300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hiding in plain sight

I'm in the market for a gun safe, but in the process, I realized that the gun safe still has several problems:
    1. Obvious - it is storing valuable contents
    2. Not discreet - it is a large and onerous, doesn't fit with the rest of your home/garage
    3. Questionable security - even higher-end gun safes can be disabled or compromised in 5-10 minutes or so with most safes being vulnerable to a dual-pry bar attack in less than a minute, so security isn't super high to begin with.

So, I was trying to figure out if you could make a gun safe not look like a gun safe. If that could be done for a low cost, would that be useful/a good idea to help protect my issued and personal weapons?

Would greatly appreciate any/all thoughts here.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=gun+furniture

Originally posted by jay lee View Post
    I'm in the market for a gun safe, but in the process, I realized that the gun safe still has several problems:
    1. Obvious - it is storing valuable contents
    2. Not discreet - it is a large and onerous, doesn't fit with the rest of your home/garage
    3. Questionable security - even higher-end gun safes can be disabled or compromised in 5-10 minutes or so with most safes being vulnerable to a dual-pry bar attack in less than a minute, so security isn't super high to begin with.

So, I was trying to figure out if you could make a gun safe not look like a gun safe. If that could be done for a low cost, would that be useful/a good idea to help protect my issued and personal weapons?

Would greatly appreciate any/all thoughts here.
    In case you haven't figured it out-------------NOTHING is 100% foolproof. A safe of ANY size is only a stopgap for someone who really wants in (that includes BANK VAULTS)

You get what you can afford and go from there.
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

When you get a safe, bolt that thing to the ground in a corner where someone can't use a pry bar on the door. If you don't bolt them down, $2k safes can be tipped over and pried open within minutes.

If you really want to do things right, I'd recommend a shock sensor within the safe that triggers an alert on your phone. Remotely accessible security cameras are very inexpensive and easy to configure\access these days. If you have some class 3 hardware (you live in CA, sorry!), or just want even more peace of mind, battery backups and redundant wired and\or cell signal connectivity options are a good idea.

Comment

http://tacticalwalls.com/

Comment

Totally agree that you get what you pay for Iowa. I guess I just keep wondering if there is a better way; assuming nothing is 100% secure.

I love the stuff the guys from Tactical Walls are doing. That was sort of my line of thinking (you can't take what you don't see), but there isn't much in the way of fire protection there which in CA is sort of a big deal.

Can you make a safe disappear in plain view? Sort of combining Tactical Walls, basic fire protection and at least some theft protection?

Comment

Big safes that are bolted to the ground will stop 99% of burglars. The other 1% are people that know you have a safe and are burglarizing you for a specific item in that safe.

Comment

Stick in the bathroom and build a fake shower stall around it. I don't imagine most thieves check the shower.

Take an old refrigerator, gut it and place the safe within it. An old chest freezer might also work. I've seen both refrigerators and freezers with built in locks...so the idea of having one locked isn't all that odd of a concept. You might not even need an entire fridge...if you had an alcove or small room that you could cover with a refrigerator door, you could have the appearance of a recessed refrigerator but the reality would have it opening into a room or safe.

Maybe something like concealing a safe in a clothes wardrobe would work..

If you're talented constructionally, you could put a fake wall somewhere and conceal it that way. A fake fireplace facade might also work.

Here's another thought. Rip up part of the floor, conceal a fire safe within, smooth it all out and toss a throw rug over it. What thief moves rugs to examine the floor?

Comment

JL - Go to the CG website and do a search on this topic. There are numerous threads, and a lot of guys were willig to post pics. Some of the highlights:

Decals used to disguise it as a fridge (available online)
                A fridge used to disguise it as a fridge (gutted to surround the safe)
                Creating built-in shelving around it with a false shelf in front that swings out

It's actually not hard to camouflage a safe in a garage that is set up as a shop, provided you already have large/bulky items along the walls. A decent safe is going to haveat least a 30 minute fire rating, and *always* bolt it down. As someone else posted, the casual burglar is going to be beaten by a safe that's bolted down.

Comment

Thanks JustAJ - I'll check out CalGuns today. I'm not a member of that forum, but it sounds like there is some great info there, so thanks for the tip! Have you tried any of those options? Do you have any favorites?

Love the shower and fridge idea Merlin - I hadn't thought of that. I sketched out a basic wood cabinet facade that would blend in with the rest of the decor in my house. I rent, so I don't know if the landlord would be super stoked if I threw anchor bolts into his brand new hardwood floors And yeah, I don't think bad guys move rugs! Have you tried any of these that you like?

Comment

You want a gun safe that you can get your gun out of quickly enough if needed, yet impenetrable to a would-be thief?

(scratching head)

ummm... carbonite?

Comment

Originally posted by jay lee View Post
                      Thanks JustAJ - I'll check out CalGuns today. I'm not a member of that forum, but it sounds like there is some great info there, so thanks for the tip! Have you tried any of those options? Do you have any favorites?
                      I really really dug how the one guy did the built in storage surround - if you didn't *know* there was a gun safe there, you wouldn't ever guess. And some of the fridge decal setups are fantastic, but a tad pricey. Personally, mine is literally in plain sight, but it blends very well where it's at to where you don't realize what it is.

Comment

That's sort of what I've been thinking: if you don't know there is a gun safe present and the location doesn't look likely to have one, you likely won't guess to conduct a deeper search for one. The fridge decal setups are cool. I don't know, maybe the cost is worth it if it is cheaper than insurance or the headache of replacing them?

I like the idea of camo-ing the safe because you get basic theft and fire protection mixed with the disguise. Depending on where you stored your gun safe, would it be strange to have two vertical fridges in your house? Not sure, just thinking out loud here...?

Comment

Here's another idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Seventy2002 View Post
                            Hell yeah! Hidden rooms are high on my list of must haves if I ever get rich enough to build my own house.

Sorry for the thread jack jay lee.
                            Last edited by JustAJ; 12-10-2014, 07:48 AM.

Comment

Hidden rooms are also in a similar line of thinking...What if you could just hide the safe?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3994 users online. 215 members and 3779 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X