it's time not to be.

Comment

service weapon choices

BTW, you said you were choosing the G22, why and what are your other options?
                    I thought the G22 felt best in my hand. It seems to me like the 40cal is a good compromise between the 9mm and 45 (although the academy instructors seem to like the 45 better). I also like the fact that Glocks have no manual safety switch, so you can just pick it up and be ready to fire.

You might be able to tell that I haven't handled firearms much so I just want to keep things simple until I learn more in the academy.

Our other choices are:

Glock 17, 19, 22, 23, 21, 30

Sig Sauer P-220, P-225, P-226, P-228, P-229, P-245

Beretta 92 (9mm or 40cal), 96 (9mm or 40cal), Cougar (9mm, 40, or 45)

Springfield Armory XD (9mm or 40cal)

Comment

Can you find somebody to let you shoot the Sigs and the Glocks? You wouldn't belive the difference in scores we had at my academy from every person who switched from Glocks to Sigs and HKs in my academy.

Comment

I like the idea of the fiber optic sight best - but I have not tried one at night on a handgun.

I certainly agree with the importance of clearly identifying your target, so a good tactical light is essential.

One disadvantage of the tritium night sights is that they can be too bright as it gets darker - so much so as to detract from your target.

My prefered shooting method using a flashlight is an alternative suggested by D.R. Middlebrooks in his book FIST-FIRE. You hold your pistol in your strong hand and your light in the other so that it shines on your sights and your target. This allows the use of any type of sights and a wide range of flashlights. In addition, the suspect may be temporarily blinded by the light, and if they can see, they see that you have a gun pointed at them - a strong deterant IMHO.

The obvious disadvantage is that you only have one hand on your gun - which can only be remedied by a gun mounted light, but then you need some sort of night sight on your gun... it's all a balance.

Comment

Night sights are needed on every carry gun - I have them on 3. They are best when you can see the target, but not your sights. They do not replace a flashlight, but if someone is shooting at you from the dark, it's nice to provide aimed fire back.
                          And I have investigated officer involved shootings where the officers clearly saw their sights. If you have them, they do not detract from your abilities, but expand your options. Many of these flashlight positions work great on the square range, but fail in a cold, wet, dirty alley at o'dark thirty, when you need one hand for something else (stability, holding a self closing door open, etc.).
                          Put them all in your tool box, so you can "adapt, improvise, and overcome".
                          "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
                          John Stuart Mill

Comment

Originally posted by gunslinger
                            (although the academy instructors seem to like the 45 better)
                            All the old guys like the 45 better

You wouldn't belive the difference in scores we had at my academy from every person who switched from Glocks to Sigs and HKs in my academy.
                            Hmm, thats interesting. And, I'd have to say I'm not sure I entirely believe it. I have personally seen DOZENS who switched from Beretta, Sig, H&K, and S&W to Glock. On average, their scores have gone up 10%. This has been from 2 rather large departments (one a SO, the other a PD).
                            Nobody ever wants to have to fight, but its a darn good idea for someone to know how.

Comment

Originally posted by gunslinger
                              I have the option to have night sights put on my service weapon...Are there drawbacks?...

The dirtbag standing behind you in the dark can see them too.
                              A true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.

-GK Chesterton

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5007 users online. 314 members and 4693 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X