300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smith and Wesson M&P 9 Shield

First, many of you know I am a dedicated Glock fanboy. I carry a Glock on duty, and have carried one primarily off duty since becoming a cop. I honestly believe if General Patton had carried a Glock pistol, he would have added it to his famous quote about the "greatest battle implement ever devised". Having said that I have been looking for a smaller, lighter off duty. While I think my G27 is great, do I really need a double stacked pistol, poking and prodding me after spending 12 hours in a gun belt? No.

So recently checked out a few guns my buddies had. One of the best things about a police station locker room at shift change, other than conversation, is the plethora of guns you can check out. Just say the word and guys are pulling guns out to show off. It's great. So I looked at the Walther PPS, Ruger LC9, G43. I even checked out a Sig, which I usually dont like. All seemed ok, but not quite what I wanted.

About 6 months go by and I get ahold of my buddies S&W shield 9. I fell in love, except for that safety. But he told me you can get one without a safety. Sold! The next day I got one for about $400, which seemed reasonable. It felt great in my hand, he grip angle seemed to be natural. The trigger about 6-7 lbs, just about right for a defensive pistol. A little creep, but this is t a 1911. I wasnt crazy about the stock white dot sights, but I replaced those with Ameriglo i-dots. I took her to the range and blasted all afternoon! That tiny little gun is smooth from the holster, nothing to snag on. The grips are very slim, and you have plenty of room for a high grip. I didn't experience any "slide bite" like I do on my 27, which normally results in bloody hand after a day at the range.

I put a couple hundred rounds down range without a hiccup. I shot cci blazer 115 gr fmj and some hornady 115 gr xtp. Everything cycled great, and accuracy was more than acceptable, 3-4 inches. At 25 yrds, off hand I put everything center mass, not even a flyer off paper. 15, 7, 5, 3 yards it just got better. Slow or rapid fire, this gun shot like a dream. The trigger resest was great, and from What I've read s&w tightened that up from their first gen. shield triggers. The magazines supplied were a 7 and 8 rounder and were steel and very solid, unlike the junk I got from colt with my 1911.

Things I didn't like:

1. The mags don't drop free. I always beat on recruits not to rely on it, I know! "Rip it out!"
    But they seemed to require a little extra effort over my glocks or my old XD.

2. My grip on this gun kept the slide stop from locking the slide after the last round. At first I thought I was having a malfunction, then I figured out that it was me and not the gun. Once I adjusted my usual thumb placement, I was back in business with no issues.

3. The spacer on the 8 round magazine kept sliding up the magazine. I thougt this was a solid part of the magazine base plate, but it was not.

All in all, I started carrying the shield as my new off duty. It's definitely something to look at if you're on the market for a single stack 9. I won't say I hung up my 27 for good, but who knows.
    I make my living on Irish welfare.

Don't be shy in telling S&W what issues you are having. The need the feedback. There is also a S&W forum that addresses many of the issues you have. If not you can post what you are experiencing and they will have good advice for you. Been a long time Smith fan/Fanboy as you put it. I carry the M&P 40 full and compact. Was carrying a 627 until they changed the policy.

Glad you like it.

PS

Try and find out who your regional rep is. They are usually more responsive than just calling in plus they are eager to help out LEOs
    Last edited by IAM Rand; 05-09-2016, 10:17 AM.
    Stupid has no color or race, everyone can participate.

Comment

Originally posted by IAM Rand View Post

Try and find out who your regional rep is. They are usually more responsive than just calling in plus they are eager to help out LEOs
      I second this.

I had to send my M&P 9mm 2 times to the factory. The first time I went through the regular customer service. They really didn't care about my problem and my gun was gone for a few weeks. The second time I went through the LE Rep and I got first class service. He made sure I got my gun back quick and made sure the problem was taken care of.

Comment

What was the problem with your gun?

Comment

Originally posted by reils49 View Post
          What was the problem with your gun?
          This was on my full size.

The round ejected straight up in the air instead of to the side. The brass would hit me in the head and go down my shirt. Also the trigger was junk.

Comment

I wish my lovely California had this gun in the list

Comment

Originally posted by reils49 View Post
              3. The spacer on the 8 round magazine kept sliding up the magazine. I thougt this was a solid part of the magazine base plate, but it was not.
              This wasn't a deal breaker on mine, but I literally had one of the first Shields out, and it did kind of drive me nuts.
              Originally posted by Michigan
              Now that you mention it, who are you?

Comment

Just as a heads up, IOP pricing should be about $319 if you have an authorized LEO dealer you can get it from.

They are nice little guns.
                I miss you, Dave.
                http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Originally posted by The Russian Dude View Post
                  I wish my lovely California had this gun in the list
                  It does

M&P 9 Shield with LCI & Mag Disconnect safety is rostered and a sought after handgun. It can be found for around $450-$550 for a new, rostered version, and $700 - $800 for a PPT off-roster version without the CA "features".
                  REINSTATE THE TRIG
                  Originally posted by Iowa #1603
                  Your logic defies logic
                  Originally posted by Rudy8116
                  Blah blah blah, cops don't need camo, something something something, why do police need armored vehicles, angry rant angry rant angry rant let's take them all away, angry masturbation.
                  Originally posted by Michigan
                  Arresting someone is fun, but playing with my pecker is still more fun.
                  Originally posted by TheTick
                  A pallet of Cheetos and pictures of my cock are inbound.
                  This gangsta *** mother ****er was twisting trees with dank nuggs while in his crib.
                  Originally posted by 02paul09
                  Being a cop these days in an officer safety issue

Comment

I got one a few years ago and I'm considering selling it but I'm torn. It's a first gen and I just can't get over the trigger but I love the size of it. It's a great carry gun for size and weight without a doubt and I've shot a lot of rounds through it without a hiccup. Honestly, I dislike striker fire guns in general (I carry a Sig on duty) and that's probably more of the problem for me then S&W's trigger.

Comment

Glad to read you like the shield. My job just authorized it for us to carry off duty and I'm considering it. Trigger isn't a big deal to me since they make our trigger pull 12lbs anyways [emoji1361]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have the same model. I waited for the no external safety version.

Love it.
                        All Gave Some - Some Gave All

Comment

Solid purchase.

I NEVER leave home without it.

I'll be tracking your thoughts on the sights. I go to Disney in a few months and will leave it for the armorer then if I decide on sights.
                          I like the Ameriglos so far. Just from the few rounds I put down range with them, and dry firing, I like them a lot better than my Trijicons. Not that the Trijicons aren't good, but these seem to really focus your attention on the front sight, quickly. They took me a little longer to install on the shield, than the triji's on my glocks, but it wasn't horrible.

I'll make you a deal, I will install those sights on your gun and you bring me one of those mouse ear hats with my name on it?

Comment

I also enjoy the M&P series, I have a full size 9mm as a duty gun, the Shield as a backup and a M&P AR15 X with a Aimpoint PRO that I hope to use as a patrol rifle.
                            Currently my dept only allows Colt and Bushmaster for patrol rifle, however my Sargent went to a M&P AR15 armory class last week and is going to try to get the brass to allow then for duty use.

Comment

I've been carrying a 9mm Shield since shortly after they were released. I love the gun. It shoots well, is easily concealed, and is comfortable in my IWB holster. The only thing I've done was put a set of Trijicon HD night sights on it. It's a great gun that I've recommended to tons of people looking for a conceal gun.
                              I carried a full size M&P .40 since the day it was first released and switched to the full size 9mm last year.
                              Anything worth shooting is worth shooting 3 or 4 times.

M-11

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3557 users online. 255 members and 3302 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X