300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do any of you also have a chl or HL

Or do you carry off duty based off the fact that you are an officer. I'm not sure how each state works which is why I put both HL and CHL. Here in Texas we recently went to being able to open carry so it's now HL. I've heard that as a police officer it's good to get a license in case of an officer being suspended or something like that or on administrative leave they can still carry off duty

Originally posted by Timeforsomeaction View Post
    Or do you carry off duty based off the fact that you are an officer. I'm not sure how each state works which is why I put both HL and CHL. Here in Texas we recently went to being able to open carry so it's now HL. I've heard that as a police officer it's good to get a license in case of an officer being suspended or something like that or on administrative leave they can still carry off duty
    I am able to apply for one just like any other person, but I don't. Even if I were to get a CCW permit, the Sheriff would suspend or revoke it in the event I were to be on admin leave or otherwise not allowed to carry.

Comment

Originally posted by Timeforsomeaction View Post
      For most cases yes a state permit (whatever your state would call it) would keep you "legal" under a suspenstion/dicipline etc. There is the chance like Sierra said if your local your Sheriff/Police Chief could revoke it. In my state when I was a municiple Sheriffs and Chiefs didn't have that power, the state police handled it and unless it was court ordered or one was under some kind of mental evaluation they couldn't do anything to a person. But each place is different.

Being BOP I know several Feds, BOP, Marshals etc that have their state permits just for such an occasion.

Comment

Here in Texas, the concealed handgun license is now called the "license to carry." I don't have one and won't unless forced into one. As an officer in Texas, you are limited where you can carry by law and agency policy.

I carry as an honorably retired law enforcement officer, but as far as I know, I could open carry if I desired since it doesn't show any restriction in the statute...but I wouldn't anyway. I don't want a LTC because I don't want to have that information to go out on the radio if I have any future dealings with LE in the future, and because it may restrict me somehow.

Comment

Originally posted by Sierra259 View Post
          I am able to apply for one just like any other person, but I don't. Even if I were to get a CCW permit, the Sheriff would suspend or revoke it in the event I were to be on admin leave or otherwise not allowed to carry.
          ...which is why my CHL is issued by a different county than the one I work in.
          "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

I'm in Texas and I have a LTC. The main reason is when I go to buy a gun I can bypass the background check. Even as a LEO you have to jump through all those hoops when purchasing a firearm. The license is cheap and easy to get as a LEO.
            Strong Body, Sharp Mind And Good Tactics!

Comment

Originally posted by tanksoldier View Post
              ...which is why my CHL is issued by a different county than the one I work in.
              Same. I work for the state, and have a county permit just because I can.
              I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

I let mine expire. We've got a lifetime license now, but I've not been bothered to get one. Probably should, just haven't.
                I miss you, Dave.
                http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Originally posted by Rush817 View Post
                  I'm in Texas and I have a LTC. The main reason is when I go to buy a gun I can bypass the background check. Even as a LEO you have to jump through all those hoops when purchasing a firearm. The license is cheap and easy to get as a LEO.
                  That is exactly why I got mine when the concealed carry law first passed in 1996, which was before LEOSA came about. At that time, it also gave me more rights while traveling through or visiting other states, than my badge did.
                  If your biggest work-related fear is getting a paper cut, don't try and tell a cop how to do his job.

Comment

Originally posted by Rush817 View Post
                    Yep, I just picked up a new gun a couple of days ago, and the guy asked why I didn't have one, at least to not have to go through the check. Again, checks take minutes, which I don't mind, but I just don't want it known to everyone on the police radio, that I'm carrying. If the officer doesn't know, I'm not going to tell him.
                    Last edited by ftttu; 03-02-2016, 02:41 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Originally posted by reils49 View Post
                      Same. I work for the state, and have a county permit just because I can.
                      The state issued me a state permit upon retirement. The actual size of the two part permit didn't allow you to carry it in a regular wallet. The state also made it annoying to purchase a new firearm.
                      I got my county permit and turned in the state permit.

Comment

Originally posted by Rettroop View Post
                        The state issued me a state permit upon retirement. The actual size of the two part permit didn't allow you to carry it in a regular wallet. The state also made it annoying to purchase a new firearm.
                        I got my county permit and turned in the state permit.
                        I feel so sorry for y'all up in the Northeast. Especially in retirement, the least amount of government, the better.

Comment

Originally posted by ftttu View Post
                          I feel so sorry for y'all up in the Northeast. Especially in retirement, the least amount of government, the better.
                          But in truth, we need to keep our "honorably retired LE officer" status every year with a qual course.

Comment

The dept in my city revokes your CCW once you become sworn.

Comment

In Iowa in order to buy a handgun you must have a permit to purchase ($10 a year)............

A permit to carry is $50 for 5 yrs then $25 for the next 5 yrs.....................It therefore is cheaper to have the carry permit.

Plus our agency doesn't charge cops or agency employees for the permits anyway.

Most officers/deputies get a state permit just because
                              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 13560 users online. 491 members and 13069 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X