300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best weapon for hurt animal?

I work in a more rural PD. We do not have an animal control and we have a lot of deer. It is not uncommon for us to have to put down an injured animal.

My question is, what is the best type of round to use for an injured animal (such as a deer) that needs to be put down on a roadway. I am always worried about a ricochet when shooting a deer on a road with my .40.

Policy aside (we don't have one), I am looking for the safest most effective round to use.

Believe it or not, the California Highway Patrol has a manual on how to put down just about every critter there is. It comes complete with fully illustrated diagrams of each animal, where to shoot, how to do it, etc. If you drop their Headquarters a note on your department letterhead and ask, I'm guessing they may send you a copy.

In the mean time, I will share this with you…....just because.

Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

5_395584.jpg

Quiet, precise, and no discharge-of-firearm report.

Comment

Mossberg 500 with a 1oz slug does the trick when you can safely get the shot off.

“This life’s hard, but it’s harder if you’re stupid.”

George V. Higgins--The Friends of Eddie Coyle

Comment

http://c.ymcdn.com/sites/www.michvma...humane_eut.pdf

I use .40 for deer. No issues.
          All Gave Some - Some Gave All

Comment

Our animal control officers carry a .22 LR bolt action.
            "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

I have put down a cow with a 40 as well as every deer ever encountered. Placement is the main issue. I have done head shots as well as chest. Just make sure of your background. Once you hit the deer the round will lose quite a bit of energy.

Comment

When I was in patrol I always used a 1oz slug from a 12 gauge. I put down quite a few deer, a few cows, and a horse or two. Slug to the head always got it done quickly and effectively, without any further suffering on the part of the animal.
                Anything worth shooting is worth shooting 3 or 4 times.

M-11

Comment

Deer, Cattle, etc

Draw an imaginary x between the ears and the eyes. Hit the center of the X with a .40

Secondary target is at the base of the skull where it connects with the neck

Very little chance of ricochet
                  Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I've put down many of deer with a .40. Just shoot between the eyes. What are you worried about the ricochet from the skull or missing? There are some that just use a knife so they don't have to do our quick form for putting an animal down but I just stick to the gun.
                    Where'd you learn that, Cheech? Drug school?

Comment

There has been multiple occasions where I have seen people mess up a headshot with a .40. They have left part of the deer's head is missing and it's still alive. I've been told that the best way to avoid this is to shoot them behind the ear if you are going to use a pistol.

If you have access to one then I thinkt that .223 in the chest cavity would be your best bet to avoid ricochet.

Comment

Gotta go with 'ole mossy and a slug.

Took my first whitetail with a Winchester Model 12 and a Brenekke slug at about 70 yards. Shotgun had a 2.5X scope.
                        Last edited by KenW.; 08-09-2014, 12:14 AM.
                        I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within.

Douglas MacArthur

Comment

Never witnessed or had a ricochet. Hollow points stop quick.
                          Being a good street cop is like coming to work in a wet suit and peeing in your pants. It's a nice warm feeling, but you're the only one who knows anything has happened.

Comment

Buckshot works, Rifle round, or a round from your .40. Killed plenty with all of the above. Shot placement.... Between eyes and ears, make sure you dont shoot under the eye because thats not a kill. Behind the shoulder works, as well as back of head or between eyes. Dont worry about ricochet.
                            "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who wish us harm." ---George Orwell

Comment

Omg, you are all so mean and nasty. Everyone knows you hafta call the animal ambulance to take them to the vet for surgery. There's never any reason to shoot an unarmed animal!!!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 14732 users online. 464 members and 14268 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X