X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FonzieDog
    Forum Member
    • Jan 2005

Glock 22 or Glock 23?

I am required to purchase my first duty weapon here in a couple of weeks. I have to choose between a Glock 22 or a Glock 23. I have never fired any Glock before. What should be my deciding factors? the Glock 23 has a shorter barrel and the sights are closer together. Does that make it less accurate? The 22 model can hold 15 rounds to the 23 model's 13. I currently have a Kimber Tac Pro II. It's a 1911 .45. I am comfortable with it and enjoy shooting it. Any suggestions/recommendations?
  • Resq14
    RIP Seann1
    • Oct 2002

Three years ago, I was faced with the same decision and opted for the 23. Actually, within a period of a couple months, a group of us all bought our own Glock 23s. While you can't conceal it as well as a 27, it is better than a 22 if you ever intend to carry concealed. With the hi-cap's, you're talking 40 rounds total (compared to a 22's 46).

I have no problems qualifiying... it seems like it's possible to be as accurate with a 23 compared to a 22, at least on a 25 yard course. If you want to maximize the distance between your sights (sight radius), use a rear sight that is swept back (typically intended for 27's). For use as a LE pistol, it probably doesn't make a huge difference though. For what it's worth, I went with Meprolight Glock 27 tritium sights. I'm having trouble finding a pic/link of the "swept back" rear sight, but when I do I'll post it.

Also, search these forums... "Glock 23" is a popular topic.
    Last edited by Resq14; 03-07-2005, 04:56 PM.
    All Gave Some - Some Gave All

{"data-align":"none","data-size":"custom","data-tempid":"temp_14312_1475388990098_890","height":"65","title":"flower.gif","width":"72"}

Comment

• wolverine652001
      Bad boys for life
      • Feb 2005

Glock 22

Comment

• Split50
        Forum Member
        • Mar 2005

Pickt the one you feel more confortable with. If you have a large hand, you may want the 22 to avoid your pinky finger hanging off the bottom of the grip. If you often carry off duty, or concealed you may want the 23 like the other guys said. Try em' both... its whatever works for you. Once you pick one, get 2500 rounds of ammo and spend a month on the range and you'll be AAAAAA....ok!!! (once you've done all that, throw the Glock away and buy a Sig 226 in .357Sig!!!lol )

Comment

• BreakinChains
          Forum Member
          • Jan 2004

If you have small hands go with the 23 if not the 22 is a fine weapon.

Comment

• JKump
            Forum Member
            • Jan 2005

For me the Glock 23 just points better. Also the Glock 23 will take magazines for the 22 and 23. You never know when you might have to "borrow" a magazine in a SHTF encounter. A Glock 22 will not accept a Magazine from A Glock 23.
            Live everyday as if it is your Last! Because someday you will be right.

Everyone has a game plan until they get punched in the mouth.

Comment

• wolverine652001
              Bad boys for life
              • Feb 2005

My SGT has a glock 22 for service and a 27 on his ankle. He said that if his 22 fails or gets jammed, he can use his current magazine, (if the bullets are still in the mag) and pop it in the 27, (sure theres alot of magazine exposure from using a 22 mag to a 27) and keep firing.

If you are using department issued 22, get a 27 to be there if you lose your issued 22 OR if your gun jams and you don't have time to fix it. I personally don't like the 23, too small for my hands. 22 is a perfect fit, being that I have moderate big hands.

Comment

• Resq14
                RIP Seann1
                • Oct 2002

Meprolight Sights

Here is a comparison of the sights I posted about... note the "swept back" style compared to the regular style. It took me a while to find the pics!

Sorry for the smallish size though.
                Attached Files
                All Gave Some - Some Gave All

{"data-align":"none","data-size":"custom","data-tempid":"temp_14312_1475388990098_890","height":"65","title":"flower.gif","width":"72"}

Comment

• sgttom
                  Wrong Place, Right Time.
                  • Feb 2005

the Glock 22
                  ''Life's tough......it's tougher if you're stupid.''
                  -- John Wayne

Comment

• TraintoLive
                    Forum Member
                    • Mar 2005

Glock 22 is good, 23 best.

We use the 22 for duty. great pistol, had one for 7 years now.. What counts is shot placement, any professional will tell you that. There have been cases where bad guys take three .45's to the chest and the dirtbag lives. Shot placement

Comment

• squad51
                      STORM THE CASTLE!
                      • Sep 2003

I carry a 23 as my off duty and it conceals om me just fine (6'4" 250) I like the 23 it points well, but if I had to choose for a duty weapon 22 is the way to go
                      Happy to be here proud to serve

"Well it appears this lock does not accept american express."

Never trust fire fighters to point out a suspect.

Comment

• OC!
                        OC!
                        • Mar 2005

I have had the 22, 23 and 27.... of them all, I liked the 23 the best. I now have the 21 and the 30. I like both of them too.
                        "Character is easier kept, than recovered"
                        ~Thomas Paine~

Comment

• escocop369
                          They call me Shadow
                          • Mar 2005

I carry the Glock 35 (long barrel .40SW) with attached M3 light. Both were provided by my department when we changed from Sig 226 9mm. I shot both the 22 and the 35 (we had the choice) and picked the 35 because it just shot better for me!

Regardless of which Glock you carry on duty, think about the G27 (or other "baby" glocks in your caliber) for offduty/backup. That way you have the same weapon mechanics and dont have to think about which gun you're using, and does it have a safety, etc..
                          Ignorantia Legis Neminem Excusat: Ignorance of the Law Excuses No One.

Accipere quam facere praestat injuriam - It is better to suffer an injustice than to do an injustice

Comment

• copwannabe310
                            Forum Member
                            • Jan 2005

.45 M1911

Comment

• itawamba8
                              Forum Member
                              • Apr 2005

G22

I really like my G22, I used to carry an H&K usp 40, but we were issued the G22's and I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it, I put trijicon night sights on it and got accustomed to the trigger and now i can score 98 and up with it. I can shoot the G23 but I like the G22 better because the grip is a tad longer. Just personal preference, i would try to borrow one of each from someone and try it before i made a decision if possible.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 19107 users online. 45 members and 19062 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...