Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree with your last statement that is a personal choice and I would a subjective one at that.

However; Guns&Ammo is a rag and all but one of the agencies you listed use the handgun as "secondary" weapon. If I carried and AR 15 with 300 rounds I wouldn't care much if my pistol only held 8 rounds. As it is were police officers and 90% our sidearm is it.

If you had 9mm over penetration problems then you guys weren't testing the light +P+ loads, those tend to underpenetrate if anything.
    It was said before that the International Wounds Balistics association has years of scientific testing on the 9mm and is the definative source of information.
    Last edited by JRT6; 01-17-2005, 11:07 AM.

Comment

.40 S&W or .357 Sig
      EOT

Comment

This is just one of many examples of why I will always carry the 45 acp.

The M1911 and the M1911A1 pistols were incredibly robust and durable. From the muddy trenches of "No Man

Comment

.357 sig and the +p+ 9mm have the same ballistics.

Comment

Originally posted by JRT6
            .357 sig and the +p+ 9mm have the same ballistics.
            Not quite.

The Federal 9BPLE +P+ drives a 115gr bullet at 1300fps, the .357 Sig drives a 125gr bullet at 1350fps.
            Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

Comment

Prefer 45, carry 40 S&W but would feel adequately protected with a 9MM.

Comment

Not quite. The Federal 9BPLE +P+ drives a 115gr bullet at 1300fps, the .357 Sig drives a 125gr bullet at 1350fps.
                There should be about 100 ft/lbs difference in muzzle energy too, in favor of the .357 Sig, by the pmc and remington ballistic charts.

Not much difference though.
                I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within.

Douglas MacArthur

Comment

Originally posted by KenW.
                  Not much difference though.
                  Don't discount the 10gr difference in bullet weight.

I'm in favor of higher velocity versus bullet weight, but when a caliber can offer a higher velocity AND a higher bullet weight, I have to go with that.

My PD carries .40 S&W, I would much prefer a 135gr bullet weight, but they wimped-out and went with the 180gr Federal LE load.

My off-duty gun is a Glock 26 with Cor-Bon loads, a 115gr bullet at about 1350fps. I think that has a 90+% one-shot stop rating.

Comment

Once again the IWBA has extensively tested the .357 sig and the 9mm +p+ and come to the conlcusion I listed. Evan Marshall says the same thing if you follow his system with it's "one shot stop" ratings.

Comment

Originally posted by Delta784
                      Don't discount the 10gr difference in bullet weight.

I'm in favor of higher velocity versus bullet weight, but when a caliber can offer a higher velocity AND a higher bullet weight, I have to go with that.

My PD carries .40 S&W, I would much prefer a 135gr bullet weight, but they wimped-out and went with the 180gr Federal LE load.

My off-duty gun is a Glock 26 with Cor-Bon loads, a 115gr bullet at about 1350fps. I think that has a 90+% one-shot stop rating.
                      I doubt you are getting this velocity from the short barrel of the Glock 26. Have you chronographed it? If I can find the ammo I'll chrono it and post the results here. I don't see much Cor-Bon ammop around here.

Comment

Originally posted by GlenS
                        I doubt you are getting this velocity from the short barrel of the Glock 26. Have you chronographed it? If I can find the ammo I'll chrono it and post the results here. I don't see much Cor-Bon ammop around here.
                        No, that's the advertised velocity, I believe the test gun was a Glock 19.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2525 users online. 187 members and 2338 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X