300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S&W M&P 15T (Tactical) For Patrol Use

I couldn't find any specific information on this model in any other post. I have the opportunity to purchase this rifle for patrol use for $840. I am wondering if anyone else has used this particular model and could share their thoughts on it? It comes with a 1/8 twist, chrome key and bolt, but doesn't come with a chrome lined barrel like the Colt. My agency also authorizes the Colt 6920 and 6940 for duty use, but I am curious if the more affordable price of this rifle would put me at a distinct disadvantage as compared to the two Colt models that cost at least $300 more? My agency uses 64 grain Gold Dots (hollow points) for duty use and 55 grain and 62 grain FMJ ammo for practice.

We have the option to take a COLT or S&W rifle. I am qualified to carry both and honestly for patrol purposes, I would trust either if it ever (hopefully not) comes to that. Both have light mounts, 1 point slings, and a mixture of irons/EOTECH. Zero reliability issues have been reported with either brand. Both also shoot true. Everybody will have their own opinion on both rifles though.

Comment

(Excuse the extra post, unable to edit for some reason)

I should add that many report the melonite barrels to actually be more accurate. The $300 savings can then be applied to accessories

Comment

I'd get the Colt.
        All Gave Some - Some Gave All

{"data-align":"none","data-size":"custom","data-tempid":"temp_14312_1475388990098_890","height":"65","title":"flower.gif","width":"72"}

Comment

S&W M&P 15T (Tactical) For Patrol Use

If colt's an option it should be your choice. M&P rifles are ****, at least the ones we had at our PD. Terrible QC, we had a lot of problems with gas rings and the rifling, had rounds impacting sideways. It was to the point where I wouldn't trust one to take a shot with. Fwiw I paid $800 for my 6920 from DSG arms. Look around a bit, here's one they have in stock with Magpul gear (stock, handguards, pistol grip, vertical grip and rear sight):

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423003152.593283.jpg
          Last edited by SCSU74; 02-03-2015, 05:42 PM.
          In Valor there is hope

Comment

We have just started to experience some key holing issues in our S&W rifles as well. They get shot, but are nowhere near a round count that a barrel would be burning out yet. Don't even get me started on the issues we have had with their pistols... Their QC has been garbage lately and their customer service is even worse. Now we're looking to possibly re-barrel 5 yr old carbines and have reached out to Glock to possibly replace our 5 yr old M&P pistols... I'm still dumbfounded how what was once a premier firearms company has completely taken a dump in the past couple of years...

Comment

Originally posted by nkpd44 View Post
              We have just started to experience some key holing issues in our S&W rifles as well. They get shot, but are nowhere near a round count that a barrel would be burning out yet. Don't even get me started on the issues we have had with their pistols... Their QC has been garbage lately and their customer service is even worse. Now we're looking to possibly re-barrel 5 yr old carbines and have reached out to Glock to possibly replace our 5 yr old M&P pistols... I'm still dumbfounded how what was once a premier firearms company has completely taken a dump in the past couple of years...
              Can't agree more, very happy some new pistols are getting approved so I can dump my m&p. Back to Glock Hopefully I'll be able to carry my colt again soon..
              In Valor there is hope

Comment

Our colts are ok just that ok they use to be THE name in patrol AR but that is no longer the case Tanks a look at this
                better barrel, flash hider, grip stock etc.. About the same price http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_Y

it is available several places http://www.quanticotactical.com/asp/...&P%2015%205.56

I carry the Vtac-2 never a problem

Comment

Originally posted by nkpd44 View Post
                  When I went through firearms instructor school in 2012, we had a couple city cops in our class carrying the S&W MP 45. We fired a lot of ammo! Those SPD guys could shoot, but their MP 45's could not. Every few hundred rounds they would have malfunctions and after a few hundred more rounds they seemed to have trouble clearing their weapons. They would have to go back and do a little weapons maintenance and then catch up. Our Glocks were flawless.
                  I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

Our agency just purchased the Daniel Defense MV1, they are great! Shoots smooth and seems to be reliable. Prior to them issuing the patrol rifle, I carried my S&W M&P 15 MOE for about four years and never had any issues with it. Like someone already stated, everyone has their opinion!

Comment

Key holing on some of our S&W rifles as well (4-5 years old) and our M&P pistols are breaking as well. Apparently in the pistols, people at the factory like to install a bent spring into the firing pin safety...

Comment

Originally posted by AJLEO View Post
                        Our colts are ok just that ok they use to be THE name in patrol AR but that is no longer the case Tanks a look at this
                        better barrel, flash hider, grip stock etc.. About the same price http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_Y

it is available several places http://www.quanticotactical.com/asp/...&P%2015%205.56

I carry the Vtac-2 never a problem
                        Magpul furniture is cheap to add on any rifle. Based on my personal experiences with M&P pistols and rifles I'll never purchase anything from them again. Horrible QC
                        In Valor there is hope

Comment

S&W's QC has gone to shlt and they are just phoning it in. It took them NINE MOTHERFVCKING WEEKS to replace a broken barrel in my M&P9. My DUTY M&P9. Sadly it turns out that it only takes 4 weeks to replace a barrel, and there must be some mandatory policy where they are required to let your gun sit on a shelf in plain view for 5 weeks before they actually ship it after getting 5 phone calls in four weeks by the end user (me) and another final "demanding" phone call from the agency's Rangemaster.

In the last academy, there was the little issue of several front sights falling off, a couple gunsnot working due to broken fire control linkages of some kind, and a couple other guns with various issues. Total of 50% of all new M&P9s had mechanical malfunctions relating to poor QC.

Then let us all not forget the M&P15 barrel debacle of yore when they farmed out barrels to Mossberg and shipped thousands of guns stamped as 5.56 that were .223 and causing vertical stringing.

Then there is the issue of the M&P15 not using milspec components like the non-milspec grade aluminum receiver extension and so forth.

Seems minor, but when you consider that you can buy a Colt LE6920 for the same price, you really have no legit reason to buy a M&P15 unless you are mandated to.
                          "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."
                          -John Adams

Disclaimer: My statements are personal opinions, and in no way reflect those of my agency.

Comment

Wow! I was not expecting so many negative comments about the M&P-15. I've had mine for about 6 - 7 years and never had the first problem with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Reedo View Post
                              S&W's QC has gone to shlt and they are just phoning it in. It took them NINE MOTHERFVCKING WEEKS to replace a broken barrel in my M&P9. My DUTY M&P9. Sadly it turns out that it only takes 4 weeks to replace a barrel, and there must be some mandatory policy where they are required to let your gun sit on a shelf in plain view for 5 weeks before they actually ship it after getting 5 phone calls in four weeks by the end user (me) and another final "demanding" phone call from the agency's Rangemaster.

In the last academy, there was the little issue of several front sights falling off, a couple gunsnot working due to broken fire control linkages of some kind, and a couple other guns with various issues. Total of 50% of all new M&P9s had mechanical malfunctions relating to poor QC.

Then let us all not forget the M&P15 barrel debacle of yore when they farmed out barrels to Mossberg and shipped thousands of guns stamped as 5.56 that were .223 and causing vertical stringing.

Then there is the issue of the M&P15 not using milspec components like the non-milspec grade aluminum receiver extension and so forth.

Seems minor, but when you consider that you can buy a Colt LE6920 for the same price, you really have no legit reason to buy a M&P15 unless you are mandated to.
                              ^ ya, that!
                              In Valor there is hope

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5342 users online. 303 members and 5039 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X