300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Revolver v.s. Automatic

I'm not a law enforcement officer but I was just curious as to what opinions you guys may have of wheel guns versus the automatics? I personally like revolvers, specifically the ruger GP 141. I've also grown rather fond of a Dan Wesson .357 magnum my grandfather owns. I've also shot a colt gold cup in 10mm. While I've never had a problem with the colt, I think I would feel better with a wheelgun at my side than an automatic. I like the extra punch of a .357 and the fact that you can shoot .38 special in it while training and then finish your shooting session with .357 rounds. What do you guys think?

well ill tell u what; just recently i posted here something similar to what ur question is about personal opinion between a revolver and a semi automatic pistol and i tell u that just recently traded my 357 magnum s&w for a 9mm beretta and the truth is that for me power comes first before quantity. but now this days quantity is more important than just having a powerfull revolver like the 357s. i like the 357 myself but in the streets nowdays u need more than 6 bullets. i personally like my new beretta and couldnt help to let go the oportunity of trading my 357 for the pistol. its the fact and also the truth u need more than 6 bullets out there on the streets; also had trade it cause in some federal jobs they wont let u carry a 357 or a 45 cause its power...............

Comment

If you're comfortable with a revolver, stick with a revolver. There are still a lot of "old timers" that carry a six-shooter, and I'm sure they are more than adequately armed. And by the way, Scorpion, nothing personal, but learn to spell, punctuate, and capitilize. It makes reading a response a lot easier.
      Last edited by keith758; 08-15-2004, 08:02 PM.
      Extremism in the pursuit of liberty is no vice. Barry Goldwater

Comment

If you're not comfertable with a gun you won't be able to shoot it acuratly. You have to look at the pro's and con's of each type of weapon. A revolver is going to have a lot more power, obviously. It is also going to be more reliable due to less moving parts, and will be simplier to operate while under stress. For a person that does not regularly practice with thier firearm this is probably the best choice. However, a auto has its own advantages. It does carry more rounds, albeit of lesser power. But remimber a well placed .380 round is far more effictive than a .357 that misses. More rounds does have its advantages in high stress where often one or rounds will miss the target. An auto is substantially faster to reload than a revolver. But, is going to be more prone to malfunctions. Hense why a auto requires more practice. Plus it has adition features that can be a henderance or a benifit, ie externaly safeties.

(My apoligies for any spelling errors. Hooked on Phonics didnt work for me )

Comment

Spelling errors aside, I agree completely. A revolver is much easier for a "non-gun" person to operate. Load it, point it, shoot it. No safeties, no inserting a magazine, no chambering a round, no decocking. As far as reloading after 6 shots, practice and speedloaders help with a revolver, and if you're concerned, check out the 7 and 8 shot revolvers from Taurus or S&W.

Comment

re:

You guys have some excellent insight into this issue. For me, even though I've been shooting since I was a kid most of it has been done with rifles and shotguns. I've only recently started shooting handguns so that may be why I prefer wheelguns to automatics. For some reason I just plain shoot more accurately with a revolver. The .357 recoil doesn't bother me at all I don't flinch or any of that. The only automatic I really liked was an old high-standard my grandfather has had for 25+ years. Beautifully crafted firearm and very, very accurate. The only thing I don't like about it is the trigger pull. It's *feather* light. It's a target model so that may be why. Seems like you just barely touch it and it fires. Since I live in NY I'm gonna have to put up with the new york trigger at some point, but so far my experience with handguns have all been with firearms that were manufactured before that law went into effect.

Comment

Since everyone seems to be caught up with the .357 round, there is an automatic cartridge called a .357 Sig, here's a little information I dug up on each cartridge.

Concerning the .357 Magnum:
              The famous .357 Magnum, the original magnum pistol cartridge, was introduced in 1935 by Smith & Wesson as the world's most powerful handgun cartridge. For over 20 years it was simply known as "the Magnum," as there was no other. Newer magnum cartridges eventually surpassed it in power, but not in popularity or usefulness.

Factory ballistics tables call for a muzzle velocity of 1450 fps for the 125 grain JHP with 583 ft. lbs. of muzzle energy. For the 140 grain JHP the MV is 1360 fps and the ME is 575 ft. lbs. For the 158 grain JHP the MV is 1235 fps and the ME is 535 ft. lbs. These figures are all for a 4" revolver barrel.
              Link

Concerning the .357 Sig:
              The .357 SIG is a relatively new auto pistol cartridge developed in 1994 by Federal Cartridge and SIG Arms. Like many other cartridges, it is misnamed, as it actually uses .355 inch (9mm) bullets.

Factory loaded ammunition is available from Federal, CCI/Speer, Winchester/USA, and probably others. The most common load seems to be a 125 grain bullet (JHP or FMJ) at 1350 fps. This delivers 510 ft. lbs. of muzzle energy (ME) from a 4" pistol barrel (Federal figures). That puts it only 100 fps and 70 ft. lbs. behind the .357 Magnum as fired from a 4" revolver barrel. So the .357 SIG should be a very good "stopper" with proper expanding bullets. This is a flat shooting load for an auto pistol, with a midrange trajectory of just 3.1 inches with a 100 yard zero.
              Link

I firmly beleive that the reliability of todays semi-automatic weapons leave nothing on the table to be desired as far as reliability goes, keep the weapon clean and you will have no trouble, the facts I considered were this:

Wheel-guns - Less maintnence, easier cleaning, 5-7 rounds, 3-4 second reloads if you're good (counting the time needed to get a new speedloader from it's holster) and traditional "old guy" styling in most revolvers. Sorry, but I wanted something nice to look at!

Semi-Autos - A more 'time consuming', but not 'harder' cleaning process, 10-15 rounds depending on the weapon, 2-3 second reloads and a better looking weapon (only in my humble opinion).

My vote goes to the semi-automatic, but you need to be comfortable shooting whatever you're shooting.
              Last edited by Contact; 08-16-2004, 03:09 AM.
              A true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.

-GK Chesterton

Comment

delete
                Last edited by scorpion; 08-16-2004, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Scorpion, sorry I hit a nerve.

Comment

As I have posted before, when an auto malfunctions, it can usually be cleared by the shooter in just a few seconds. Revolvers malfunction less frequently, but when they do, our armorer needed an average of 7 to 12 Min., with tools, to get it back up and running.
                    "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
                    John Stuart Mill

Comment

Sleuth, I agree with what you said, but it must also be noted that most revolver malfunctions occur because the gun is dirty, or has been abused, throwing it out of tune. If you take care of a revolver, it shouldn't give you any trouble.

Comment

I owna revolver Ruger Service Six and I find it to be a very dependable weapon. When I was in Customs, I carried a Glock and found it to be very dependable and accurate.

I am currently applying for my CPL (CCW) and am considering buying a Glock for that purpose.
                        Though their numbers are many, as the grass upon the field, we will count them at the end of the day.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3101 users online. 196 members and 2905 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X