300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ar-10 problem

Im new to the ar platform and have just recently finished building an armalite ar-10. Tried everything out make sure all the functions work like hey are supposed to prior to shooting and all was good. I took it out for a test fire and it fires the round and tries to load the next round but can't because the previous case it stuck in the chamber. After pulling pretty hard on the charging handle it will extract the case. Also had to tap one out with a cleaning rod. It does this every shot and I'm not sure what i have going on. I have only fired 4 rounds out of it and don't want to shoot any more till i figure out whats going on. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Not knowing anything about your build. Did you build with a .308 Winchester chambered barrel rather than a NATO 7.62X51. If you did then shooting the military cartridge can explain the stuck cases.

Try another brand of ammo, and some 308 winchester ammo rather than military ball.

Increase the tension of the extractor spring.

Comment

Also could be a problem with your combination of parts; barrell length and recoil buffer for example. Just because gun parts fit together, doesnt mean they function together. Without breaking down the rifle myself, its hard to say. Just curious, if you're new to the AR, why are you building one?
      I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

Its chambered for .308 and i'm shooting federal ammo. I bought the upper already complete and milled an 80% lower. All the components where bought for me as a gift all i had to do was put it together. thanks for your answers. I'll try increasing the extractor spring and see if that helps.

Comment

I'm sorry i was incorrect about the what its chambered for. It says chambered for 7.62 nato but will shoot .308win or 7.62, all i have tried is the .308win cartridge so far should i try the 7.62nato and see if it works better?

Comment

I had a 7.62 NATO too and it really prefers military spec ammunition. The .308 Winchester from Walmart will do, once, so do not plan on reloading the cases. A issue could be "headspacing". You need to try a "go / no go" gauge to see if it was really put together right.

Good luck and have fun.

Comment

Thanks for your answer i will have to try the 7.62 nato and a combo of different things to see if i can get it work right.

Comment

Gas and extractor problems could cause failures to extract. However, if you are consistently getting cases actually stuck/sticking in the chamber, you likely have a chamber that is out of spec. Gauge it and see if it meets specifications. If it's not in spec, send it back and get a replacement.
                "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."
                -John Adams

Disclaimer: My statements are personal opinions, and in no way reflect those of my agency.

Comment

Thanks for all your answers and suggestions, I finally got some 7.62nato ammo and haven't had a problem with it since. Shoots great.

Comment

Is it a new barrel? If so did you clean all the factroy greese and oil out of the chamber? I had an AR15 I put together that did that. It could also be that it is over gased and you may need an ajustable gas block.

Comment

Brand new everything put together by myself, and yes i took a lot of time to clean out the factory grease, polish the feed ramps etc. Since i've been shootin 7.62nato rounds i haven't had an issue so far.

Comment

First, check your headspace with go/no go gauges. I know many people skimp on this when building ARs, but really you should check this out. I know it may be working with the new ammo, but you shouldn't be having extraction issues like that with factory ammo. Something isn't in spec quite right and you may have a headspace issue or a really tightly cut chamber. If either are the case, I would suggest having the maker of the upper warrant the barrel and have the chamber recut.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6023 users online. 329 members and 5694 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X