300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New BUG/off duty opinions

I've pretty much narrowed my choice for new BUG/off duty to the G42 and the LCR. Granted, they're are completely weapons, but I'm still not 100% sold on the 380 cal. However, I love the Glock trigger,carry a G22 and have had a 27 for almost 12 years as my BUG. Opinions?
    Being a good street cop is like coming to work in a wet suit and peeing in your pants. It's a nice warm feeling, but you're the only one who knows anything has happened.

I just got an lcr and hate it. You cant ride the reset on it. You have to let the trigger all the way out before you pull it again. While at the range i had several instances where i pulled the trigger, the barrel cycled, but the hammer did not fall so the round did not fire.

Comment

Carry a Glock 19

Ok on a serious note. The G42 sounds hit or miss as far as reliability. Some people have had issues with FTF/FTE and others have had no problems at all. With good .380 ammo it just about puts in on par with basic 9mm loads. The LCR is a great revolver with either load, .38+P or .357. It's a revolver so it should be extremely reliable (which small .380's aren't known to be). Only downside is the 5 rounds, so I'd carry a speed loader/strip or two.

I would say it all comes down to what your comfortable with and knowing your limitations for each weapon.
      "All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing."

Comment

Originally posted by Tmg View Post
        I just got an lcr and hate it. You cant ride the reset on it. You have to let the trigger all the way out before you pull it again. While at the range i had several instances where i pulled the trigger, the barrel cycled, but the hammer did not fall so the round did not fire.
        That was my main concern. I'm so accustomed to the short reset trigger (all ours are NY trigger pulls) that I tend to hate any fireman that isn't. I tried the shield,hated it. Had a kahr, kel tec and Walther. Hated all them 2. Always returned to the glock or single action 1911. Thanks for the input. I really wanted to give a revolver a shot, but in the end, I'm pretty sure I'll always be a loyal glock guy. Kinda like being in the apple cult.
        Being a good street cop is like coming to work in a wet suit and peeing in your pants. It's a nice warm feeling, but you're the only one who knows anything has happened.

Comment

I'd avoid .380 if possible. Glock is supposedly releasing a 42 size 9mm soon.
          In Valor there is hope

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU74 View Post
            I'd avoid .380 if possible. Glock is supposedly releasing a 42 size 9mm soon.
            All the reps said no.

Comment

I'm not a fan of revolvers but I did put a lot of thought into my decision. I'd like more rounds, but most small guns don't have a huge capacity anyway.

My wife had a 38 snub from the 80's that her ex-husband bought her. It was miserable to shoot, even with rubber grips. I do gunsmithing and decided to go to work. Got some Hogue wood grips (look nice and won't stick on clothing), shaved the fixed front sight and added a XS tritium big dot sight, bobbed the hammer spur, did a trigger job and put lighter springs in it, and added a clip draw. Now its a pleasure to shoot.

I'm also a gun dealer so I have a decent amount of other guns. Since I did work in the snubby, have carried anything else off duty. With the clip draw, I don't even use a holster, just slide it in between my pants and my body. Can't even tell it's there because the small profile. Keep a bianchi speed strip with 6 rounds in my back pocket.

I'll add a pic when I get on the computer.

Comment

Originally posted by stormz5192 View Post
                All the reps said no.
                Hmm, our rep said late this year or possibly early next year. The 42 is the platform for them to do 9 and 40 as well
                In Valor there is hope

Comment

My BUG is an LCR. Great little gun.
                  I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within.

Douglas MacArthur

Comment

Originally posted by KenW. View Post
                    My BUG is an LCR. Great little gun.
                    I really like it, just concerned about the trigger.

Comment

Have a 42. Very happy with it and how I can shoot it. Shot the full duty qual with it and had no problem.

Comment

I have an LCR in 357. Love it. I own Glocks, but not the 42. Not a 380 fan.

Comment

I also heard that the "G43" 9mm will be out in late Q4 of 2014. This was from a Glock insider (not a rep). Whether this is legit, or if it's the "Glock Black Rifle" thing all over again, who knows. Releasing it at SHOT 2015 would likely be the better marketing move, but only time will tell regardless.

Here's the issue- g42 is .380. .380 is better than all the calibers below it, but it's never going to be on par with any quality 9mm duty load. EVER. If you compare the size of the G42 to other pistols, it's comparable size to guns like the M&P Shield, Kahr PM/CM9 and Springfield XDS. All those options are 9mm. I just don't understand why anyone would buy a .380ACP pistol that is the same size as a 9mm. It just does not compute for me.

Then you have the .38spl option. If you look at the terminal performance of a .38spl out of a short barrel revolver, the performance is disappointing and you will not get a round that will penetrate to FBI BRF/IWBA standards. Dr. Gary Roberts did a good write-up on this. If you decide to get a revolver, get one that can shoot .357mag. Also, get a S&W. I know several cops with Ruger OD/BUG pistols, and all but one have been back to Ruger for warranty work. No joke. In contrast, we have several guys with S&W revolvers as OD/BUGs that are anywhere from 5-25years old. All are dead-nuts reliable with exceptional quality.
                          Last edited by Reedo; 08-17-2014, 11:53 PM.
                          "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."
                          -John Adams

Disclaimer: My statements are personal opinions, and in no way reflect those of my agency.

Comment

I'm not really clear on why you would switch from the G27 if you still carry a G22.

If you have to fight with the gun you won't be shooting the G27 wishing you had a G42. Not so the other way around.

I carry a P226 on duty, P225 off and a S&W M36 when I need something REALLY small and/or as my backup.

I won't go smaller than a J-frame in .38 +P.

If you look at the terminal performance of a .38spl out of a short barrel revolver, the performance is disappointing and you will not get a round that will penetrate to FBI BRF/IWBA standards
                            Others disagree:

http://www.handgunsmag.com/ammo/ammu...olvers_111610/
                            Last edited by tanksoldier; 08-18-2014, 12:17 AM.
                            "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Remember this is a backup gun, different requirements/priorities than a duty gun. I think a 38+p would suffice in most cases. You could go with the "FBI" load, which is 158gr semi-wadcutter hollow points.

Personally I worry more about round count than the caliber. Don't know if that's logical or the right answer, but that's what my concern is.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4587 users online. 161 members and 4426 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X