X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What a shot with a great gun

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooyaaaaaaaa

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/12/06...crazed-gunman/

Gotta love those M&Ps. Cop was pretty good too.
    Stupid has no color or race, everyone can participate.

That is all the indian.

Comment

Man, I don't think I'd have made that shot with 2 hands. Awesome shot.

Comment

If I shot from that range then I'd just be throwing away bullets.

Comment

100+ yards, in the dark, one handed? I hope this officer went and bought some lottery tickets that night, cause that's some serious luck right there.
          Last edited by JustAJ; 12-10-2014, 08:04 AM.

Comment

I doubt that luck had anything to do with it. A shooter with solid fundamentals and the proper mindset can make that shot.
            Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Originally posted by ateamer View Post
              I doubt that luck had anything to do with it. A shooter with solid fundamentals and the proper mindset can make that shot.
              I can do it with a few of my guns* in the day on a static setting about 2/3 of the time at 100y on and IDPA sized steel torso. That's two handed, no horses, and no movement on either end. I'm certainly not comfortable saying I could recreate the shot in the situation he made it in. I'd REALLY prefer to have an AR for that shot.

*Shooting single action, either 1911 or thumb cocking before firing, I've never tried it with a striker fired pistol and would likely embarrass myself if I attempted to do so.
              I miss you, Dave.
              http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Makes me want to hit the range and take my pistols out to 100yrds. The other rifle shooter there will be looking at me weird, but hey, it would be fun.

Comment

Originally posted by IAM Rand View Post
                  Makes me want to hit the range and take my pistols out to 100yrds. The other rifle shooter there will be looking at me weird, but hey, it would be fun.
                  It's not as tough as folks seem to think. The hardest part for me was getting the drop figured out with each gun. With a .38 and my cream puff handloads I had to hold about 4' over the target's head and you could read Game of Thrones waiting for the clang. .22 TCM was a dead hold and clanged before the slide was done cycling.

If you have access to one, the .22 TCM 1911 can make anyone with decent fundamentals into a 100y pistol shot. I ran two magazines through one and was really surprised. I wasn't sure what to expect from a Rock Island 1911 and what I figured was a gimmick cartridge. I don't know that I'd buy one myself, but it'll reach out and touch someone. It'd be a good gun for someone wanting to pick off varmints with a hand gun, at least.
                  I miss you, Dave.

Comment

Originally posted by CruiserClass View Post
                    ...With a .38...
                    On a sunny day, you can see .38 and .45 projectiles in the air when you're trying to lob them in at >100 yards. I can generally only hit full size steel torso targets about 1/2 of the time with striker or hammer fired handguns at 100 (taking my sweet time). I've found that I can hit about 90% of the time shooting single action with my 6" S&W 686 (125gr @ ~1500fps). Revolvers with long sight radiuses certainly seem to be the ticket for standing >50 yard handgun shots.

For Sgt. Adam Johnson to have made that shot with a striker fired handgun under that kind of pressure shows just how exceptional of a marksman he truly is. The man is a national hero in my book. He's certainly more than welcome to come shoot up some of my ammo. I'd like to see some sport shooting organizations and\or the NRA endorse him.
                    Last edited by Carbonfiberfoot; 12-11-2014, 04:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Carbonfiberfoot View Post
                      On a sunny day, you can see .38 and .45 projectiles in the air when you're trying to lob them in at >100 yards. I can generally only hit full size steel torso targets about 1/2 of the time with striker or hammer fired handguns at 100 (taking my sweet time). I've found that I can hit about 90% of the time shooting single action with my 6" S&W 686 (125gr @ ~1500fps). Revolvers with long sight radiuses certainly seem to be the ticket for standing >50 yard handgun shots.

For Sgt. Adam Johnson to have made that shot with a striker fired handgun under that kind of pressure shows just how exceptional of a marksman he truly is. The man is a national hero in my book. He's certainly more than welcome to come shoot up some of my ammo. I'd like to see some sport shooting organizations and\or the NRA endorse him.
                      You know the best part is any flyer he has at the range now is going to result in a LOT of heckling from everyone else at in-service. That's what you get for setting the bar too high.
                      I miss you, Dave.

Comment

In looking at the info on the website, Critical Duty has an 11" drop at 100. Aim for the noggin and hope for at least a gut shot. If the defendant is wearing a propeller hat then just aim for it and you should be good.

Comment

impressive! Great job SGT!
                          Chris

XBOX Live: Citizen GaKar

http://i36.tinypic.com/1zoxgtc.gif

Comment

Originally posted by ateamer View Post
                            I routinely take head shots at 50 and 100 yards for practice. Once I got great at it with my Colt Gold Cup I used other duty guns and currently using a Rock Island Full Size GI Model. Still on the gong and it is all about confidence.

Why? Years ago we were on the lookout for a pedophile / murder suspect (he had escalated his violence against children) and by chance a patrol spotted the suspect with a victim and the foot pursuit is on and the officer decided he will never catch the suspect and put him down at 50+ yards with a 125 JHP 38 +P. Sometimes you got to make the shot.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3120 users online. 160 members and 2960 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X