300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polishing internals on duty firearm?

This most likely has been asked in the past, but I didn't see anything recently and didn't want to dig up any potentially years old threads.

Has anyone polished the internal metal parts on their duty firearms? I know there is some concern over people polishing with dremels and removing material, but what about simply some flitz and q tips? I've done this on some personal owned guns mainly to clean up some machine marks, but not on my duty weapons. I also realize that firing rounds will give a similar smooth feel, but short of firing thousands of rounds, I've found polishing speeds up the process.

Anyone have any concerns or opinions on this being done on a duty firearm? I'm strictly speaking about carefully polishing with patches and qtips, no dremels used. Could this be considered more than just a detailed clean?

Polishing is fine, even with a Dremel... If you do it right. One of the biggest differences between regular guns and the pricier guns is fit and finish. It takes time and money to remove machine marks and polish.

Comment

Our duty weapons are broken down every 6 months and parts replaced as needed. Unauthorized alterations will get us in deep poop.
      Being a good street cop is like coming to work in a wet suit and peeing in your pants. It's a nice warm feeling, but you're the only one who knows anything has happened.

Comment

Yes, actually I sound mention I own my duty gun. If it were an agency gun, I wouldn't do it without permission.

Comment

We aren't allowed to with our issued duty guns. Personally owned guns that you've qualified with can have modifications, including a polished internal. Our armorers will do it for you or you can have it done on your own, but it must then pass an armorer inspection.
          I miss you, Dave.
          http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Triggers are such a touchy subject. Look at the Glock NY trigger. What does this accomplish?

My contention is this....

If you follow the firearms safety four golden rules, then when you are on target, and ready to fire, what does it truly matter if the trigger pull weight is 3.5 pounds? 4.5 pounds? 10 pounds? etc.

We know that the most detrimental part of marksmanship is trigger control and anticipation. Have you shot a light trigger? I find it easier. I'm not talking super light, goes bang if the wind blows trigger, but a good 3.5 pound trigger with polished internals. This mind frame that a slightly lighter trigger pull and shiny trigger components will lend itself to more accidental discharges and more suspects being shot isn't the worry of the trigger, its not following the tenants of firearm safety.

As a Glock armorer and shooting enthusiast, firearms instructor, I find no issue with polishing trigger components. By polishing by hand, you are getting that gritty feeling of the trigger gone. You aren't adjusting pre travel, over travel, reset, pull weight, etc. The same thing can be had by many thousands of rounds through the firearm.

Comment

I only clean and gently oil my sidearm, no polishing or anything major.
              The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
              that we are all that stands between
              the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

One issue to consider is should you be involved in a shooting, will the fact that you "altered" your duty weapon be used against you in an investigation of the shooting? (Criminal or civil)

"You polished the gun parts to make it kill better"
                "You altered the gun because you are a gun nut and shouldn't be a cop"
                "You altered your gun and is fired too easily, if you hadn't polished it, my client would not have been shot"
                etc. etc. etc
                My comments are my personal opinion and are based on my life experiences and training. They are not to be construed as legal advice in any form as I am not an attorney. Should you act on any of the information I provide in my comments, you do so at your own risk!!

Comment

It puts the lotion on.
                  Stupid has no color or race, everyone can participate.

Comment

Originally posted by chiefjack View Post
                    One issue to consider is should you be involved in a shooting, will the fact that you "altered" your duty weapon be used against you in an investigation of the shooting? (Criminal or civil)

"You polished the gun parts to make it kill better"
                    "You altered the gun because you are a gun nut and shouldn't be a cop"
                    "You altered your gun and is fired too easily, if you hadn't polished it, my client would not have been shot"
                    etc. etc. etc
                    The parts were polished to give more trigger control, allowing more precise shot placement, reducing the need for additional rounds fired.

The trigger had nothing to do with the decision to fire. That decision was made before the finger ever touched the trigger.
                    Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Lets be real. Polishing the trigger components is not going to change the litigation. You can do everything right with a weapon out of the box and still get grilled for something. It doesn't matter. For those that have been through extensive criminal and civil cases whether you do everything right or some things wrong, the same thing happens with the opposing council. When people make arguments such as the above quoted ones, it lends me to think that this is the old sage stories passed down from generation to generation and not from personal experience.

Please re-read what polishing a trigger does. It doesn't make the weapon any more susceptible to being fired. Doesn't alter trigger weight, pre travel, over travel or take up. It aids in reducing the machining marks on the metal and making those surfaces not get caught on one another. Smoother trigger pull generally makes the shooter have better trigger control, thus putting better hits on target.

Anyway, at the end of the day I"m just a guy with an opinion based on personal experience. No parts of our job are one size fits all. I'm completely comfortable with polished components. If you aren't, don't do it.

Comment

Since we're being real, what does your policy say? Any applicable case law stemming from your state? Because that is real whether we like it or not.

Comment

I wish this forum had a sarcasm button. It would make my life a lot better!!
                          My comments are my personal opinion and are based on my life experiences and training. They are not to be construed as legal advice in any form as I am not an attorney. Should you act on any of the information I provide in my comments, you do so at your own risk!!

Comment

Flitz and Q-tip should be OK as long as you are within your agency policy. Couldn't hurt to ask your supervisor and your armorer to be sure, though.

You about gave me a heart attack when I saw the dreaded D-word in connection with "mods to my service weapon..."
                            Originally posted by Michigan
                            Now that you mention it, who are you?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5025 users online. 291 members and 4734 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X