Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I carried a S&W 4006 for a number of years, and I never had a single problem with it. That being said, I now carry a Glock model 22, and I am more accurate with it than I was with the S&W, As far as not having any experiance with shooting handguns, rather than going off on your own and learning to shoot, I would suggest that you wait and learn what they want you to learn, the way they want you to learn it. As a Firearms instructor, I have more success with someone that's never fired a gun than I do with an "Experianced" shooter. The new guy doesn't have a lot of ingrained bad habits to break. I just had to teach a new female officer to use an assault rifle. She had never shot a rifle before, and in the end, she out shot everyone, including me!
    Last edited by keith758; 02-18-2005, 09:06 AM.
    Extremism in the pursuit of liberty is no vice. Barry Goldwater

Comment

i just picked up an H&K USP compact in .40 S&W. it's a sweet pistol! it's got a great feel and intuitive layout. i'm loving it. but that's on the high-end.

Comment

Originally posted by sob153
        The sig is also a good weapon. it however has NO SAFETY. Mag is out the weapon will still fire if one is in the chamber.
        sob, it might be accurate to say that the sig has no manually operated external safety, it might not have a magazine disconnect safety, but it is NOT accurate to say it has no safety.

The absence of a magazine disconnect is a "shooter's choice" issue. Yes, you can drop a magazine and prevent the chambered round from firing. However, you cannt fire that round if you want to do so. I much prefer to use good tactics and sound weapon retention/defense techniques rather than depend on being able to find a little button while there are four hands fumbling for control of my gun (his two trying to take it and my two trying to keep it.)

The takeaway issue is the only valid argument for a magazine disconnect in a police sidearm, IMO. The other side of it, however, is that once you disengage from the guy trying to take it, you can't shoot at him even if you want to if you have removed the magazine.

Are there officers who have been saved by doing just that? Yes.

But there are also officers who have been saved by their ability to fire that single chambered round with no magazine in the well.

There's the info, now make your own informed decision.

IMHO, Glock is an awesome weapon, and it also happens to be one of the cheapest ("least expensive") "name-brand" guns on the market. I am issued one (G23c), and was impressed enough that I bought one of my own (G27). Every gun I have ever shot has malfunctioned (at least occassionally) except the Glocks. The only failures I have ever had with my Glocks have been shooter-assisted.
        "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

Comment

Thanks for all the great info guys...I think I'll start with the .22 as suggested. I had my class today, and my instructor feels that i'm proficient enough with the revolvers that we started on to move me up to a semi-auto. The ones that the school uses are .38 so I hope I do alright. Wish me luck.
          R.I.P. Officer Larry Lasater
          Pittsburg Police Dept.
          Pittsburg, CA

<P ALIGN=CENTER>
          <SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript1.2" src="http://www.codeamber.org/js/codea.js">
          </script>
          </P>

Comment

you'll be fine. just don't be intimidated.

Comment

S&W's are fine to use, just like any other weapon (including glocks ) sometimes you just get a bad one.
              We don't need no stinking badges!

If there ain't no waves, you ain't rowing!

Comment

Originally posted by txinvestigator1
                You might also just have a bad gun.
                i used diffrent ammo and it was still doing it is there anyway i could get them to give me a new gun and i would give them my pos
                "OBSTACLES ARE THOSE FRIGHTFUL THING YOU SEE WHEN YOU TAKE YOUR EYES OFF YOUR GOAL" HENRY FORD

Comment

ecpd170, a failure to feed can also result from a weak grip. If the pistol is allowed to recoil too much, the slide won't cycle properly and the bullet won't seat properly in the chamber. Try a firmer grip and see if that helps.
                  Extremism in the pursuit of liberty is no vice. Barry Goldwater

Comment

Originally posted by keith758
                    ecpd170, a failure to feed can also result from a weak grip. If the pistol is allowed to recoil too much, the slide won't cycle properly and the bullet won't seat properly in the chamber. Try a firmer grip and see if that helps.
                    ok i will give it a shot this weekend thanks ill let you know
                    "OBSTACLES ARE THOSE FRIGHTFUL THING YOU SEE WHEN YOU TAKE YOUR EYES OFF YOUR GOAL" HENRY FORD

Comment

I have a 4006TSW....its a great gun. I have run prolly 3000 plus rounds through it in the past 6 months and I have not had a SINGLE malfunction from it.

I know that some of the gals in our academy had trouble with malfunctions and it was honestly determined to be their lack of hand strength. Basically they were letting the gun recoil back as fast as the spent case was flying out and it never cleared the action.

I have always owned S&Ws...and they are true blue as far as I am concerned...nice fit and as accurate as you are.
                      An impressionable child in a tumultuous world, and they say I'm at a difficult stage... --Meat Loaf

Professional Stupidity Recognition Technician

Comment

Originally posted by keith758
                        Excellent point. However, I suggest having a very experienced shooter use the gun and see if the proboem persists.
                        "Speed is fine, but accuracy is final"--Bill Jordan

Comment

Originally posted by CHP Wanna-Be
                          As a part of my degree I'm taking a POST Self-Defense and firearms course. We are in the early weeks of the class but should be out on the range within 2 weeks. I eventually want to buy my own handgun after I pass my HSC test. I know that the Patrol uses .40 S&Ws as their standard duty weapons. Considering the fact that I've never fired anything more powerful than my BB gun, would buying a handgun of this calibur be too much for me? Should i get a smaller calibur such as a .22 or a 9mm?

FYI- in the .40 range I would be looking at the 4006 or 4013 models.
                          I think you need to man up & go with the 454 Casull magnum.

http://www.fishandhunttexas.com/454casull.htm

Comment

Originally posted by txinvestigator1
                            Excellent point. However, I suggest having a very experienced shooter use the gun and see if the proboem persists.
                            i have done that a buddy of mine fired it and it did it to him and this guy can shoot.

Comment

[QUOTE=ltroller]sob, it might be accurate to say that the sig has no manually operated external safety, it might not have a magazine disconnect safety, but it is NOT accurate to say it has no safety.

Of corse it is the choice of the person who is firing the firearm. that is why I said that at the end of my reply. however you say that the sig has a safety? I have owned the sig 229 357 cal and I don't recall any safety on the weapon. I would never state that a person should pick this or that weapon. He/she MUST BE COMFERTABLE with the firearm. Who am I to state otherwise? I was juust giving the basics of the firearm I choose or have been issued. What is comfertable for me may not be comfertable to others.
                              live everyday as if it your last...because one day it will be

Comment

CHP Wanna-Be ,

The CHP academy is five months long. That's more than enough time to get used to the 4006 they will issue you. CHP will not allow you to carry a personally owned firearm as your primary weapon and carrying a second 4006 as your backup is a little impractical. Under the circumstances it doesn't make a lot of sense to buy your own 4006.

BTW, are you sure you really want to be a traffic officer? (Oh the humanity!) <G>
                                Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7126 users online. 335 members and 6791 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X