300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1911 for duty

Anyone able to email a succesful proposal that got 1911 style gun approved for duty carry at your department. The Springfield or Colt's with the firing pin safety (for drop fire considerations) are the ones I am leaning toward now. Possibly Kimber TLE also. The Glock 22 & 23 will be the department issue weapon, I am just looking for some latitude to carry the finest firearm ever designed, hopefully the Chief will agree. I would hope the department would kick in the $$ they spend on a Glock and let us pick up the balance. I would also supply my own duty and practice ammo. We'll see, any help is appreciated.
    Trooperden, akman75, & azmichelle ignored

Contact Tacoma Washington PD. Within the last two years or so, they went to the Kimber. Their data will be fresh.
    There are two city agency's that I know of here in Texas that allow the 1911 to be carried by all officers. Contact Hurst or Denton.
    Also, Pierce County, Washington allows their officers to carry 1911's. I think they are issued.
    "If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
    Thomas Paine

Comment

Go over to www.1911forum.com They have a LEO section.
      Live your Tactics, Hope is NOT a method!

Comment

Why is it that so many departements wont allow 1911 as the duty weapon?

Comment

My department authorizes them, but they need to be personally bought. The issue weapon is the H&K USP .40 S&W (short and weak). My department's policy will allow any QUALITY auto of .40 S&W or .45 ACP. Backups may be as small as .380. It just has to be inspected by the armorer or member of the firearms committee. They're pretty conservative. They authorized the department's first Glock only 2 years ago.

Department administrators many times, are not too knowledgable about such things, and exposed, cocked, hammers draw attention. "It's cocked and that's dangerous" uneducated (untrained) people think. Others are concerned about a light trigger pull contributing to negligent discharges. Chiefs and Sheriffs like the troops to take a low-profile, and not draw attention to things the public does not consider politically correct. We were once told to leave our PR-24s in the car until we needed them. It does you no good in the trunk. Its an education project.

Ken
          even my backup is a 1911.
          I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within.

Douglas MacArthur

Comment

About 1/3 or our agency carries 1911 variants, many Kimbers, along with Colts and SA's. Quite a few of the senior brass are 1911 afficianados, so there's no "sale" needed to carry them. Officers provide their own weapons, unless you want an old cobbed up S&W 9mm (no idea what model, wouldn't even consider it anyway)

I carry a Gold Cup Nat Match.

Cheers,

KK

Comment

What about springfield 1911s?

Are they any good?

And is a "sig" a springfield?

Comment

Sig and Springfield are not the same. Sig is short for Sig Sauer. Both are good manufacturers of weapons.

Comment

for one, a lot of them are DA/SA and carried cocked and locked and have a light trigger pull which is bad for poorly trained officers, DAO is the action of choice. 2, they're not seen to be as "impact resistant" as polymer guns which absorb the impact rather than acting against it and possibly causing something to go wrong with the gun. plus then the 1911's not purty anymore so they gotta put in another part to get out the dent.

the series 1 kimbers would be good weapons, but the series 2 seem to be plagued by bad QC reports
                  Last edited by rebbryan; 01-29-2004, 01:08 PM.
                  We don't need no stinking badges!

If there ain't no waves, you ain't rowing!

Comment

Did you hear about .50 cal. 1911???

Comment

Did you hear about the $3000 sticker price? Sounds a little excessive to me, but still a good idea, just wish it cost less.

Comment

"Poorly trained" cops who can't be trusted with a 1911 can stay away from me with any gun they carry.

Comment

Cochise County, Arizona still issues Colt 1911's. I'd give a hell of a lot to carry my Commander on duty, but my agency and I don't see eye to eye on that topic.
                          "I'd like to hang that wino."....The Bad Czech

Comment

Originally posted by SWAT MAN
                            What about springfield 1911s?

Are they any good?

And is a "sig" a springfield?

I carry a Springfield 1911A1. It's okay, I'm not a big SA fan, but I shoot pretty darn good with it. It's a pain in the &*% to take apart compared to my Beretta or my wife's Glock and S&W.

I'm told my department has been carrying the 1911 since the earth cooled. The proposal is probably on a stone tablet in the archives and wouldn't be as helpful as Tacoma PD.
                            "A man's got to know his limitations" --Inspector Harry Callahan in Magnum Force

Comment

I have a copy of Tacoma's proposal. It is quite interesting reading and we got a heck of alot of good info from their lead instructor who did the proposal.

The thing I found most interesting about it, the Springfield was their initial choice, however due to ammo sensitivity it was dropped in favor of the Kimber. The kimber crushed the Springfield in reliability. It is interesting to note also, that although the 1911 was the #1 in their test, the Glock was very close behind. They actually give officers a choice of either a G22/23/21 or Kimber ProCarry stainless.

I own a 1911, but am not allowed to carry it on duty. I carry a Glock and am quite happy with it.
                              Nobody ever wants to have to fight, but its a darn good idea for someone to know how.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3687 users online. 215 members and 3472 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X