300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• first time gun

I have a question for the vets. out there. I am going to enroll in a college police academy in Feb. . I have never owned a weapon besides a shotgun. Currently I am interested in mabye a Glock are a Kimber 1911. For a first time gun user which might be more friendly. I have heard that the 1911's are better for more experienced shooters. Also which would be easier to dismantel and clean. Thank you..

i'd check with the academy first. some require double action autos or that the gun have a safety.

i'm not a fan of glocks, but they're fairly easy to take down. most unintentional discharges occur when taking it down since you must pull the trigger.

the 1911 is an awesome weapon. it's no harder to learn than any other gun. i've carried one on-duty for years. taking it down isn't hard, but it requires more effort than a lot of guns do. you have to understand that the design is almost 100 years old. people were carrying 1911s and driving model Ts.

go rent both and decide from there.

Comment

thanks tpo for the info

Comment

Re: first time gun

Originally posted by travjr.
        Currently I am interested in mabye a Glock are a Kimber 1911. For a first time gun user which might be more friendly.
        Definitely the Glock. They are simple to break down, durable & reliable as hell, and pretty much idiot-proof. As TPO mentioned, there have been some AD's when the user didn't properly clear the weapon before breaking it down, but my PD has had some AD's with SIGs because the user inserted the magazine, racked the slide, then had a brain fart & squeezed the trigger instead of the decocking lever.

The best handgun for a first time user is a revolver, but they have fallen off the LE radar screen, and no PD around here still carries them.
        Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

Comment

I agree with Delta. The Glock is such a simple hand gun and requires little manipulation to load and fire.
          The best way to prevent a discharge is doing a press check (pulling the slide back part way to confirm the status).
          Also why a Kimber? Yes they are pretty but I suggest as an entry level 1911 go with a Springfield or even a colt. The Springer is cheaper and has been around a long time.
          If you are looking hard at a 1911 try this site out.1911 Forum
          But liek someone else said check with what the PD your looking to is carrying so you can be familiar with the firearm.

TGY
          Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer [This sig stolen from Brickcop who stole it from Frank Booth].

Comment

Just my $.02 but I would also go with the Glock. If your wanting a simple handgun to start with the Glock is a good way to go. The Kimbers are nice but depending on which agency you go to your much more likely to carry a Glock (or other DA auto) than a single action.

Comment

It must be unanimous - Glock!
              If it wasn't for STUPID PEOPLE I'd be unemployed.

Comment

Originally posted by SWATcop
                It must be unanimous - Glock!
                not hardly. not only have i had FTF/FTE problems with the G19 and G32 i've used, but they don't fit and feel right, if you gouge or scratch the plastic there is no way to fix it, and it just looks like ***. you barely touch the mag button on a fully loaded mag and the magazine pops out. the trigger guard needs more grooves under it where your middle finger goes, because if you shoot it much, it starts to rub against your finger and makes it hurt. the grip is too thin and long. holding one feels like picking up a 1X4. departments buy them because the flea market price of $350 is appealing to administrators.
                Last edited by TPO; 01-15-2005, 09:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TPO
                  departments buy them because the flea market price of $350 is appealing to administrators.
                  Actually I think it's because they're proven to be reliable combat handguns that are easily field stripped and maintained, regardless of their "flea market" value. And if you don't like thr grip, Hogue makes a nice rubber sleeve that fits over the factory handgrip. As far as ejecting the magazine easily, well, yeah - it does eject easily. That's the idea. Keep your finger off of magazine release button if you don't want to eject the magazine.

Comment

Actually I think it's because they're proven to be reliable combat handguns that are easily field stripped and maintained, regardless of their "flea market" value.
                    i didn't say they weren't. i said the ones i've had and used sucked.

And if you don't like thr grip, Hogue makes a nice rubber sleeve that fits over the factory handgrip.
                    it doesn't fit over the new series guns without making it excessivley bulky. thank glocks wonderful idea of adding molded finger grooves to the grip.

As far as ejecting the magazine easily, well, yeah - it does eject easily. That's the idea. Keep your finger off of magazine release button if you don't want to eject the magazine.
                    come tell my seatbelt to leave my magazine button alone then.

Comment

Originally posted by TPO
                      come tell my seatbelt to leave my magazine button alone then.
                      That would be a holster problem.

Comment

That would be a holster problem.
                        safariland 070. the fingersnap hits the mag button.

Comment

never had a problem with the Glock. very dependable, easy to strip and clean, accurate as all hell. LArge magazine capacity, and with a safariland retention holter, never had a snag with the seat belt.
                          Though their numbers are many, as the grass upon the field, we will count them at the end of the day.

Comment

"i'm not a fan of glocks, but they're fairly easy to take down. most unintentional discharges occur when taking it down since you must pull the trigger."

No, most unintentional discharges occur when an idiot handle the weapon.
                            Carried a 1911 for over 20 years, carry a Glock 22 now.

FIRST YOU CLEAR THE WEAPON.
                            Kelly

We are the thin blue line
                            between you
                            and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

Comment

What kind of idiot cleans a loaded weapon?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2684 users online. 142 members and 2542 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X