Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Campus P.D. Officers, do you enjoy the job?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Campus P.D. Officers, do you enjoy the job?

I have been working for a campus P.D for quite a few years, and while I do not like every aspect of the job duties, it is a pretty good job. What do you think about it. Do you like it, or are you looking to move on as soon as possible?
    Last edited by Sackett; 01-02-2015, 11:10 PM. Reason: did not mean to post under firearms

Why is this in the firearms forum?

Comment

Did not mean to post it here. Trying to have it removed.

Comment

I feel the same way. If it wasn't for the pay and benefits, I probably keep looking for a city or county job. I also get major holidays off too. Something you will not get at a city and county
        "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." -- Winston Churchill

P.C. 832

Glock and AR-15 Armor

Comment

It's my third job. I do enjoy it. You have to be on your toes at all times...
          Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

There was another really good thread on this recently, try searching for it

Comment

I have mixed feelings on it. On one hand it's provided me with a good living, I've made some pretty good arrests, gotten some good training etc, but the goal for me was always to work in a more traditional law enforcement agency. The downside is there are no advancement opportunities. The college I'm at now and the one I worked at before don't have rotating days off. So unless I burn vacation time I haven't had a regularly scheduled weekend off in over 11 years.

Getting ANY police job in Massachusetts is a tough nut to crack and even with a good resume, campus experience as well as working as a part time local (small pd with little chance of going full time) I haven't been able to make much headway. I had looked at going out of state to Florida, even did a ride along with a member here on the board. I then went and got certified to work down there. Only thing is my other half isn't crazy about moving so we've had a running debate over it the last few years.

I'm sorry if I'm sounding negative, I've been kinda stuck in career rut for a while now and after turning 40 this summer its been bothering me a lot lately. I also know that the grass isn't always greener so I feel like I'm not sure what the heck I want to do some days .
              Last edited by Sgt Jack; 01-04-2015, 12:28 PM.
              "Massachusetts it's NOT All here!!!!"

Comment

Its alright if you don't mind the chief tearing up citations given to athletes on scholarship.
                I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within.

Douglas MacArthur

Comment

Or being told "Get you traffic stats up, but don't write students, staff, or alumni".
                  Originally posted by Ceridwen
                  Just one would be stingy of me, I'd have to get two. For the children.

Comment

Or a member of their immediate family.
                    I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within.

Douglas MacArthur

Comment

Sackett, it's good to see that you are still around. As for you others, it is what you make out of it. Anywhere you work it's just the same crap different day. The politics are the same, just different faces. I worked at a college and left because of a stupid supervisor. So, I went to another department where I had a worse supervisor. Three months later I ended up leaving there too. I wished I had stayed at the college. You never know what you had until you lose it. If I had stayed, I could have retired with 20 years, 3 yrs. ago. That hind sight sucks.

Comment

Slightly off topic question for the university police guys here, but does anybody know why it seems like many colleges DON'T use a rotating schedule? I am pretty sure most of the campus police departments here don't use one while their neighboring local PD's do and I always wondered why. Is there a strategic/staffing related reason for it or just a matter of preference on the department's behalf?

Comment

some do, and some don't. It depends on the Police Chief or the department. The college that I use to work for, let the senior officer get first choice of which shift to work. Then the next senior officer got to choose, until the last officer got the last slot. Most of the time the individual officers got what they wanted. This selection occurred every quarter or semester.

Comment

Originally posted by Kris396 View Post
                            Slightly off topic question for the university police guys here, but does anybody know why it seems like many colleges DON'T use a rotating schedule? I am pretty sure most of the campus police departments here don't use one while their neighboring local PD's do and I always wondered why. Is there a strategic/staffing related reason for it or just a matter of preference on the department's behalf?
                            We rotated every semester. I saw rotate, but it was really "jumble everyone up but the SGTs". The major was very good about helping those who were taking classes or had small children get their preferred shift, though, so it wasn't bad at all.
                            Originally posted by Ceridwen
                            Just one would be stingy of me, I'd have to get two. For the children.

Comment

Originally posted by Kris396 View Post
                              My ex-wife worked at one. They need more on Day Shift, Swing was much smaller and Graveyard was like two. Same on weekend staffing, only two per shift. For events it was O.T. unless its your regular shift but the PD took half the spots.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2614 users online. 136 members and 2478 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X