300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happiness is a warm gunsmith

On Monday, I took my Beretta 92FS into the gunsmith's for a good internal cleaning and some minor maintenance. In the past, I've used a nearby gun shop. The gunsmith there is gruff, the place sucks for customer service and their prices are no great shakes. But it's the only place for miles around to get the work done.

This time, I went to a regional chain we have up here called Gander Mountain. I never thought about them before for gunsmithing until I saw an ad and it mentioned their gunsmithing services.

Let me just say that dealing with them in comparison to the gun shop is like night vs. day. They were friendly when I brought the gun in. Even though the GS wasn't there at the time, the guy at the gun counter took good notes. I told them it was a duty weapon and I needed it back within a week. When I called yesterday to check on its progress (like I always had to do with the gun shop) the GS told me he was in the process of putting it back together and I could pick it up that night. In addition, he told me he didn't need to replace any parts though I was expecting to. He even complimented me for keeping my gun clean. Then he chatted with me for a few minutes about guns and hunting in the area.

It's easy to criticize the big chains for putting the small guy out of business. But sometimes, the small guy NEEDS to be put out of business.
    Caution and worry never accomplished anything.

Wow, a cop that actually cleans his gun...now I've seen everything I actually just cleaned my Sig last night, hosed it out with GunScrubber and thoroughally checked all the springs, lubed everything and got it all back together. I try to do a detailed cleaning with the gripps off and whatnot once a year or so and do a good basic cleaning once a month.
    Live your Tactics, Hope is NOT a method!

Comment

Yeah, I got in the habit of actually cleaning my guns after I ruined a shotgun by letting it sit in my closet after hunting season without cleaning it. Next season came around and I needed a new shotgun. I swore then that I would clean my guns every time I used them. The only exception is when I know I'm going to be shooting again real soon. For example, during hunting season, after a personal practice session just before qualification, etc.
      Caution and worry never accomplished anything.

Comment

I would have been happy if our officers had just lubricated their guns! When they came to the academy for in-service, a lot of them were bone dry. If they had a malfunction, 2 drops of oil on the rails, one on the barrel hood, and one on the front of the barrel was all the "repair" they needed.
        "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
        John Stuart Mill

Comment

Or just the opposite. I swear some of them dip the weapons in vats of Hoppes. NOOOOOOO, you don't need to lube the firing pin channel!!!
          "I'd like to hang that wino."....The Bad Czech

Comment

Our weapons must pass inspection just like a uniform. So personal cleaning is a MUST. After range use we did for a while pay to have them cleaned on our off days which was around $10 to $15.
            I prefer to clean my own and inspect each and every part visually for wear and make sure it's back toegther correctly. Kind of like packing your own 'chute for those of you crazy enough to skydive.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3662 users online. 247 members and 3415 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X