Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help/Advice on Duty Weapon

Need some input on a duty weapon.

The agency I hired on with issues the M&P40 but has a personal weapon policy. Requirements are .40 or .45 and most major brands including 1911 models are approved. I would love to go with a Springfield TRP but really not into dropping 1400 + holster, mags, etc at this point.

So I'm tossing around the ideal of going with the G35 Gen4 for a few reasons. I like the longer barrel length and the sight length. My backup gun will be a G27 so interchangeable mags are a plus. My EDC is a G19 with 10k through it so I have decent experience with the brand. For the most part, I like Glock products. The only thing holding me back is that I've owned a G22. It was a solid, reliable gun but I wasn't big on the snappy recoil that comes with .40 so I sold it.

Maybe the G35 Gen4 with it's improvements, weighing heavier, added weight of a x300 will reduce some of that "snappiness"? If my agency allowed 9mm, I'd go with a G34 with no questions.

I know only range time will help me decide but no range in my area has a G35 for rental so I'm hoping you guys can share personal experiences with both the M&P40 and G35, pros/cons, etc.

Thanks in advance.

I will add some personal insight on some of your points.

My agency issues the M&P 40. I like the gun and can shoot it very accurately, but I also have a lot of experience with it. Many glock fans that are forced to switch to the M&P do not like it because of the trigger, and simply because it isn't a glock. That being said, if I had the option to carry a .45 caliber I would, especially if I could carry a 1911. I'm a huge fan of 1911's, and while they can be pricey, they are time tested weapons that can shoot accurately and put your target down with ease.

While I have not shot any of the "30" series glocks, I have shot the "20" series counterparts, which are the majority of the issued models. There are many reasons why departmetns issue them... price, accuracy, reliability, ect...

Ultimately like you said, it's going to come down to what you are most comfortable with and can shoot the best. I'm perfectly happy with my M&P, but if I had the choice, I would definitely carry a .45 caliber. I prefer all metal guns as well, so I would still lean toward the 1911 or even a sig sauer.

In the end the question is this: "On the day when you need it the most, when you might need to possibly make that one decision that you can't take back, what gun would you trust the most to pull out of your holser?" Only you can answer that.

Comment

Thanks, I appreciate the reply. I love the 1911. Fits my hand great as I'm not the biggest guy. The grip angle allows the sights to line up perfectly for me. I guess that answers my question. The only hold back was the price point but my or someone else's life outweighs the cost I'll be spending.

Comment

My take on duty weapons is the following: get whatever you shoot well that your agency will allow. Something to keep in mind is holster availability for the G35 if your agency has certain holster models that are mandated regardless of firearm (Level of retention, certain features, etc). That being said, all Gen 4's supposedly have a new recoil spring system that improved felt, or perceived recoil, but honestly I cannot tell any difference between my Gen 3 G22, the SO's RTF2 Gen 3 G22's and my Gen 4 duty G22 when I shoot for qual. YMMV may vary on the recoil (note, I have a TLRs-1 on my Gen 4). I do like that I can use duty mags in my backup if I have to though.

Comment

As everyone said, get what's the best for you. It sounds like your a Glock guy. If you haven't tried the M&P, try it and see if you like it, they are great guns. Personally I like DA/SA guns. I carry a hooked up (customized) Sig SP2022 in .40.

If I were to choose again, I'd probably get a CZ P-09 or a Sig P226 because the higher round counts. But then again, 9mm isn't a choice for you.

I like 1911's, which is originally what I was going to carry. Once I started looking at the features I wanted, it is of my opinion that they aren't the best for duty. I'd seriously look at the CZ lineup.

Comment

There is a thread in this forum or another where it asks which duty weapon you would carry if all handguns and ammo type were open to you. At first glance, I thought I'd be able to answer that, but a second later, I felt overwhelmed with the possibilities.

You will only get opinions on this subject as you know, but if you rent a few models and in different calibers at a local gun store, I'm sure you can eventually settle on one or two.

As for me, my G23.4 and my H&K P2000 .40.

Comment

I would just carry the issued m&p. Its a good gun and the pd is responsible for repairs.

Comment

I just WISH I could carry my S&W M&P again
                Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

If you're going to continue to EDC a Glock, go with Glock.

I love the 1911. It was my EDC for years before I got hired on with a department that doesn't allow it. However, if you're going to carry a 1911, you need to always carry a 1911. It is a terrifically bad idea to be constantly switching back and forth between safety/no safety, two completely different triggers, and two different grip angles. Keep everything the same as much as you can. If Glock works for you, go Glock and you'll be more proficient than if you switch back and forth all the time.
                  I miss you, Dave.
                  http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Why not buck the trend and go with a .45? If you like the G35 you'll love the G21 or G41 (long slide). If I had my choice, I'd carry a G21 (4th Gen). My department issues us Gen 4 G22s but I'm not a huge fan of .40S&W. I will be relocating to the PNW (or should I say relocating BACK to the west) and one of the departments I'm looking at issues G22s but allows personal M&P's and Glocks including .45ACP. Just a thought...

IM(not so)HO, magazine interchangeability between primary and secondary (BUG) is a moot issue. Carry enough reloads for both and make every shot count (I carry a 9mm BUG).

Comment

i switched from a glock to m&p and couldnt be happier. try it, you might like it.

Comment

You might want to check your general orders. Many agencies with personally-owned weapon policies require recruits to complete the academy with the issue pistol. You may well find the M&P40 to your liking. If that is the case and you want to stay with the same operating system, you might consider the M&Pc and/or Shield for off-duty/back-up roles.
                        John from Maryland

Comment

Originally posted by Tmg View Post
                          I would just carry the issued m&p. Its a good gun and the pd is responsible for repairs.
                          And if/when you're involved in a shooting it's their gun sitting in evidence, not yours. Your agency will give you another one just like it to replace that one.
                          183 FBINA

Comment

Get what's approved that you feel most comfortable with at whatever price you need to pay. If you don't, you'll eventually end up selling your second choice for a loss and spend the money anyways. My belief is that one should never settle for "good enough" when it comes to safety equipment.
                            "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

Originally posted by ISPCAPT View Post
                              And if/when you're involved in a shooting it's their gun sitting in evidence, not yours. Your agency will give you another one just like it to replace that one.
                              I'd much rather carry what I'm best with, giving me the best chance I can have to survive a gun fight, then worry about my gun sitting in evidence. I don't think any of our officers who've had their personal guns sit in evidence for awhile thought "gosh, I sure wish I'd been slower and less accurate in that gun fight." We normally get rifles back within a few weeks. I'm not sure on handguns, but would figure it'd be the same.

Are you carrying because they make you? Are you carrying just to qualify? Or are you carrying to save your own life,the lives of your partners, and the lives of citizens?

If you knew you were about to be ambushed with a gun fight, how much would you pay for 0.15 seconds off of your holster to "A" box hit time? How much would you pay to shrink your groups by 30%? Reduce your split times by 20%? That's about the difference (rounded) between my personal handgun that I actually carry vs my issued Glock with sits in the safe except on range days when we have to qualify with all weapons we have on the books.
                              I miss you, Dave.
                              http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4913 users online. 296 members and 4617 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X