300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9mm, .40 or .45

I apologize if this is beating a dead horse. Did a quick search and didn't see anything other than the thread going on right now about ammo. My department is giving me the choice of a 9mm, .40 or .45. I'm not a big gun guy, so I don't know a whole lot about my options and I have a limited time to decide (next few days). I was hoping some of you guys could just give me a quick opinion on which weapon I would want as my department issue. Thanks alot for your help.
    For the cops out there: You are an adult. If you want to write someone, write them. If you don't want to write someone, then don't write them.

"Jeff, you are the best cop on this board"-Anonymous Post

Well I'm a big .45 fan, but what you didn't tell us is what kind of guns are they supplying if any. Or is it like my department where I supply the gun of my choosing and they supply the ammo.
    Ultimately it's what gun you can shoot well and is there options for BUG's.
    For example will you have a G22 or 23 where you can then have a G27 as a BUG.
    "The policeman is sent by God to help you. But if you are doing something wrong, of course you should be afraid, for he will will have you punished. He is sent by God for that very purpose" - Rom 13:4

Comment

Eight threads below!
      The People's Republic of Massachusetts

Communications | Technology | Social Media
      Twitter Facebook

Comment

I'm still on days. Just started and so far no administrative people have told me anything about it. The guys just started asking what gun I was going to get, out of the three so I don't even know if they will buy whatever I want, or certain models.
        For the cops out there: You are an adult. If you want to write someone, write them. If you don't want to write someone, then don't write them.

Comment

If your not a big "gun-guy", I would lean toward the 9mm. Less recoil than the .40S&W or .45ACP.

Even then, IMHO a 9mm semi-auto is not really a beginner's handgun. Practice shooting as much as you can (~1/month) to remain proficient. Also consider dry-firing at home as well (no ammo anywhere near the gun). Include practice for clearing jams (Tap, Rack, Ready drill).

Good luck.

Comment

Personally, I like the .40 cal sig 226.

Comment

my .02 cents 9mm.
              If your weapon can handle it put +p rounds threw it, that is all you will need

Comment

My opinion:
                How you shoot is more important than what you shoot. The *best* gun for you is the one that you shoot best and feel more comfortable carrying and shooting.

My suggestion therefore is to find out what choices exactly they are offering and check them out. See if you can get some old timers to let you check out theirs preferably at a range so you can see what you shoot best with.

A 9mm in the target is better than 10 .45s flying past the target.

Now if you shoot well with all 3 and all other things being equal I would personally go with a .40. I think it is the best compromise between caliber and capacity. Both of which you need. It has almost the capacity of a 9mm which is the 9mm's strength, and it has almost the power of a .45 which is its strength. Over all a very adequate LE round. IMHO.

But I can't over emphasize how you can't hurt what you don't hit so a .22 in a bad guy will save your life much better than .50 exploding round that misses him. Best to carry what you can shoot best with.

Comment

Thanks for the input!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3940 users online. 239 members and 3701 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X