300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ar-10 for patrol?

I was curious to see if anyone uses an ar-10 for a patrol rifle in place of the ar-15, and what are the pros and cons of using ar-10 instead of the ar-15?

I know the California Fish and Wildlife Wardens carry the AR-10...

As someone who owns an AR-15, and AR-10, and a SCAR 17S, I would pick the AR-15 as my patrol rifle. It's lighter, holds more rounds, and is more common. The recoil is much more manageable and I'm able to carry more ammo for it.

Comment

I have shot a SCAR and an AR and wouldn't have a problem with either 5.56 or 308. I am not sure that the amount of ammo would matter in this case. You can get hi-cap mags for either. You would have to be concerned with over penetration with both. Bottom line is what you can shoot better.
      Stupid has no color or race, everyone can participate.

Comment

What environment? What are your expected engagement ranges? Odds of intermediate barriers during the firefight?

The longer the distances and the more cluttered with stuff in between, the more the .308 shines. Up close were followup shot speed matters and there's not much between you, the .223 shines. The easy to manage recoil helps you stay on target or switch between multiple up close targets much faster.

We have a piece of tree about as big around as a coffee can that was struck from both directions during a shootout with a bank robber. Our guys had AR's. He had an AK. The 7.62 blew through the tree and kept on trucking. The .223 stopped in the tree.
        I miss you, Dave.
        http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

As usual, CruiserClass is right. I live in a remote area, with a county larger than Rhode Island and only 22 deputies (out of an authorized 47). But once you approach that 1964 Airstream trailer, which would you rather take in with you - the 15 or the bigger, heavier 10 ?

What you do defines what equipment you need. And the fact that you have a .308 does NOT change the nature of the shooting you may experience.
          "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
          John Stuart Mill

Comment

Only issue with the AR-10 is generally they are going to be a bit heavier and because they have more reciprocating mass combined with a higher recoiling round they tend to be a little harder to shoot and are prone to exposing flaws in the shooter's form that the AR-15 will not. For most of what patrol does, the AR-15 is plenty capable.

I would rather see someone carrying a SCAR 17 for patrol before the AR-10 simply because they are a little easier for most users to shoot well as it is a smoother platform.

Both the AR-10 and the SCAR 17 are great platforms where there is a need for it, but my opinion is that for much of us on patrol the AR-15 is of more relevance (With my preference being an SBR as they are better balanced and a bit more versatile.)

Comment

Originally posted by Abit2585 View Post
              I was curious to see if anyone uses an ar-10 for a patrol rifle in place of the ar-15, and what are the pros and cons of using ar-10 instead of the ar-15?
              Both an AR10 and AR15 have their advantages and disadvantages. In my past life, I was a game warden in a very rural area and my duty rifle was a .308. Yes, a little heavier than an AR15, but more effective at longer ranges or in dealing with larger critters that need to be taken down. In a more urban setting or possibly more traditional law enforcement, I'd take an AR-15. In the country or woods, rather than city or suburbia, I'd take the AR-10.

Comment

In an urban environment I think the AR-15 is the most viable choice for a patrol rifle. The decreased likelihood of over-penetration with the .223/.556 round is better suited to "in-town" use. In a more rural environment, where there is an increased likelihood of a longer range encounter, I think the AR-10 definitely has its place. Both a fine weapons that will perform better in the proper environment.
                Anything worth shooting is worth shooting 3 or 4 times.

M-11

Comment

I haven't had the experience of shooting either the ar-15 or ar-10, so does the ar-10 really have that much more recoil than the ar-15?

Comment

Originally posted by Abit2585 View Post
                    I haven't had the experience of shooting either the ar-15 or ar-10, so does the ar-10 really have that much more recoil than the ar-15?
                    I've shot a Sig 716 with an 18 inch barrel. It definitely has more recoil than a standard AR-15, but it isn't what I would consider "bad" and certainly isn't problematic or anything. At the other end of the spectrum is my PWS MK114. It has virtually no recoil. Everyone that I have let shoot it is just shocked at how little recoil it has. Just a very gentle nudge on your shoulder with each shot.
                    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting 3 or 4 times.

M-11

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5279 users online. 335 members and 4944 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X