X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aprilfool76
    Forum Member
    • Sep 2003

"Smart Guns"

Has anyone heard of the new "smart guns," which will be available within the next couple of years? Apparently it is made from and recognizes its owner's grip, and won't fire from anyone else's hand except the owner's. I do believe the New Jersey Institue of Technology is working on this now. I think this is a crucial development for LEOs.
    All Women Are Not Created Equal - Only The Finest Become Cops
  • ksphatcop
    Forum Member
    • Jan 2004

Good idea except most of the "smart guns" use some type of fingerprint ident to work. Dont think they will be used in LEO for a long time. Especially for someone like me that works nights and wears gloves. Blood, dirt, and lotsa sweat interferes with the print ident. They are good for people who keep handguns at home and dont want their kids shooting the neighbor kid while they play cops n robbers.

Comment

• aprilfool76
      Forum Member
      • Sep 2003

I do believe it is solely on the owner's grip, not their prints. How their hand forms to the gun, fingers, the entire hand. From what I took of it anyways. Nowhere did it mention anything about fingerprints; the article focused on the officer's hand and how it holds the gun. I agree about your opinion about prints - I also wear gloves, using a gun that focused on prints would be a flat-out waste of money. But one that goes by my grip, even with gloves, would work quite well.
      All Women Are Not Created Equal - Only The Finest Become Cops

Comment

• schoech1
        Forum Member
        • Jan 2004

i believe that colt is making a smart weapon also. It doesn't deal with fingerprints or grip but with a wristband, that once it goes into production will double as a watch. if in the hand with the watch, the gun will fire, if not, then it will lock up.

Comment

• kirch
          Forum Member
          • Oct 2001

I just got back from the SHOT Show and I talked with the folks at Rohrbaugh (I think that's the company). They're using a ring instead of Colt's watch concept. According to them, they're just about to go into production.
          Caution and worry never accomplished anything.

Comment

• CCR
            Forum Member
            • Dec 2003

I always have to chuckle when I hear of this smart gun stuff. Years ago I had my revolvers fitted with Magna triggers. No one can fire them except me and my wife, you have to wear a special magnetic ring on each hand. No electronics, no fingerprint ID, no palm print. And it works every time. Been in use since 1976. (Only certain revolvers can be modified.) Another good case for revolvers.

Comment

• Bart
              Forum Member
              • Jul 2003

i dont want any of that crap on my gun. the last thing i need is for it to malfunction when i need it the most. i lived this long without a "smart" gun. i think i'll manage to live another 20 without one.
              "The American public will find it refreshing to see a Republican candidate, who's not a moralistic, sexually repressed, crusading hypocrite, who cruises airport men's rooms late at night."
              William Shatner

Comment

• retdetsgt
                Forum Member
                • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Bart
                i dont want any of that crap on my gun. the last thing i need is for it to malfunction when i need it the most. i lived this long without a "smart" gun. i think i'll manage to live another 20 without one.
                I agree. The more technology you have, the more apt it is to fail.
                "Life's tough, it's tougher if you're stupid." John Wayne

Comment

• Rjagger
                  Forum Member
                  • Feb 2004

I like my guns to go off when I pull the trigger. I wouldn't want to bet my life on something that was designed to malfunction.

The secret is to buy a level 2 or 3 holster and leave it in the holster unless you need it.

I think gun retention training is also very important. Don't give up your gun, and don't be afraid to hurt someone trying to take it away from you.

Comment

• AKwannabe
                    So close...
                    • Aug 2003

Think about all that could go wrong. What if you lost the ring? What if you injured your shooting hand and was unable to pull the trigger? What if something happened to where you would need your partner or maybe your spouse to use the weapon? Then you would just be SOL!

Comment

• Rjagger
                      Forum Member
                      • Feb 2004

My idea of a true smart gun would be one that could lock on target, stay on target while I was running to or away from it. At least it should be able to measure the distance to a target and automatically adjust the point of impact to match.

If they want to impress me with tech. I wish they would offer me a non-lethal option. Include a taser or pepperball barrel that you could use with out having to risk your life in the transition between weapons.

Comment

• GCPD0171
                        Forum Member
                        • Aug 2003

There are so many possible problems with this. Most have been covered. I can't think of any LEOs that would want a gun like this. There are situations where you must change hands/grips to fire in bad situations. What if you are injured and can't grip the gun the same way. Will it still fire? Its a great idea but still too many bugs to be worked out.

Comment

• rebbryan
                          Forum Member
                          • Oct 2003

smart guns are the dumbest thing i've ever heard of. the last time they tested them they only worked 80% of the time. get shot in your arms and can't draw your gun but have an explorer riding along who could shoot back can't because they don't have a ring/watch/fingerprint. happened at a wal-mart. ring has some dumbass "smart chip" or whutever the hell it runs on, hope you don't come across magnets, they don't go well together. i'll crap my pants if south carolina ever goes to these things in my life time
                          We don't need no stinking badges!

If there ain't no waves, you ain't rowing!

Comment

• CCR
                            Forum Member
                            • Dec 2003

Don't know about the new technology you all are talking about, but when using the Magna trigger you should wear a ring on each hand. Which is what my wife and I do. The samarium magnets used can last for centuries. I have used this system for over 20 years and never had a failure. Even wearing thick gloves, etc. As for sharing my firearm with someone else, that is like the old argument of having every officer use the same gun so they can share ammo/magazines. Don't think so. To quote:

"I have trusted my life and the lives of my family to this unique safety device for a number of years." Mike Izumi, Instructor,Lethal Force Institute in the article "Magna-trigger, The 'Magic Ring' Revolver Safety", Handguns Magazine

Comment

• Sleuth
                              Forum Member
                              • Aug 2002

1. Magna trigger works for you, you wear your rings on both hands 24/7, fine.

2. I had some very small input at the start of the search for "smart guns". What they want is a gun that will only fire for the authorized person, rather than any person who wears the ring.

Consider this:
                              a) If it involves a signal, like radio, how long before BG's will develop a signal interupter (the first cell phone interceptor was developed for a Columbian doper)?
                              b) The default must be for the gun to fire! If your keyless remote for your car fails, you have the time to use your key. If your gun fails to fire, you die.
                              c) Guns are exposed to all kinds of environments - cold, hot, wet, dry, dusty, etc. Our troops are having trouble keeping their guns firing in Iraq. What will happen during a dust storm in AZ?
                              d) What will be the failure rate? Will you carry a gun that will not go off when it should 10% of the time? 5%? 1%?

[I was informed I had a 'negative attitude' and my "input was no longer needed for the Smart Gun Program".]
                              "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
                              John Stuart Mill

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 30875 users online. 64 members and 30811 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...