300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back-Up Gun - where and what

A lot of information can be found about what kind of a back up gun one should carry and how it should be carried. I'm interested in input from those who actually do carry a second gun on duty. It seems there are really only two places to carry a back up, on the ankle and on the body armor. Seems the ankle would be good (accessibility, speed of presentation) but how secure is that if you're running down some terd? The body armor seems a secure spot to hang a pea-flipper, but how quickly can you access that? Any input from those that carry either way? Thanks!

I carry a Howitzer and it's attached to the bumper of the cruiser, %$#%$$# e'm if they can't take a joke. Never seemed to have anyone talk back duing a street interview either, hmmmm

Walters PPK 380, in the small of the back. It's not uncomfortable, not bulky, and will do the job. With handcuff case riding on the back waist it lift the back up and away from the small of the back causing the back up to ride free.

I thought I better add this one thing, i'm a Detective that wears a sport coat, i'm not in uniform so this weapon may or may not be idea located in that position of the back in uniform.
    Last edited by Sgt. Friday; 12-21-2004, 06:15 PM.
    Fear is only as deep as the mind allows

Comment

You know, some might say the .380 is too small of a round to be effective, yet I have not met a person who is willing to stand in front of one to prove it! I personally prefer the Glock, especially since the 36 and 27 are comparable in size to the Walther, but I'll bet they're not as light.

Comment

A friend of mine had a glock (? model), I just didn't feel comfortable with it, it felt odd. Can't really explain it better than that.

The walther is a really light weight handgun. Lets face it, if your going to pull it, chances are it's going to be close combat quarters and it will do the job. If it doesn't kill e'm, i'm sure they will **** their pants for sure.
        Fear is only as deep as the mind allows

Comment

My Department's backup policy is the same as the off-duty policy. Must be .38 Special or larger. Where to carry is up to you. I like a Colt Defender on the ankle (unless you must run). And it accepts the magazines from my primary weapon.
          I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within.

Douglas MacArthur

Comment

I carry a North American Arms "Guardian" in .32ACP in a pocket holster (BUG on-duty and primary CCW off-duty). Front pocket, strong side w/ spare magazine.

I have carried in rear pocket, but preffered front pocket for retention and the more natural look of hand in pocket.

Comment

I carry a KelTec .40 attached to my vest. It's a small package with a lot of punch, 9 rounds of .40.
              Extremism in the pursuit of liberty is no vice. Barry Goldwater

Comment

I have the Glock 27 in the vest holster. I did carry the same gun in a anckle holster tell I was running after a perp. and the gun came out of the holster and flew acrossed the pavement and in front of the perp. Thank god he wasn't looking down!!!!

As for getting to it where ever you carry a gun you should practice getting in and out of the holster. I took a old uniform shirt removed the buttons and used velco to practise getting my gun in and out of my vest holster.

Comment

Glock 26 or 27

Comment

Re: 380

Originally posted by USMCLeadsled
                    You know, some might say the .380 is too small of a round to be effective, yet I have not met a person who is willing to stand in front of one to prove it! I personally prefer the Glock, especially since the 36 and 27 are comparable in size to the Walther, but I'll bet they're not as light.

LMAO You know that never gets old. Every time that I hear someone say that I just laugh. Only time that ANY round is too small is when you are in North Hollywood.

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt. Friday
                      A friend of mine had a glock (? model), I just didn't feel comfortable with it, it felt odd. Can't really explain it better than that.
                      Maybe because it's like trying to conceal a box of Wheaties.

Comment

Just got a Sig 232 and had a Kel-Tec P3-AT order placed. Both are .380 (9mmX17 or 9mm Kurz compared to 9mmX19 or 9mm Luger) and both will put a hole in you. Shot placement is the key, and at a close second - bullet design. Bugs are going to be used up close so you really don't need to worry about 25 yard accuracy, just out to about 10 or so. The Sig will put a full mag into 3.5 inches at 15 yds using flash sight picture. It is also noticeably lighter than the Walther PPK and PPK/S, but slightly thicker in the grip. I can't wait to see what the Kel-Tec can do.

I plan on carrying the Kel-Tec either in support side pocket or on vest, or the Sig on the ankle. The Sig is just a little too big for either of the other two choices for me personally. I have carried a Taurus 85TiCH (.38 Special +P) on the ankle for a while with no problems and it is most easily reached for me by pulling on the outside of the pant. By doing this, it seems that the pants cause less friction against the holster than the neoprene band and my socks if I were to pull on the inside of the pant leg. I have been in several foot chases with that set up and only worried the first time. The holster has a snap on it, and once I realized it wasn't going to slip around on my ankle or fall off, I was able to block out the addition of a few ounces of weight. Our uniform shirts are zippered so it would be quick to get to the bug carried on the vest, but not as quick as popping buttons.
                        " (T)o preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.... " Richard Henry Lee, 1788

Comment

For more years than I care to remember, I have been carrying a Colt Cobra with a bobbed hammer and DAO on my vest, since our uniform shirts are zippered, access is not a problem and I can get to it with either hand.
                          never forget: www.odmp.org

"In peace time our best still don battledress and lay their lives on the line"

Comment

I have always liked glock 27 in a ankle holster... I usually don't even know it is there...
                            ~Wise men stand behind me, Brave men stand beside me, only Fools stand against me!~

Comment

Thanks for all the replies...

It's hard to tell, sometimes, because of the vast amounts of "expert" advice found in gun magazines and such. From the sounds of it, the best spots are on the ankle or on the vest. For those of you who carry in the pocket, is that accessible to both hands? And if not, is that a problem?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4067 users online. 251 members and 3816 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X