300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a soon to be deputy needs some help.

my instructors have written me telling me i should begin purchase an off duty weapon that i could practice with wile attending the accadamy. any sugestions on what weapon i should buy that works as an off duty gun but still a good practice weapon. I was thinking of getting a glock 9mm(and please dont suggest a .357 like my friend did lol)
    (talking about a pair of .50 cal handguns)
    You like this? This is my BOOMSTICK!!!
    Nick Kane
    True Crime Streets of LA

This just sounds odd. When I was teaching at our academy, we found lots of new hires developed bad habits by trying to learn without instruction. If they came from another agency, fine. If they had zero experience, we could teach them the right techniques. The self-taught had to unlearn what they 'knew' before we could teach them.
    I have never heard of any academy telling a new hire to learn how to shoot before the academy. I would check the source of this out before spending money.
    "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
    John Stuart Mill

Comment

It says in the original post that the instructors want them to practice "wile attending the accadamy" [sic], no before. I suppose I can see this if the academy doesn't allot as much range time as the instructors feel is necessary.

First, if you're already hired by an agency, determine what they will allow.

If you're not affiliated with an agency yet, get a Glock. There's a better than average chance the department that eventually hires you will have them and you'll already have yours.
      Caution and worry never accomplished anything.

Comment

Yup, I just had a brain/hand malfunction, and should have read the post closely before posting. My bad. Kirch is correct, find out what is allowed before buying. And you can learn a lot of sight alignment and trigger control with an air pistol or a .22. The air pistol let's you practice at home, without going to a range.
        "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
        John Stuart Mill

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4643 users online. 285 members and 4358 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X