300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kahr CW40 or Shield 40

I have just recently been firearms certified with a Glock 22 in 40. Now I would like to utilize the free 40 cal practice ammo and buy a CCW/BUG pocket semi in the same caliber. I have handled several different platforms and have decided to go with a single stack in 40. Both the S&W and Kahr make ones that I am interested in. The Shield in 40 and the CW40 are both sized just right and I am curious, I can get the Kahr for about 350 and the shield is about 400 (Unless anyone knows if they do LE Sales, I couldn't find a good answer on anything after 2012) Just wondering about opinions.
    I Collect Patches ! ! !. Willing to trade PM if interested

My Happy Patch trading buddies: swepd, CUSECOP, adktreepolice,

As someone who has owned both, I say Shield.
    Originally posted by Ceridwen
    Just one would be stingy of me, I'd have to get two. For the children.

Comment

I have a kahr cm9 and I'm a big fan. Buddy has a cw9 and he really likes it. The trigger is not going to be like the s&w or glock, but it's still a very smooth DAO. I have only shot the m&p line once and it was years ago. I don't have much insight regarding the shield.

Comment

I'd choose neither. IMO, the G27 is a better choice. Same as the g22 and quite concealable. $ 399 with LE pricing.
        Being a good street cop is like coming to work in a wet suit and peeing in your pants. It's a nice warm feeling, but you're the only one who knows anything has happened.

Comment

Thought about the glock but its a little "Chunky" in relation to the other two. I like my Women Chubby not necessarily my CCW/BUG.

Comment

Originally posted by Copernicus View Post
            Thought about the glock but its a little "Chunky" in relation to the other two. I like my Women Chubby not necessarily my CCW/BUG.
            What model Glock? Honestly that would be recommendation, but you didnt offer it as a choice. If I had to pick between your options I would take the Kahr.

I carried a K40 for a while and it was one of those guns I should have held onto.
            I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

For the 40 Caliber that I want I had looked into the Glock 27, however It's a little wide for how I want to carry it, Thats why I want a single stack. If the Glock 42 came out in 40 I'd probably look into that. Also The Shield with the extended mags and the Kahr are just big enought to get all my fingers on when I hold it, the glock grip seemed akward.

Comment

^ What he said. 9mm ammo has been improved alot over the years, and many agencies are switching from the .40 back to 9mm for multiple reasons.

My dept issued .45's upon graduating and everyone ran out and got Glock 30's and Glock 36's(because of the free practice ammo). I was the only guy to buy a 9mm. I did this because I had many rounds downrange with a Glock 17 and 19, and knew that I was a better shot with 9mm than .45, only hits count. With todays technology 9mm will do the job if you do your part.

If your dead set on .40 then wait until Springfield Armory makes the XDs makes a .40
                Last edited by ERMedic; 06-02-2014, 10:30 AM.
                "All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing."

Comment

Originally posted by TheTick
                  The .40 is a snappy round for a gun that size, but.
                  I agree with this 100%; it is manageable if you train to it.
                  I have never shot the Kahr, but have the Glock 27 and the Shield. IMHO, the Shield has the most awful trigger one could imagine. To many casual shooters, this isn't an issue and I would say whichever fits your hands better.

“Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie.”

Miyamoto Musashi

“Life Is Hard, But It's Harder When You're Stupid”

George V. Higgins (from The Friends of Eddie Coyle)

Comment

Originally posted by ERMedic View Post
                    ^ What he said. 9mm ammo has been improved alot over the years, and many agencies are switching from the .40 back to 9mm for multiple reasons.

My dept issued .45's upon graduating and everyone ran out and got Glock 30's and Glock 36's(because of the free practice ammo). I was the only guy to buy a 9mm. I did this because I had many rounds downrange with a Glock 17 and 19, and knew that I was a better shot with 9mm than .45, only hits count. With todays technology 9mm will do the job if you do your part.

If your dead set on .40 then wait until Springfield Armory makes the XDs makes a .40
                    when the xds came out they said the 9 mm was coming and it did they have flat out said they will not make it in .40 it is pointless added recoil. unless they changed their minds.

I would go with the shield only if you are willing to do the apex trigger kit. I do not like the m&p trigger. Kahr is a good gun as well don't have a ton of trigger time behind either have shot the pm9 and had some fail to feeds and trigger is a bit springy. I have shot the shield with an apex kit and that was good, but I carry a glock 26. I am waiting on the single stack glocks if that does not happen shield in 9 it will be should be able to get one for about 350ish
                    Last edited by AJLEO; 06-03-2014, 06:19 PM.

Comment

Good choice. I have an XDS .45 based solely on the fact that the Shield 9mm is currently like finding a Sasquatch riding on a Chupacabra that is ****ting rainbows and ice cream...
                      9mm Shield in stock for $350: http://sfarmoryinc.com/product.smith...finish-57-1133

Comment

Thanks for the input. I'm going to be heading down to Scottsdale Gun Club (a Huge LEO Section from what I hear) on Monday and check out several items. There is also a gun show here in town this week that I might sneak into and see what I can get.

Not a big fan of XD's, although havent held an XDS yet. the Local gun shop here in town has 2 Shields, I didn't know they were hard to find. Might go with the Shield if the money is close due to the extra magazine, otherwise I still REALLY Like the Kahr.

Glock 27 is still an option, but for later. Unless there's a release of a GLock 49 (or 50 or 51 or...) that is a single stack 40 cal with a just right grip.

Also still want to get a Ruger LCR, seems like there isn't enough money to go around for everything that I want.

Comment

My last post was kinda meant to wrap up the topic. THe comments about the LCR and the Glock 27 are meant to be two things I will buy LATER. I am limited on what I can buy. MY next purchase is going to be either a Kahr CW40 or a smith and Wesson shield in 40. I need a slim (Single stack) 40 caliber Semi Automatic Pistol, preferably with enough grip size so that I don'thave a dangling pinky. . Later on in my career I do intend to buy a ruger LCR, but thats farther down the road. The way it is now I can only buy about 1 gun every two years. Sorry to cause any confusion

Comment

Yeah, the issue is that I need to lay hands on it immediately. My wife isn't going to let me pay for the Shield and wait. I gotta get it and unload the XDS in one swoop.
                            I generally back-brief mine on firearms purchases.

“Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie.”

Miyamoto Musashi

“Life Is Hard, But It's Harder When You're Stupid”

George V. Higgins (from The Friends of Eddie Coyle)

Comment

I had the Kahr and sold it. I shot the shield at quals last week. Hated the trigger.
                              Being a good street cop is like coming to work in a wet suit and peeing in your pants. It's a nice warm feeling, but you're the only one who knows anything has happened.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6333 users online. 339 members and 5994 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X