300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9mm or .45 ACP carbine suggestions?

Does anyone have any suggestions on a good 9mm Luger carbine to add to the arsenal? I'm looking for a fun plinking gun for the 20-yard range, not competition shooting or hunting. The price limit is around $500. I already have a scoped Hi Point Model 995 that I'm not unhappy with but I'd like to step up to a better gun. I want to do my research before this year's bonus and tax refund arrive so I can move some of that cash into a gun buy before my wife spends it all on latte makers and crap like that.

Or perhaps suggestions on a .45 ACP carbine as well. I met a sweet thing named Kimber Custom at my friend's house last month and I'd sure like to take one home just like her, so .45 may be in my future as well.

I'm going to hit gunbroker.com, gunsamerica.com and other related sites to browse but any recommendations beforehand are appreciated to cut down the number of contestants.

Thanks,
    AvgJoe
    Be careful, kids. Daddy's summer car is like the Ark of the Covanent - if you touch it, you will surely die.

Check out the Beretta STORM!
    "When you guys get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a *****."
    -Commanding General, 1st Marine Division

Comment

Colt 9mm AR-15, if it's going to be a plinking gun go with 9mmm so ammo will be on the cheap, it's going to cost a little more than $500 though but it's worth it, i along with everyone else that's ever shot mine love the gun!

and if you ever want to go nuts modding it theres tons of accessories available. i would go with an A3 upper as opposed to my A2 because it will give you more optics options if you decide to go that route.

-Sean

Comment

Be a Hero and split the cash with your wife - look at the Carbine Conversion Unit. They are a bit heavy, but run 100% on your pistol's reciever (for 1911's and Glocks, they may have some others out now). While I do NOT suggest it for a duty gun, they can be a lot of fun as a plinker.
        "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
        John Stuart Mill

Comment

Have you considered the Kel-Tec Sub2000? I agree that the Beretta Storm is pretty awesome, but if this is just for play time, you can get into a Sub2000 for about $250 and use standard pistol magazine, which you may already have to save a little more. I've played with both and for running and gunning from 7 to 50 yards, these are a hellofvalotta fun.

Let us know what you get and how you like it.

Comment

Thanks for the info!

I've been a little slow in researching these because I can't really check out gun web sites at work (I'm pretty sure they'd frown on my site visit log being filled with "assault weapon" sites) and once home I have a wife and three kids to placate so home Net time is a little precious. I figure this weekend I'll be able to browse.

I did get out to Baretta's site and wow does that Storm look sweet! The lowest price I found with a quick check was $585... not too bad. The Carbine Conversion Unit concept sounds interesting too - I had no idea anyone made those. I already have a Glock 26 with a grip extender so I'm halfway there.

I'll try to look around this weekend and let you know what the selection is. Thanks for all the suggestions!

AvgJoe
            Be careful, kids. Daddy's summer car is like the Ark of the Covanent - if you touch it, you will surely die.

Comment

And the winner is...

The KelTec Sub2000. I found the KelTec owner's forum and everything I read about this gun was positive. People love theirs and the folding stock is just plain cool for storage and transport. Mine will configured for Glock 9mm compact magazines (G19-style) so I can use my G26 mags as well as a couple G18 33-rd mags I'll be picking up so I don't have to reload so often. And all this (gun and mags) with a lifetime warranty for less than the price of the Storm CX4. Sounds like a deal I can't pass up.

It will definitely be purchased after tax refund time though. I thought I could swing an impulse buy, then my dishwasher and clothes washer both died this weekend AND my Suburban's fuel pump crapped out (all require immediate resolution to keep my wife happy). I just dropped $1,500 so the cash reserves are nonexistant.

Thanks again!

AvgJoe

Comment

I had an S2k the 2 bigest draw backs were really crappy sights, augmented by a worde scope mount offering by keltec adn the bolt not locking back after the last round in the chamber.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4320 users online. 253 members and 4067 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X