Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ar-15

Hey,

I was just wondering, are the AR-15 even legal in Canada?

And can you use them on the job? (If their legal that is)

Also, is there more then just one company that makes them,
    cause ive read threads saying tha some people have Bushmasters and others have Rock Rivers.

One last thing, is there a difference between the civi version and the law enforcement version of the AR-15.

thx in advanced

I don't know if they are legal in Canada. There are a few poeple on here who are in LE in Canada, so they would be better equipped to answer that.

As far as the rest of your questions go:
    Yes, most of the local agencies around here (even mine) allow use of the AR-15.

Many companies make them, and I've heard that the most reputable are: Colt, Armalite, Bushmaster, Rock River, Olympic Arms, and DPMS. I've got a Bushie that I like.

As of now, the LE only models are different than the post-ban versions. The one we have at home is an LE only, and it had all the nasty things that the '94 ban got rid of: Flash hider, new 30-rd mag, as well as a collapseable (sp?) stock. Those features are only available for civilians on pre-ban guns, unless the ban is not renewed this year. (please, please, please no!!!)_

This applies mainly to US agencies, and my local agencies in particular. Hopefully, someone from Canada can help you out with better info regarding your country's laws.
    I'd just like to thank all the stupid people out there...You helped pay for my kids' Christmas.

Comment

Whats post ban and pre ban??

sry im only 15, haha lol

Comment

Pre-ban/Post-ban, in this case, refer to the "Clinton Crime Bill" (I think that's the correct name) of 1994 here in the States. It restriced newly manufactered magazines to a total of 10 rounds, and banned certain attachments to weapons, such as flash suppressors and bayonet lugs. I've yet to hear of any officer being attacked by an evil bayonet lug (much less an actual bayonet), but that's part of the bill. Pre-ban guns would be those that were manufactered before the 1994 ban. One may add these evil features to a pre-ban gun. Post-ban, then, would refer to guns manufactered after 1994. One may not add these deadly accessories to any post-ban guns.

Basically, the ban did nothing at all to lower crime. Having a 10 round magazine means nothing...Even Europe, the region to which the Brady bunch..I mean, Handgun Control, INC., looks to as a model of gun control, does not restrict magazine capacity. The biggest accomplishment of the '94 bill was to increase prices of "pre-ban" magazines to around $100 for most guns. And again, I know of NO ONE in law enforcement who has actually been attacked or harmed, in any way, by an evil flash suppressor. The bill was, and is, not worth the paper upon which it was written. (yay!! I managed to not end a sentence in a preposition.) The best part of the bill, IMO, is that it has a "sunset" provision written into the language. The current bill WILL expire this year, in September, I believe. But, the catch is, the dims (democrats) will more than likely try to get another, more restrictive bill passed to take the place of the one expiring. Hopefully, this will not come to pass, as most politicians are starting to realize gun control is NOT a very good issue for them. Not to mention that we have a Republican majority in both houses of Congress.

Hopefully, this long-winded post explained a little of the pre/post ban to you. It's not really applicable to you, being you live in a very gun-unfriendly country already. Hey, you can always move to somewhere like Michigan when you get older. It's not bad, as far as gun laws go, and it's just as cold as Canada.
        I'd just like to thank all the stupid people out there...You helped pay for my kids' Christmas.

Comment

Man, you realy do learn something everyday...

Thx for clarifying that for me.

Stupid Canada and its gun hating population.

Comment

wprebeck

The way i hear it (and i can not remember where i read this) the early count is that there may be enough votes in the senate to renew the assault weapons ban but they dont have nearly enough in the house and probably won't get enough. Also, the dems have publicly admitted that they are trying to stay away from the gun control issue during election season as they believe that that was the issue that lost Gore the election. So anyway, its not a sure thing the ban will be expanded or even renewed in its current form. We can always hope at least.

Comment

AR-15s are legal in Canada. We also have some legislation that is similar to the US law regarding magazine capacity. Handguns magazines must be 10 rounds or less. For rifles the magazine must be five rounds or less. Police are exempt. My 9mm pistol has a 15 round magazine and I used to carry a Ruger Mini-14 rifle with a 20 round magazine.

AR-15 type rifles are carried by many Canadian police tactical (SWAT) teams. Rifles for regular patrol officers in Canada are not very common.

The magazine capacity restrictions are a result of the relatively recent tightening of Canadian gun laws. The event that set this in motion was the shooting rampage at a university in Montreal where a nutcase killed 14 women. He was using a Ruger Mini-14 (strangely enough) with several 30 round magazines.

While I am certain that my views on gun control differ from many of our American friends, I have to agree that the restriction on magazine capacity is of questionable value as a crime fighting tool.

Comment

Is it true that you can have guns in your trunk in case of an emergency...?

If so, do they need to be locked up and have the ammunation away from them? And would you be able to have multiple ones?
                (Ex. a rifle and a 12gauge)

In Canada (oooh bitter canada...), what is the legal age to own a pistol and have a licence to buy ammunition and stuff.

Also, can you have different roles when your a police officer at the same time? (normal,swat,sniper...)

Im asking these questions here cause I dont wanna make a new thread for nothing,

or should I ...? lol

Comment

Extra long weapons are secured in the police car. That's all I'm going to say on a public forum.

I believe you have to be 18 to get a Firearms Possession Licence. This information is all available on the Canadian Firearms Centre website.

Whether you can take on different roles depends on the police service. In the RCMP we have Emergency Response Teams that are part-time. The members have regular jobs (uniformed patrol, investigation, administrative) and get called out. Within the ERT there are assaulters and snipers. We also have some full-time teams. Other police services like the OPP, Toronto, Peel, etc have full-time tactical teams.

Comment

This is information will help you:

http://www.cfc-ccaf.gc.ca/en/forms_assistance/forms/

Firearm Safety Education Service of Ontario

http://www.fseso.org/

But first of all - you MUST be 18+ years old.

I agree with KL. This is forum reading not only by a good guys...

Good luck.
                    Last edited by nightsniper; 01-30-2004, 11:10 PM.

Comment

thx

Any of you guys know of a canadian cop forum?

Comment

Trust me, this one is the best for canadian & american police.

Comment

Also, the dems have publicly admitted that they are trying to stay away from the gun control issue during election season as they believe that that was the issue that lost Gore the election. So anyway, its not a sure thing the ban will be expanded or even renewed in its current form. We can always hope at least.
                          even though the front runner kerry is butt buddies with ted "i hate guns except when they're used to protect me" kennedy
                          We don't need no stinking badges!

If there ain't no waves, you ain't rowing!

Comment

If you are looking for a good Canadian police forum go to www.blueline.ca .

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2786 users online. 182 members and 2604 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X