300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9mm vs. 40S&W vs. 45ACP

If this has been beaten to death let me know but I have a question and am curious to see what the concensus here is.

I'm in the market to change out my duty weapon. I'm looking at going with a full size H&K. I'm a 45 ACP fan myself as my 1911 is my best all around pistol.

What do you guys and gals think the best round for a duty sidearm is? I personally like the 45 for its knock down power, but I'd like to see what other people think.
    "No sir, we don't have quotas anymore. We used to have quotas, but now we're allowed to write as many tickets as we want."

Can of worms opened
    "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

My intent is not to "open a can of worms" but to ask a serious question of those of us that do the job. I know people that will only use 45 while others like +P 9mm. I'm just curious of the rounds not the WEAPONS.
      "No sir, we don't have quotas anymore. We used to have quotas, but now we're allowed to write as many tickets as we want."

Comment

Personally, I like the .40. It has more power than the 9mm, doesn't kick as much as the .45, and is more "cost effective."
        Extremism in the pursuit of liberty is no vice. Barry Goldwater

Comment

OK, I'll bite, I also cut my teeth on the 1911 and switched to the HK USP 45. I choose 45 because it is a low pressure round that is fat, simple as that. I believe the 40 eats too many guns and the 9mm is just not fat enough. I think though that if I was forced to switch to another round it would be the 357 Sig round.

As far as your choice in the HK it is a very natural swap from the 1911 hence the reason I chose it.
          "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

I have an H&k U.S.P. 40 full size variant #1. It is a good swap from the 1911 cause you can carry it cocked & locked "condition 1" or traditional da/sa mode. You could also opt for the "L.E.M." law enforcement modification,double action all the time with a decent trigger pull.Let us know what your final choice will be!

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie C.
              I have an H&k U.S.P. 40 full size variant #1. It is a good swap from the 1911 cause you can carry it cocked & locked "condition 1" or traditional da/sa mode. You could also opt for the "L.E.M." law enforcement modification,double action all the time with a decent trigger pull.Let us know what your final choice will be!
              Tru Dat, my USP's single action trigger pulls are 4 Lbs. 4 Oz. and 4 Lbs. 7 Oz. respectively. I have two (1998 and 2005) USP 45 V1's. Large guns.
              Trooperden, akman75, & azmichelle ignored

Comment

What does it take to do the LEM mod to a V1?

Comment

You probably have to find a local "certified" H&K armorer and it should be as easy as swaping out the trigger guts.If no local armorer then you'll have to send it to H&K in Virginia so that they can do the job;best to call them and find out the turn around tim on it. Site is www.hk-usa.com.

Comment

My opinion......

I think they are all capable rounds. I do think the .40 as far a recoil goes is "snappy" and my springy 45 handles much better. I would rather carry my 45 but dept. issues GLOCK 40.

I'd choose 45 myself - much more you can do to adapt it (base gun) to your needs or wants. Obviously though its a personal choice - go with what your comfortable. If you have faith in your 45 I wouldn't use anything else.
                    There is no greater love - than that of a man - that will give his life for another.

If God carried a gun - it would be a 1911

Comment

Originally posted by halfacop
                      My opinion......

I think they are all capable rounds. I do think the .40 as far a recoil goes is "snappy" and my springy 45 handles much better. I would rather carry my 45 but dept. issues GLOCK 40.

I'd choose 45 myself - much more you can do to adapt it (base gun) to your needs or wants. Obviously though its a personal choice - go with what your comfortable. If you have faith in your 45 I wouldn't use anything else.
                      Bah, they won't notice if you carry a Glock 21 in lieu of the Glock 22. I guess unless they have to dig a slug out of someone. Then there might be trouble.

To me, it begs the question...why do departments issue one particular gun? Why not allow an officer to carry whatever he wants? Within reason, of course. Glock, H&K, Colt 1911 (or variant), Sig, Beretta...

I know a lot of departments do that. Do others choose not to just for simplicity?
                      Bill Cosby: Stewie, what do you think candy is made out of?
                      Stewie Griffin: Sunshine and farts! What the hell kind of question is that?!

Comment

Originally posted by Puget Sound
                        To me, it begs the question...why do departments issue one particular gun? Why not allow an officer to carry whatever he wants? Within reason, of course. Glock, H&K, Colt 1911 (or variant), Sig, Beretta...

?
                        It's called staying inside the box and being uniform and cheap when you consider armoring the fleet (the real reason Glock sells to PD's at an astounding rate) anyone with a 9th grade education can armor a Glock.
                        Trooperden, akman75, & azmichelle ignored

Comment

Originally posted by 6233108
                          It's called staying inside the box and being uniform and cheap when you consider armoring the fleet (the real reason Glock sells to PD's at an astounding rate) anyone with a 9th grade education can armor a Glock.
                          I must be lucky - we're issued H&K's

Comment

Right - simplicity is huge. Plus having everyone shoot the same round is cheaper. They don't have to buy a mismatch of everything for qualification days. They can get one nice price on 40's and be done with it.

You don't have the problem when the "shooting" happens either. Dept doesn't want to try to explain why the young, over eager, trigger happy cop needs to carry "that big 45", when everyone else carries the 40.

Our reserve troops have always been able to carry what they want (approved by the dept) but now even they have to start transitioning over to the G40. Heck - and they are a volunteer force and buy their own guns!

I agree, make them buy the ammo (range day not duty) and let them carry what they feel comfortable with. I'd be carrying my Kimber in a heart beat!
                            There is no greater love - than that of a man - that will give his life for another.

If God carried a gun - it would be a 1911

Comment

My department is limited on the guns we can use. We choose from the garage sale Rugers, Berettas, Smith and Wesson and Sig Sauer. We have to maintain a 9mm. So I have the Sig P226 9mm. For my off duty weapon I have the Sig P245, and on duty I carry the P220STR, it's a .45 its a little heavier that the 9mm seeing that it is a full stainless frame and slide, but with its weight it fires like a rifle, smooth and low recoil. We are trying to implement the .40 but I never have personally shot a .40 the only upside I hear about that round is capacity goes up. My theory on that is simple, hit the intended target where you plan on hitting it, and capacity won't matter right?
                              "I am the guy that keeps Mister Dead in his pocket." -'Mad' Max Rockatansky

"An Englewood Ranger is no stranger to Danger.." -Unk

Good Night Chesty Where Ever You Are.

A Good Friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "That was Awesome."

Second City Cop

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2392 users online. 105 members and 2287 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X