300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1911 fan

i went to the range with a buddy of mine and got to fire his mil-spec Springfield 1911. i'm an H&K man but i definatly like the change of pace the 1911 offers and i shot it with plent of accuracy. i was not a fan of the unpainted iron sights especially with black-bullseye targets. but i really enjoyed shooting it and it kinda gave me the bug to get one myself.

i wasn't very impressed with the rough nature of the mil-spec. i perfer a little more polish and refinement. i also don't want to get to expensive. i'm looking at the Springfield GI stainless model. anyone else have recomendations? of course there's kimber, para and colt and some of the pricier customs (les baer, wilson tactical) but i want to keep it in the 500-700 range.

Plenty of aftermarket sights out there. Funy you say that though, I painted in the dots black on my HK as I didn't like the dots.
    "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

i could be wrong but i'm pretty sure the sights on the mil-spec are not replaceable. plus they are too low-profile to add dots.

Comment

Nobody said you couldn't get dovetails milled in
        "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Another convert to one fine handgun - welcome!
          "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
          John Stuart Mill

Comment

Originally posted by pkagel
            Nobody said you couldn't get dovetails milled in
            that's true but i've already decided against the Mil-Spec because it's got terible fit and finish. and i'm not really excited abut buying a gun that requires 'milling'. it seems a little smarter to just go for one with the features i want.

Comment

I would agree, probably save a lot of money that way. You might find somebody with a used Kimber for sale on GunBroker.com.

Comment

I have the Springfeild GI Micro compact and love it!! I'm a lefty and have a real hard time finding anything but an ambi-holster for a reasonable price. As for the sights I just used a little white out for a shade tree fix on the front sight and I drill the same holes as the buddy of mine who paid a grand for the Kimber of the same size. I paid 430 for mine and would have paid more just to have it. My wife calls it my American Express Card.
                After the pin is pulled, Mr. Hand Grenade is no longer your friend.

"Shut the door I'm tryin to poop!" - Larry the Cable Guy

(\__/)
                (O.o )
                (> < )

Comment

Originally posted by benchmademan
                  i perfer a little more polish and refinement. i also don't want to get to expensive. i'm looking at the Springfield GI stainless model. anyone else have recomendations?

is this enough polish for you? it's my duty gun; a stainless springfield GI.

whiteout on the front sight makes a world of difference and lasts a good long time. i like the low profile sights.

Comment

Holy CR.. I'm blind That thing is bright!

Comment

that's pretty! i'm not sure i'm looking for that much bling but it'll just be for range use so i'd take it if i found a good deal on it! as for whiteout on the sights...i can afford to upgrade the sights to something a little better (and permanent).

Comment

You can always find a nice Para for under $600, or a Springfield. They really aren't that expensive compared to a Colt or Kimber, and their quality is just about as good.

Comment

I'd say their quality is better than the newer Colts. The only thing they have been making of any quality since 90 is the SAA's.

Comment

If you like or want to more about 1911's try this site:

http://forums.1911forum.com/

Great info, but they are a bit of a bunch of old sticks.

I can say that, cause I'm one too.
                            Kelly

We are the thin blue line
                            between you
                            and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

Comment

Originally posted by TPO
                              is this enough polish for you? it's my duty gun; a stainless springfield GI.
                              whiteout on the front sight makes a world of difference and lasts a good long time. i like the low profile sights.
                              BEAUTIFUL!

I don't think there's anything prettier than a Colt 1911. Even an old beatup one looks great. If it's beat up it just means it has a story to tell.
                              Bill Cosby: Stewie, what do you think candy is made out of?
                              Stewie Griffin: Sunshine and farts! What the hell kind of question is that?!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4441 users online. 260 members and 4181 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X