Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are you guys using for SWAT Sniper

What are you guys using?

I just completed the SWAT Sniper course, and most guys were on AI MKIIs in 308. Few had R700s and 1 had AR. I went in with a PWS 5.56 and it was a hard task for me to keep the shots tight.

I'm going to propose we get a R700 SPS Tactical.... I'm confident the shorter barrel will be fine for this job since the shots are so close. There is no way on earth my dept will get us AIs... lol... I've been told most depts went away from Remingtons after they had issues with triggers and rounds going off inadvertently???

They were also pretty much all shooting Hornady TAP AMAX 168s

Just trying to get an idea on what to get us as well.

Thanks everyone.

We are getting rid of our last two Remingtons and getting two more FN SPR A5M XP's. They have all of the upgrades that we wanted to do to the Remingtons and can be had for under $2000 agency pricing. The two we currently have are lasers and far superior to the Remingtons in our experience.

The stock on the Remington that you want to get, flexes with the use of a bipod and touches the barrel. This is detrimental to accuracy and repeatability. You either have to sand out the barrel channel of the stock or replace the stock to remedy this problem. If you are stuck on getting a Remington, get a Remington 700P LTR. It has a way better stock and it is the barrel length you desire. Our ould Remingtons were the standard 700P with the barrel cut down to 22". They are good shooters. Good luck.

Comment

For a package rifle, you get a lot more for your money with an FN SPR or Tikka T3 Tactical than you do from a Remington. They are by far the most cost-effective bolt action options when it comes to an all-factory rifle. If you have the ability to build your own rifle from whatever, you can do a lot with a stock M700 like the SPS Tactical AAC-SD or from a "higher grade" model like a 5R or 700P.

I did a rifle procurement several years ago when your Remingtons were kaput, and we selected the AI AE MkIII. In the fact-finding phase, I was extremely impressed with what I found out about the FN SPR and not only how accurate they are, but how exceptional FN's customer service was. Tikka and Sako make a great rifle, but their customer service is through Beretta dealers, and I was never able to talk to the company directly. I had to go through distributors and got sick of the response "we'll talk to our rep". With FN, I was talking directly to the factory rep and he was eager to get a T&E rifle into our hands.

I looked at a lot of rifles, including semi-autos like KAC and LMT. Pretty much everything was a better option than a Remington.
      "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."
      -John Adams

Disclaimer: My statements are personal opinions, and in no way reflect those of my agency.

Comment

MP5 with an ACOG...
        Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by TheTick
          Lol. 9mm or .40?

POTY2015
          Due to the budget issues, it's been downgraded to more affordable .22 LR version.

Comment

Airsoft... More friendly.
            Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Might I suggest this:

If you hit your target I would imagine it would be a 1 shot stop.
              Stupid has no color or race, everyone can participate.

Comment

Originally posted by M1garand View Post
                Due to the budget issues, it's been downgraded to more affordable .22 LR version.
                That's getting more costly and harder to find every day lol!

Comment

Originally posted by 11B250 View Post
                  What are you guys using?

I just completed the SWAT Sniper course, and most guys were on AI MKIIs in 308. Few had R700s and 1 had AR. I went in with a PWS 5.56 and it was a hard task for me to keep the shots tight.

I'm going to propose we get a R700 SPS Tactical.... I'm confident the shorter barrel will be fine for this job since the shots are so close. There is no way on earth my dept will get us AIs... lol... I've been told most depts went away from Remingtons after they had issues with triggers and rounds going off inadvertently???

They were also pretty much all shooting Hornady TAP AMAX 168s

Just trying to get an idea on what to get us as well.

Thanks everyone.
                  To the OP: The trigger issue is easily fixed and there is also a new model out that supposedly "corrected the problem"

That aside... We use the R700 that is set up very similar to a m40a5. They all shoot great with no issues.

I am personally partial to the R700 and tikka t3's. You can't really go wrong with either.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4250 users online. 261 members and 3989 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X