X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1911 reliability problems? Hah!

Check this out...

http://www.1911forum.com/forums/show...5&pagenumber=1

This guy took a brand new, mil-spec springfield 1911 and has been shooting it without cleaning to see how long it lasts before a jam. He's up to 3000 rounds without a failure. I would take that gun to the range and dance around singing with it in front of all those Glock shooters out there.
    Sometimes I look at a person, and I just think, 'That person, right there, is the lowest common denominator.'

Do you believe this guy, or is it the case you want to believe this guy?

Simply because someone puts it on the internet it is not gospel, I
    "I neither approve or blame. I merely relate."- Voltaire

Comment

I sure can believe it, I have owned two SA 1911's a full size Mil- Spec and currently own the Micro Mil-Spec. I sold the full size to a co-worker, when I sold it I had put 2K rounds through it with 0 malfunctions and my Micro has over 1K through it same deal, 0 malfunctions. The Micro is one of the most accurate guns I've ever owned. I even had a Charles Daly (cheapo) that I put over 3K rounds through with only 2 malfunctions and they were BC of a bad magazine. The 1911 is as simple as a Glock to armor and you cannot beat the trigger feel of a 1911, I have all my 1911's set at 4 Lbs.
      Trooperden, akman75, & azmichelle ignored

Comment

I can belive it as well. I have a Colt (yes, a Colt) 1911 I bought in 1975. If kept reasonably clean and feed good to average ammo, it does not fail. For the 1st time it needs some work - the disconnector is slightly worn, so it can double. After a couple of boxcars full of all kinds of ammo, and 28 years, I can still trust my life to it!
        "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
        John Stuart Mill

Comment

I beleive it. All my guns can go 1,000 rounds or more between cleanings including my 1911's. Why it is when any gun that isn't a glock jams the gun sucks but when a glock jams the gun is still perfect?

Comment

I carry a Springfield 1911A1 on duty. I've been to the range 3 times in 6 months...had to perform a failure drill each time. While I find it a very accurate firearm, I much prefer a DA auto. And no, that does not automatically mean I'm talking about Glock.

EVERY firearm has the potential for a malfunction, period. I love my Beretta 96 (also a wonderfully accurate pistol, or is it just that I'm a good shot? ), but every once in a blue moon, it would malfunction and I would quickly execute my failure drill and come back on target.

Bottom line is I've now noticed there are TWO cults...those of the Church of Glock and the House of 1911A1.

And by the way...1000 rounds between cleanings? Why torture your pistol like that?
            "A man's got to know his limitations" --Inspector Harry Callahan in Magnum Force

Comment

Originally posted by Padres19
              [And by the way...1000 rounds between cleanings? Why torture your pistol like that? [/B]
              How is a thousand rounds between cleanings torture?

Comment

Originally posted by JRT6
                How is a thousand rounds between cleanings torture?

I was wondering the same thing

Comment

Padres19, If I had a failure each time I went to the range, I would find the cause and fix it. Is is bad ammo, bad mag, or a gun problem? After all, all you are betting is your life.

Or, were these Range Officer induced drills, to keep you sharp "just in case"?
                  "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
                  John Stuart Mill

Comment

I don't mean to criticize anyone's training routine, but only going to the range 3 times in 6 months??? If I only shot that often, I'd probably forget how to do a failure drill!
                    Sometimes I look at a person, and I just think, 'That person, right there, is the lowest common denominator.'

Comment

Am I the only one that cleans their pistol after going to the range? To me it just seems logical to get all the carbon out of the weapon reasonably soon. One less thing to worry about, unless the argument is that a dirty weapon is just as effective as a clean one.

Typically my Beretta can get temperamental if I go too long without throwing a dab of oil on the slide. I haven't fired the .45 enough to figure out if it's ammo, magazines, lubrication or something with the weapon itself.
                      "A man's got to know his limitations" --Inspector Harry Callahan in Magnum Force

Comment

I have a Glock and a Colt Combat Elite. I love them both. I try not to get into the Glock vs 1911 arguments because I like them both. If I were going to carry a duty weapon Glock would be first. Its just a more durable weapon in the elements, and it requires less maintanence. If I were competition shooting I would pick the Colt. As far as torture testing a gun, I don't think I could do it unless someone gave me the gun. If I spend my hard earned money on it or its an issued weapon that my life may depend on, it gets cleaned everytime it's fired (no exceptions). I will break my duty weapon down every few weeks if I don't shoot it and check it for any problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Padres19
                          Am I the only one that cleans their pistol after going to the range? .

100 rounds through a loose tolerance gun like a Glock is not going to make it fail to function, unless you are shooting dirty crap ammo.
                          I, at a regular range session have put 1K rounds through my G22 plenty of times sometimes up to 2K and I have never cleaned it during the session and it has yet to fail in ANY way. Sure when I'm done I clean it, but 100 rounds at qualification does not merit an immediate cleaning, hell it just threw a another 100 rounds down range and 100 is getting the lubrication where it needs to be. I 'am a firm believer in firing your weapon at least a magazine full after cleaning.

Comment

No one has yet to articulate how not cleaning a gun after some shooting is "torture" or whatever. In my range guns I shoot them till they start to jam before I clean them. Nothing ruins a handfitted gun faster than constantly taking it apart.

6233108 has brought up a good point. The reason the military function fires before an operation is that a lot can go wrong during cleaning that you won't know about till after having to pull the trigger.

Comment

Originally posted by Maliz
                              I don't mean to criticize anyone's training routine, but only going to the range 3 times in 6 months??? If I only shot that often, I'd probably forget how to do a failure drill!
                              yikes I wish I shot that often. We shoot three to four times a year on my dept...I try and get to the range myself at least three more times if I am lucky!
                              Happy to be here proud to serve

"Well it appears this lock does not accept american express."

Never trust fire fighters to point out a suspect.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3459 users online. 225 members and 3234 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X