300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S/w 637

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on a S/W Model 637 .38 Special +P? I'm thinking about getting my wife one for CC. I did get her a Ruger LCP in .380, but she has a problem cocking back the slide, and refuses to carry a live round in the chamber. My thinking is she can carry the 637 with the hammer down on an empty port and still have 4 rounds to play with.

Thanks for any input...

Ski

They are excellent, but I would recommend the hammerless 642 or shrouded hammer 638 to prevent draw stroke hangups on a carry gun.

Comment

Good point. If I am correct, the 638 will handle +p whereas the 642 will not. Thanks!

Comment

Go for a J frame 357 and either get light 357 mag rounds or use +p 38s. Please, what ever you decide on, DON'T let her leave the hammer on an empty chamber. The new designed revolvers have striker plates that prevent the hammer from coming in contact with the firing pin. Why ever leave an empty chamber. Cowboys and "Gun Slingers" used to do it because of the old designed single action revolvers. There is a place for 38s, but why when you could get a 357 and use both would you limit yourself to just a 38?!?!?!
        Stupid has no color or race, everyone can participate.

Comment

Originally posted by codemanski View Post
          Good point. If I am correct, the 638 will handle +p whereas the 642 will not. Thanks!
          Newer examples of either are rated to handle +Ps, old examples of either are not.

Originally posted by IAM Rand View Post
          Go for a J frame 357 and either get light 357 mag rounds or use +p 38s. Please, what ever you decide on, DON'T let her leave the hammer on an empty chamber. The new designed revolvers have striker plates that prevent the hammer from coming in contact with the firing pin. Why ever leave an empty chamber. Cowboys and "Gun Slingers" used to do it because of the old designed single action revolvers. There is a place for 38s, but why when you could get a 357 and use both would you limit yourself to just a 38?!?!?!
          I'm all about powerful loads, but .357 is pretty rough in airweight J frames. There is certainly no reason to keep a chamber empty on modern revolvers with transfer bars.

If you are really a glutton for ulnar nerve punishment, these Nigh Guard exists! http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_Y

Comment

Love my 637, it's my BUG. I'm probably in the minority, but I like having the ability to shoot SA if I want. I've never had it hang up in training. I had XS put one of their big dot front sights on and added hogue grips. Love it.
            In Valor there is hope

Comment

I carry a 442 as a bug and when I go running. Its got a pretty heavy trigger pull that I dought your accidentally going to pull. Really nice little gun for under 400 bucks.

Comment

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on a S/W Model 637 .38 Special +P? I'm thinking about getting my wife one for CC. I did get her a Ruger LCP in .380, but she has a problem cocking back the slide, and refuses to carry a live round in the chamber. My thinking is she can carry the 637 with the hammer down on an empty port and still have 4 rounds to play with.

Thanks for any input...

Ski
                I have the shrouded hammer version of that gun as my backup. I have no complaints. Fantastic firearm.
                Chris

XBOX Live: Citizen GaKar

http://i36.tinypic.com/1zoxgtc.gif

Comment

If she has issues racking the slide on an LCP, then try a slightly bigger gun with larger slide serrations like a Glock 26. The 637 will have substantial recoil and a very heavy trigger pull.

Although the revolver is a better choice if she is really going to be stuck on the empty chamber thing.

It basically sounds like she doesn't really have any interest in this, in which case no amount of you parading guns in front of her is likely to change her mind. If she is not going to carry regularly, I would just get a 4" steel revolver a la Ruger GP100 or S&W K-frame and just make sure she knows how to get to it in the house.
                  Originally posted by Michigan
                  Now that you mention it, who are you?

Comment

My SO has been looking at getting her CC so we have been shooting lots of different guns so she can see what she likes. After multiple different tests she loves the Glock 42. It is easy for her to manipulate the slide and she shoots it very well. I have a Smith 642 in 38spc but she doesn't like it because of the heavy trigger pull.

Comment

Kinda interested in the new Walther CCP. I sent this to my mother in law.

Stupid has no color or race, everyone can participate.

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU74 View Post
                        Love my 637, it's my BUG. I'm probably in the minority, but I like having the ability to shoot SA if I want. I've never had it hang up in training. I had XS put one of their big dot front sights on and added hogue grips. Love it.
                        I put Hogue grips on my 637 because the factory grips would interfer with the HKS and Safariland speedloaders. Otherwise it is a fine revolver.

Comment

Originally posted by SamRudolph View Post
                          It basically sounds like she doesn't really have any interest in this, in which case no amount of you parading guns in front of her is likely to change her mind.
                          Really most cop wives do not need to CCW. Let them come around to it. Guys are idiots and 90% guys pick something they think is best. A female Lieutenant carry a Beretta 25 ACP (with the tip up barrel feature) so my ex-wife got one and several other women got one.

Handguns are just tools to use to get to your shotgun or rifle, JMHO, YMMV.

Comment

Originally posted by Che View Post
                            Really most cop wives do not need to CCW. Let them come around to it. Guys are idiots and 90% guys pick something they think is best. A female Lieutenant carry a Beretta 25 ACP (with the tip up barrel feature) so my ex-wife got one and several other women got one.

Handguns are just tools to use to get to your shotgun or rifle, JMHO, YMMV.
                            My wife is VERY interested in CC. She is often alone with our disabled child, and would like knowing she has an answer for someone who gets stupid. She is a retired Correctional sergeant, and former police reserve officer so she knows her way around firearms. She has shot the LCP as well as my Glock 27 and likes them both, but she just doesn't like the idea of carrying a semi-auto with one in the pipe. That's why I thought the 442 or 632 would be a good match. Thanks to all for all the great input, I guess the final decision is up to her. Stay Safe!
                            Ski

Comment

My wife is VERY interested in CC. She is often alone with our disabled child, and would like knowing she has an answer for someone who gets stupid. She is a retired Correctional sergeant, and former police reserve officer so she knows her way around firearms. She has shot the LCP as well as my Glock 27 and likes them both, but she just doesn't like the idea of carrying a semi-auto with one in the pipe. That's why I thought the 442 or 632 would be a good match. Thanks to all for all the great input, I guess the final decision is up to her. Stay Safe!
                              Ski
                              If she knows her way around firearms what doesn't she like about carrying a semi auto with a round chambered?
                              In Valor there is hope

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4242 users online. 229 members and 4013 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X