300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firing issues with Walther P99

I am looking to purchase a P99 for academy. The deparment that I will join has an open gun policy, so brand isn't an issue.

Here's my problem:

After much research, I thought that I had finally settled on what gun to buy. I want to spend around $550 and I chose the P99 over a Glock. However, after a trip to the local, and well respected gun dealer, he said that he has been aware of two separate guns/occasions of the Walther .40 cal firing multiple rounds with one trigger pull. As a matter of fact, the local sheriff's dept. banned the Walther for one of those instances when during their academy a cadet fired "uzi" style during practice unintentionally.

Secondarily, he also said not to waste time on the .40 cal because it is just the old 10mm with a new name. The cartridge explodes rather than fires causing much more rapid break down of the gun and barrel, plus for Glocks it is still the 9mm frame with a bigger hole drilled in the front.

So now I am back to square one. Any thoughts in regards to either of these situations? Thanks!

Thanks!

I've owned BOTH a 9MM and a .40 P99. ZERO problems with either. Accuracy with the 9MM P99 was AWESOME...almost 'rifle-like'. Accuracy with the .40 P99 left a lot to be desired...as well as controlability.

IMO, you CANNOT go wrong with a Walther P99 in 9MM.

Oh, yeah....'WHY' do I no longer have either? Simple. LEO mags are a royal PITA to obtain for the P99. SW99 mags are identical, but the supply problem is still the same.
    Last edited by shooter1201; 11-17-2003, 07:10 AM.
    "When you guys get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a *****."
    -Commanding General, 1st Marine Division

Comment

Re: Firing issues with Walther P99

Originally posted by ALC55
      I am looking to purchase a P99 for academy. The deparment that I will join has an open gun policy, so brand isn't an issue.

Here's my problem:

After much research, I thought that I had finally settled on what gun to buy. I want to spend around $550 and I chose the P99 over a Glock. However, after a trip to the local, and well respected gun dealer, he said that he has been aware of two separate guns/occasions of the Walther .40 cal firing multiple rounds with one trigger pull. As a matter of fact, the local sheriff's dept. banned the Walther for one of those instances when during their academy a cadet fired "uzi" style during practice unintentionally.

Secondarily, he also said not to waste time on the .40 cal because it is just the old 10mm with a new name. The cartridge explodes rather than fires causing much more rapid break down of the gun and barrel, plus for Glocks it is still the 9mm frame with a bigger hole drilled in the front.

So now I am back to square one. Any thoughts in regards to either of these situations? Thanks!
      Thanks!
      Does this local and well respected gun dealer have no P99s to sell? I will work backwards through your post so you can see for yourself why you should no longer trust what this person tells you. He told you the cartridge explodes rather than fires. What is that suppose to mean? When a firing pin or stricker strikes the primer of a cartridge, the primer ignites the gunpowder inside the cartridge. The gunpowder burns rapidly, producing gas. The gas expands and takes more space than is inside the cartridge, so it pushes the bullet down the barrel. The recoil of a .40 is typically greater than the 9mm due to the higher pressures generated by the .40, but both cartridges ignite and fire in EXACTLY the same way.

The .40 was designed by S&W after the 10mm was created. The 10mm is a large round, and had to be placed into a large frame gun. S&W realized they could shorten the case and provide 10mm ballistic performance in a gun the same general size as the 9mm. The 10mm and .40 are not the same cartridge with different names.

If you like the P99 in .40 then by all means buy one, but from someone else.

Comment

I appreciate the comments! I don't know the gun dealer beyond reputation from others. I am very glad to hear about the no mechanical problems for the P99, but disappointed to hear about the inefficiency of the .40.

I have always been using the guidance a police officer I rode with told me to use when selecting caliber:

"If a guy the size of Hulk Hogan, high on drugs, is coming at you through the door to kill you and all you have are three of the same guns their only difference is caliber, 9mm .40 or .45, which will you grab to use?"

and

"The only reason I carry a .45 is because they don't make a .46"

I guess that's why I thought .40 was a good compromise on # of bullets vs size and accuracy.

Any thoughts regarding the notion that I have heard that the Glock .40 is the exact same gun as the 9mm only has a bigger hole in the front? I was told that Glock doesn't manufacture a .40 frame, that they just customized the 9mm to fire .40, and the 9mm and .45 are the two that are built for the bullets they fire. That is why the .40 will breakdown faster/more often than the other two.

I am a big fan of Glock, and am heavily leaning towards the .45 for duty weapon, although I still like that P99. Would anyone try and carry the P99 as a concealed as a BUG?, I know it's a little larger than normal.

Comment

MOST .40 weapons, REGARDLESS of make, were ORIGINALLY designed as a 9MM. The only exception I can think of is S&W's SIGMA. It was originally designed as a .40 to promote their new cartridge.

The 9MM is a high-pressure cartridge. The .40 more so, hence the seemingly faster 'breakdown' of such weapons.

Personally, I'd have NO problems whatsoever carrying a 9MM on duty, providing *I* got to choose the ammo. There isn't a nickle's worth of difference between a good 9MM and a good .40 round. Winchester's 127 grain +P+ Ranger and SPEER's 124 grain +P/+P+ Gold Dot are EXCELLENT duty rounds.
          "When you guys get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a *****."
          -Commanding General, 1st Marine Division

Comment

I've also heard that holsters that fit the Walther are few and far between. FWIW.
            Caution and worry never accomplished anything.

Comment

I have a SW99 in 9mm which is the sister of the P99. They are almost the exact same gun (I know I'm going to get it from shooter for saying that ). I love it. I had a little trouble with the first 100 rounds failing to eject but I've fired over 1500 since then and had zero problems. I agree that if you pick the right ammo, the 9mm can be comparable to the .40.

Just my .02.
              C. Davis

"Let us not forget those who gave their tomorrows for our todays"

Comment

1. The dealer does not deserve your (or anyone else's) trade. He lied to you, or simply dosn't know much.
                2. Walther, Glock, S&W, you name the brand, and they have had problems. Any time you make thousands of items, a few bad ones get out.
                3. 9mm vs. 40 vs. .45 SHOT PLACEMENT, SHOT PLACEMENT, SHOT PLACEMENT

Therefore, pick the pistol that feels best to you in one of these calibers. Get training, practice, buy ammo, get more training, prcatice. Develop confidence in your pistol. You'll be OK.
                "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
                John Stuart Mill

Comment

Thaks to all

My sincerest thanks to all who have responded. I like to have all the information I can get and having checked your ratings, I know the knowledge you have passed on can be trusted.

I know that every so often every manufacturer will produce a single gun that has problems. My decision will remain the P99 in .40 cal

Comment

I can't stand gun store commandos.

Clearwater FL has had no problems with their Walther .40's.

Comment

I just purchased the P99 Walther yesterday at another gun store. I will post later on how it performs. Thanks again for everyone's input!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3289 users online. 232 members and 3057 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X