300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sigs

One our officers just got back from a close quarter combat class and the instructors called Sig pistols antiquated. I have also heard that before from others along with bore axis design issues. I still like them but are the P series pistols in need of an overhaul?

I think it's a bit "over blown" and the Sig 226's, 229's, and 220's are still workable duty guns.

The bad part of Sigs:

1) High bore axis (shouldn't matter in the majority of police shootings since they are typically a short distance). It does play a part when trying to conceal the firearm off duty or plain clothes.
    2) Low magazine capacity compared to other firearms in class
    3) DA/SA trigger is a dated design IMHO and hard for the casual shooter (which most police are) to master.
    4) Weight. Sigs are heavy. Not an issue really for uniform but off duty and plain clothes is a pain.
    5) Expensive when compared to leading competitors in class.
    6) Non ambi controls which until recently hasn't been a talking point in many handguns but it is now.

They have introduced a striker fire firearm so it will be interesting to see how it's perceived on the market. For uniform patrol there is nothing wrong with a 226, 229, or 220. I would rather have a 229 in uniform then a Glock or MP personally because I shot them well.

Comment

Can you shoot them well and do you feel that you can/could use it in a manner to protect yourself or someone else should you need to? I have said it before, you may need to use someone else's weapon to protect yourself or someone else. You should be able to shoot a Sig as well as you can shoot anything else. Everyone has their preferences to what type and model they like. Sigs as far as I know are well built guns and I know some people that still carry them. If it works for you then keep using them.
      Last edited by IAM Rand; 04-30-2014, 05:32 PM.
      Stupid has no color or race, everyone can participate.

Comment

Originally posted by colt06 View Post
        One our officers just got back from a close quarter combat class and the instructors called Sig pistols antiquated.
        This subjective opinion of an unnamed instructor, whose credentials and qualifications are unknown should be taken for what it is worth--his opinion.
        I have also heard that before from others along with bore axis design issues.
        If Sig is still marketing this design, and it is making money for them, people are obviously buying them. I like Glock pistols because they are idiot proof and dependable. There are people who prove me wrong on this every day and they hate Glocks.
        I still like them but are the P series pistols in need of an overhaul?
        I enjoy shooting the Sig and it is a great firearm--this is only my opinion. What do you think? Are they due for an overhaul?

“Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie.”

Miyamoto Musashi

“Life Is Hard, But It's Harder When You're Stupid”

George V. Higgins (from The Friends of Eddie Coyle)

Comment

I carry a P226 (9mm) built in 1984 on duty and a P225 (9mm) built in 1995 off duty.

If you practice with your tools as you should, none of the issues raised in this thread are a problem.

Cops shouldn't BE casual shooters.
          My P226 holds 20 rounds in the magazine. How many more do you need?
          "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

My department issues and mandates Glock for duty carry, and I am most comfortable with that particular gun; mainly because I carry and practice with it more than any others. However, Sigs are fine guns, and I have a P220 I keep at the house. If I had to purchase my own duty gun, or was mandated to carry a Sig, I would have no complaint. Unless of course it is one of the new P250. I haven't fooled with them much, but have heard more bad than good. The Sig classic models are a very reliable and valuable weapon. IMO, they are not obsolete or outdated. However, that is my opinion, just as the instructor you referenced had his opinion. As long as you are comfortable and familiar with what is on your hip, you should be fine.

Comment

I agree cops shouldn't be casual shooters but I would say our area is full of them. Mostly because departments around here can't afford to train as much as they would like. Others just don't train outside of work. I do carry a Sig on duty and like it but some instructors just have to smack talk I guess. In my years of being an Officer I didn't really hear much about the bore axis until recently.

Comment

Originally posted by tanksoldier View Post
                I carry a P226 (9mm) built in 1984 on duty and a P225 (9mm) built in 1995 off duty.

If you practice with your tools as you should, none of the issues raised in this thread are a problem.

Well obviously cops *shouldn't* be casual shooters but the reality is most are. Maybe if you work in a 4-7 man department and most are "gun guys" this isn't the case. But working with a couple thousand you aren't going to expect everyone to be training like Rambo. There isn't enough time, space, or instructors at the range for everyone. Just the reality of the situation.

The 2340 I was issued held 12 rounds. The Glock comparable (G23) is 13 rounds while the G22 is 15 rounds. Does 1 or 2 rounds matter? Likely not but it is certainly a selling point when discussing the plus and menses of the platform.

Again....given the chance I'd take a 229 any day of the week but it does lack a lot of offerings that many firearms this day and age have as stated in my first post.

It's not a Chevy or Ford argument just my observations of the platform and it looks like Sig is finally coming around and agreeing by offering a striker fire weapon that corrects some of my talking points.

Comment

Anybody checked out one of these? P320, sigs response to the M&P, XD, Glock, etc.
                  http://www.janes.com/article/32458/s...-pistol-family

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bs4Cz5pzjKM

In the video it looks like the pistol malfunctions (no lock back) at 1:30. Ha, not a great promo video....

Going for about $650 on gunbroker.

Another video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DFOmKQxliU

I'll seriously look into these once they are out for a bit longer and had some solid reviews.

Comment

Originally posted by tanksoldier View Post

Wow, talk about past their service life. We usually get new guns every 7-10 years and that's after they are gone through and things replaced twice a year if needed.
                    Being a good street cop is like coming to work in a wet suit and peeing in your pants. It's a nice warm feeling, but you're the only one who knows anything has happened.

Comment

Well obviously cops *shouldn't* be casual shooters but the reality is most are.
                      Most are overweight, out of shape and die early, too.

I don't believe in hardware solutions to software problems.

We hold lives in our hands. We should not be casual about it in any sense.

Wow, talk about past their service life.
                      With proper maintenance a quality firearm will last generations.

Both are scheduled to go back to SIG, again, this year for the SSP tune-up.
                      "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

I don't believe in hardware solutions to software problems.
                        I have asked this question before with my revolver post. Unfortunately due to size and money restrictions the powers that be prefer simplicity and cost savings. If someone carries a 1911 then they have no arguments over an 7-8 shot revolver like Smith. I can load just as fast as the average cop on patrol. If I practiced even more I could probably beat most of them.
                        Stupid has no color or race, everyone can participate.

Comment

Originally posted by sapper324 View Post
                          In the video it looks like the pistol malfunctions (no lock back) at 1:30. Ha, not a great promo video....
                          I'm going to guess that had more to do with his incredibly ****ed up grip. I like sigs, but I agree that they are heavy, bulky, and lately have had questionable quality control. Having said that, my P220 is one of the most accurate guns I've ever had. But I'll still stick to my HK P30.

Comment

Yea, his grip made me laugh. When he went to shoot...I cocked my head to the side, with a "WTF?"

Comment

I have a sig 229 in 9mm that I carry off duty. It's a da/sa. Yes it's heavier then my glock and m&p but i love it. I carry it everyday. I have heard that sigs quality has gone down in the last few years but I have no complaints about my sig. Everyone is going to have different views and opinions. If you carry a weapon you should practice with it and become proficient. No excuse not to train.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3750 users online. 199 members and 3551 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X