300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6.8x43mm Remington SPC

Any thoughts on this "new" round for urban use???
    There's no substitute for strength,
    and no excuse for a lack of it!!

From what I've read and seen, I would say it makes HUGE sense for the military. For LE, however, I see it as an answer to an unasked question. As we are allowed expanding/frangible ammo for 5.56, I still think that is the supreme carbine caliber for LE. I haven't seen too much testing of the 6.8x43 for use in 'normal' American urban areas. I've seen alot of testing in mud, brick, thatched building material as is popular in those special places . It has shined in that testing and in real life use by .Mil guys overseas.
    Nobody ever wants to have to fight, but its a darn good idea for someone to know how.

Comment

Tough to say with the limited availability of ammo these days.

I think when the supply meets the demand then you should look at it, but until then I would hold off of it (unless you have a very good inside source at remington ammo).

Comment

All good points, as usual, I have heard the typical argument on both sides of course. I just heard that the .223 is not cutting it, unless your varmint hunting.

I have heard that the M16 is failing too but, as with anything, real life R & D will force modifications and I am sure they will reinforce in order to accept that bigger round. I just hope our boys get what theyre aimin at before their rifle goes "tango-uniform" if you know what I mean.

Comment

The biggest problem with the 5.56 round is the M-4 barrel length at 14.5 inches it reduces the terminal ballistics to somewhere around 50 meters.

Out of a 20 inch M16A4 barrel the terminal ballistics are still around 250 meters.

Just to give you an idea of what the 5.56 terminal ballistics look like vs the 7.62 (.308)
          M855

M193

7.62X51

I don't claim to be a ballistics expert by any means but someone with an impeccable resume gave me this info so take it for what its worth.

YMMV

Comment

Originally posted by GoGo Gadget
            Dude, it goes without saying that a .308 hits WAYYY harder than a 5.56mm. Your charts show that, plus a comparison of the old round for an M16A1 vs. the newer round (20yrs ago) designed for the M16A2.
            True but the 5.56 in the charts provided produced tissue damage.

Originally posted by GoGo Gadget
            What does that have to do with the 6.8SPC?
            I was addressing azchopshops comment of about the ineffectiveness of the 5.56.

Comment

Like I said I'm not a ballisitics guy....I'm just passing what little knowledge I have on.

M-16 Rifle (20" barrel) w/M193 ammo:
              Longer barrel and faster, lighter bullet has higher MV
              Will fragment and wound effectively out to 200m.
              Will outpenetrate the M-4/M855 out to 100m. or more
              Has longer sight radius which is generally conducive to better accuracy

M-4 Carbine (14.5" barrel) w/M855 ammo:
              Slower round, shorter barrel = significantly reduced MV
              Will not fragment and wound effectively beyond 75m. or so
              Will not penetrate effectively as the M-16/M193
              Has shorter sight radius and is almost always less accurate
              Is now being fielded to units with inadequate marksmanship training and maintenance programs
              My bad I short changed it by 25 meters and used "terminal ballistics" incorrectly.

Comment

Smokin Joe, nice quotes, but who are they from?

As to the original question, since the average police engagement range for snipers is under 100 yards, and for most shootings even less, I think the 5.56 will do with expanding bullets.

Besides, look at the cost savings as all those "tactical black" guys sell their barely used 5.56 rifles so they can be even more ""tactical"" with the 6.8!
                "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
                John Stuart Mill

Comment

I won't debate the rounds against one another but as far as cost goes, the departments would just need to upgrade to new uppers, not new guns since both rounds can use the same lower receivers.

I really don't know why we'd be worrying about sniping with the AR anyway. What is wrong with the Remington 700 in .308 when it comes to sniping, it's worked good for years.

The .223 with a short barrell should be used for exactly what it is currently being used for CQB. It is not a long range sniping weapon so why try to make it into one.

Originally posted by Sleuth
                  Besides, look at the cost savings as all those "tactical black" guys sell their barely used 5.56 rifles so they can be even more ""tactical"" with the 6.8!
                  "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

All I know is the price they are asking for these rifles is going to keep them OUT of many PD's as well as $$$ ammo when compared to 5.56.
                    Trooperden, akman75, & azmichelle ignored

Comment

Interesting GoGogadget,

I didn't come here to pick a fight nor to debt the topic. I really could give ****....truely...I don't care.

But I guess you have to agrue the point. I told you right off the bat that I wasn't a ballisitic guy. Secondly my source "Deep Throat" as you so like to insult him. Just retired out of one of the few Military entites that is the FORE GOING AUTHORITY when it comes to weapons and how effective they are at killing people. Not because he is a desk jokey who looks a stats all day but because up until last year he was killing bad guys in bad places. Now he works for a civilian company that runs some of the best LEO training in the world....maybe you've meet him?

I'm not going to diviluge my source...because to me this arguement doesn't really even need to happen but you think it does so from now on have a great one sided debate....because I DON'T CARE. I will trust my source over you any day of the week PERIOD!

Oh and do have a nice day.

Comment

I'll ask him to.

I'm not running and hiding. I am not educated enough in ballisitics to effective debate the issue with you.

And for clarification. My source thinks the M-4 is great for up close stuff however as a main battle rifle the thinks the M16A4 is the way to go. But everyone shot be shooting LeMas BMT....not M193.

Comment

Ow! my head hurts, stop it you two.....lol

Comment

With "patrol" rifles as with handguns, I stay with my basic ""BUllistics"" course:

Internal Ballistics: Who Cares
                            External Ballistics: See above
                            Terminal Ballistics: SHOT PLACEMENT, SHOT PLACEMENT, SHOT PLACEMENT

Any questions?
                            "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
                            John Stuart Mill

Comment

Originally posted by Sleuth
                              With "patrol" rifles as with handguns, I stay with my basic ""BUllistics"" course:

Internal Ballistics: Who Cares
                              External Ballistics: See above
                              Terminal Ballistics: SHOT PLACEMENT, SHOT PLACEMENT, SHOT PLACEMENT

Any questions?
                              And continued SHOT PLACEMENT until the threat ceases to be present.
                              " (T)o preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.... " Richard Henry Lee, 1788

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5232 users online. 297 members and 4935 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X