300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M&P 9 help

Hey guys, looking for some feedback on my new duty gun. I recently switched PD's and with that change I was required to purchase an M&P 9. I've only carried Glock's and Sig's up until this point so M&P's are new to me. The only changes I made to the M&P were to add night sights (Trij HD's, same as my Glock) and an Apex USB (Ultimate Striker Block). The first time at the range didn't go so well, I was getting nice tight groups, but everything was low/left. With my Glock 17 I am dead nuts on and routinely qualify at 100 or near 100. I'm using the exact same grip and shooting technique so nothing has changed on that end. I was using aluminum case 115g (Federal) at the range if that makes a difference? I typically shoot 124g when the PD provides ammo (with my Glock).

I was just curious if anyone else had similar issues when switching from Glock to M&P or if anyone had some feedback on what might be going on. I go to the range with my new PD in a few weeks and have been dry firing like crazy trying to get used to the M&P. I'm able to do the drill where you balance a penny on the front sight while pulling the trigger and I don't have any movement. I've also been doing ball/dummy drills and haven't been noticing any major flinching. I have the large backstrap installed and that seems like the best fit for my XXL hands. Appreciate any and all help!
    In Valor there is hope

Hey brother maybe it's the back strap? Can you try a different size? What about the sights no chance they could be off?

Comment

Originally posted by Rocket1487 View Post
      Hey brother maybe it's the back strap? Can you try a different size? What about the sights no chance they could be off?
      They could be, but I don't know why shots would be low? I'm thinking it might be the **** ammo.
      In Valor there is hope

Comment

If it's not fitting your hand well who knows what a bad grip can do.

Comment

You are probably used to that jacked up Glock grip angle where you have to move you wrist down to the the Glock to shoot straight.

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU74 View Post
            ...I was required to purchase an M&P 9. I've only carried Glock's and Sig's up until this point...
            My condolences.

Comment

Originally posted by Tmg View Post
              You are probably used to that jacked up Glock grip angle where you have to move you wrist down to the the Glock to shoot straight.
              That's what I was kind of thinking too, but when I dry fire everything is rock solid without any movement in the sights. Unless I'm pushing the whole gun down as the shot breaks?

Originally posted by Rocket1487 View Post
              If it's not fitting your hand well who knows what a bad grip can do.
              With the large insert the gun is very comfortable, seems like it fits great.
              In Valor there is hope

Comment

Originally posted by Carbonfiberfoot View Post
                My condolences.
                Rumor has it that our range master is a big Sig guy, fingers crossed... ha
                In Valor there is hope

Comment

I typically shoot everything really well. Shooting is my only hobby. I purchased a M&P9 for a duty gun and everything started out great. It wasn't as accurate as most my guns but I could still shoot a 100 on my qual. As I shot it more and more the shooting got worse and worse. So I trained more and more. I typically shoot around 1k a month but was pushing my training to 1.8k+ the last couple months and my accuracy was only getting worse. I shot a police match recently and it was frustrating and demoralizing to see myself do so bad. So I borrowed a fellow officers Glock and re-ran it smoking the stage and possibly setting the best time.

I started researching and learned the M&P9 has a problem with the barrel unlocking before the bullet leaves which instantly ruins accuracy. Now my shots aren't low left they are just all around the bullseye on 15 yards and back getting worse the further back I go. I can typically go 5 for 5 on a 1/4 AC steel at 100 yards but I'm struggling to do it, maybe 3 of 5, with the M&P at 50 yards which to me is unacceptable.

Solution: Buy Glock 17/34 and I have been talking to the main instructor about warning future cops about the M&P.

I have been shooting this M&P9 since Feb and the round count through it is about 8k. It already has minor pitting on the breach face, the trigger bar developed a large bur where it engages the sear, and the accessory rail is wearing away causing my x300u to wobble.

I'm not gentle to any of my guns. I run them hard during training but these are problems I didn't expect to see until about 100k rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by TJ_208 View Post
                    I typically shoot around 1k a month but was pushing my training to 1.8k+ the last couple months
                    How the hell do you afford that???

Comment

I have a dillon 650xl and buy components in bulk. It's still not cheap but I make that big police money and write everything off on my taxes.

100 rounds cost me about $13-14 when I load my own.

Comment

As another has said, grip may play a large part and I normally tell people who are switching calibers from smaller to larger that they are anticipating the recoil too much. However, that's not your case. You could still be anticipating recoil because of the switch from Glock to S&W, maybe you're feeling less confident in that the M&P may be snappier when it comes to shooting 9mm? I don't know. Just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Tmg View Post
                          How the hell do you afford that???
                          Deleted response
                          Last edited by 1911user; 10-18-2014, 02:55 PM.
                          Hey Kidd, I've got more time On Meal than you have "On the Job"

Comment

If it's a mechanical issue, I heard that S&W has great customer service...
                            "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."
                            -John Adams

Disclaimer: My statements are personal opinions, and in no way reflect those of my agency.

Comment

Looks like it was an ammo issue. Using 124g American Eagle ammo I am back where I want to be. Apparently 115g aluminum ammo is no bueno
                              In Valor there is hope

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7033 users online. 370 members and 6663 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X