300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The first 'smart gun'

The first so-called “smart gun” has hit the shelves at U.S. retail outlets, including one of the biggest firearms stores in California, according a news report.

The first so-called “smart gun” has hit the shelves at U.S. retail outlets, including one of the biggest firearms stores in California, according to the Washington Post.

The Smart System iP1, a .22-caliber pistol made by the German gun-maker Armatix GmbH, can only function with an accompanying wristwatch, which is sold separately.

When the RFID-equipped watch is activated by a PIN number and placed near the gun — like when a shooter grips the handle — it sends a signal to unlock the gun and a light on the back of the weapon turns green, according to the report. Otherwise, the firearm stays locked and the light on the back remains red, it stated.

The pistol sells for $1,399 and the watch retails for another $399 — more than double the cost of .40-caliber Glock handgun, according to the article.

The company is betting that demand for the technology will increase as consumers seek guns modified for safety.
    Last edited by pittguy1984; 02-21-2014, 09:51 PM.

So what happens when it doesn't work in a self defense situation?

"Oh, sorry Mr. Badguy, my pistol didn't start up right. I have to reboot it."

Comment

That is one expensive 22

Comment

Originally posted by Sierra259 View Post
        So what happens when it doesn't work in a self defense situation?

"Oh, sorry Mr. Badguy, my pistol didn't start up right. I have to reboot it."
        People may as well throw their money away if they decide to buy that weapon. If they want a "safer" gun, they can spend $1800 for that, or they could learn to keep their finger off the trigger.

Comment

Weapon disablement systems are hateworthy -- especially the more complicated ones -- practice weapon retention and control -- I like safety for everyone but I hate safeties on guns -- like pittguy1984 said -- finger off trigger -- that's all anyone needs to keep it from going off -- so let's please focus on making sure it fires only when and always when we want it to just as we ensure we do.

Comment

So a bad guy can still rip the gun out of your hand and shoot you if he's still close...

I love how they downplay the cost of a $1400 gun being "more than double" than a glock... that's a serious understatement..

Comment

The company is betting that demand for the technology will increase as consumers seek guns modified for safety.
              The company is full of retarded people who don't realize only anti-gun politicians want guns "modified for safety". The rest of us keep our booger hooks off the bang switch until it's go time, and are looking for guns that are rleiable, shoot well, and come in at a decent price point.

Comment

Will Uncle Joe's shotgun get one of these? Cars and guns. I am getting wary of both with too much tech. I don't want my car to talk to another car and I don't want my gun to talk to my bracelet or ring.
                Stupid has no color or race, everyone can participate.

Comment

Just think about the fingerprint recognition guns that are in development. Like to wear shooting gloves? Want your spouse or kids to be able to use your gun? Get a cut and need a band aid on the index finger?

How close in proximity does this wristwatch thing need to be? I don't want the be limited to one handed shooting.

NONE of this will end well.
                  I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within.

Douglas MacArthur

Comment

This gun should be mandatory for ALL politicians' protection detail personnel.

Comment

Originally posted by M1garand View Post
                      This gun should be mandatory for ALL politicians' protection detail personnel.
                      Don't wanna risk one of them having their gun grabbed and used against the politician they're protecting.

In realize they're different technologies, but considering how frequently my bluetooth earpiece fails to properly communicate with my cell phone, I'd hate to have to trust my bracelet to properly communicate with my sidearm.
                      Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

Once upon a time, there were revolvers which required wearing a ring on each hand for them to work. FAILED
                        A gun is the last resort. When you need it, you really need it! And it must work, 100% of the time, in all weather, no matter if your "watch" has been turned on or not, an if you have gloves/mud/blood on your hands.
                        Last edited by Sleuth; 02-25-2014, 12:08 PM.
                        "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
                        John Stuart Mill

Comment

Originally posted by jannino View Post
                          So a bad guy can still rip the gun out of your hand and shoot you if he's still close...
                          and steal your $400 watch...

Comment

The gun may not be "smart", but I guarantee that its smarter than anyone willing to spend nearly $2,000.00 for unreliable technology that no one in their right mind would consider owning for defensive purposes. If you believe I'm wrong, please feel free to invest your savings in this company!
                            "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4243 users online. 229 members and 4014 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X