Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else have trouble with the XS big dot sights?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else have trouble with the XS big dot sights?

I just got the XS big dot sights on my Glock 23 less than a week ago and WOW I did terrible at the range from the 25 yard line. I had the 3 dot sights before and I'm at a point already that I might switch back. Did anyone else have problems with those sights? I don't know if I should just keep practicing with them or going back.

I have never used them but I hear they are bad for long distance.

Get some Trijicon HD sights. Best sights I have ever used. They improved my accuracy a noticeable amount.

Comment

I did; but only until I replaced the rear with a standard Novak sight.

they are made for seriously up close and personal work. Not long range. They are the fastest around for acquiring a target at like up to 15 yards. That doesn't help with the 25 yard shots. It sure didn't for me.

I had to be inside the barn to hit the broad side of it.
      Last edited by KenW.; 01-17-2014, 07:07 PM.
      I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within.

Douglas MacArthur

Comment

Originally posted by Tmg View Post
        I have never used them but I hear they are bad for long distance.

Get some Trijicon HD sights. Best sights I have ever used. They improved my accuracy a noticeable amount.
        The HDs speed up target acquisition. However, with that wide rear sight notch, they certainly aren't precision sights.

That said, I absolutely love them. I find them to be capable of combat effective hits out to 35-40 yards. Beyond that, they start to become a compromise (you know, the kind of shots which you have about a 0.000001% chance of ever needing to take).

I've never used the Big Dots, and, regretfully, can't offer a comparison between the two.

Comment

Big Dots suck butt at any range where sights are relevant. I bought into the hype as well and had the first set ever on a CZ40B. I sent my pistol to them so they could fit the sights to it in order to add that model to their line, they gave me free sights and I only paid shipping one way. They did not return my factory sights with the gun. I sold it after a few weeks of wasting ammo in practice and at an IDPA match.

Trijicon HDs are where its at. They are just as fast to acquire and they are a lot more accurate.
          I miss you, Dave.
          http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Are you shooting off the top of the dot at 25 or still trying to get hits at the center of the dot? I had trouble at distance until I went in and chatted with Monty and he explained how to shoot off the top of the dot 25 and out. XS is a great company with a great bunch of guys. That being said... I also switched to HD's on most of my guns. My airweight, rem 870 and AR still all have XS. Fwiw I shot out to 50 with them and never had any issues. Try a 6 o clock hold and see if it helps.
            In Valor there is hope

Comment

I tried the Big Dot sights on an off-duty SIG 229, but switched back to standard three-dot sights. I might have stayed with Big Dots if they were on my duty pistol.
              John from Maryland

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU74 View Post
                Are you shooting off the top of the dot at 25 or still trying to get hits at the center of the dot? I had trouble at distance until I went in and chatted with Monty and he explained how to shoot off the top of the dot 25 and out. XS is a great company with a great bunch of guys. That being said... I also switched to HD's on most of my guns. My airweight, rem 870 and AR still all have XS. Fwiw I shot out to 50 with them and never had any issues. Try a 6 o clock hold and see if it helps.
                From the 25 I was trying to hit the middle of the dot but I'll try the top next time. The sights seem nice but I'm worried at future re-quals that I wouldn't even pass, and if I can't hit what I'm aiming for then it doesn't benefit anyone.

Thanks everyone for the comments, I might give it a couple more practice tries but I have a feeling I'll be switching back.

Comment

Make sure the sight alignment is the same as in close and try a 6 o clock hold. Fwiw you're much more likely to be in a shooting at the range XS excel at than at 25+ yards.
                  In Valor there is hope

Comment

Fwiw you're much more likely to be in a shooting at the range XS excel at than at 25+ yards.
                    Absolutely correct. However; All the LEO qualification courses I've shot included several 25 yard shots. That's where I had all my problems.
                    I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within.

Douglas MacArthur

Comment

I tried Big Dot sights, hated them. A coworker has them and is very accurate and fast with them. I am using Ameriglo Hackathorn sights. They are the best I have used so far.
                      Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

I too have been intrigued by the Big Dot, but instead went with the Trijicon HDs on my SIG.

With my S&W M&P Shield I decided to go with the Ameriglo Pro i-DOT. Steel sights with Trijicon vials, but less expensive than the HDs. Very pleased with them.

sw-601.jpg
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Bighead; 01-21-2014, 07:52 PM.
                        "A fanatic is one who won't change his mind, and won't change the subject." -Winston Churchill

"I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts." -Will Rogers

"To desire to save these wolves in society may arise from benevolence, but it must be the benevolence of a child or a fool" -Henry Fielding

Comment

I got issued a G22 with the post and ball type sight on it (similar idea to the big dot from what I understand). I couldnt hit squat with it. Switched out to a 3 dot gun and cleaned the course (48 of 48). I dont doubt they would be ok once you got used to them, but they are definitely not a set of sights to throw on, shoot a few rounds to verify alignment, and head out with, in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by KenW. View Post
                            Absolutely correct. However; All the LEO qualification courses I've shot included several 25 yard shots. That's where I had all my problems.
                            Ya, seems to be pretty standard. Realistically I wouldn't feel comfortable taking a shot with a pistol that far out. I'd most likely have a rifle out anyway. That being said I think its a bad idea to pick a sight based on a distance most officers will never shoot their gun at. I pick my sights based on how fast I can pick up my front sight. XS are excellent at that, as are HD's. I'm faster with the HD's and like the blacked out rear. If I couldn't have HD's I'd still have XS on all of my guns. The more you practice the better you are with any sight, I feel a lot if people try XS one or two times and toss them after they aren't getting quarter size groups at distance. That'd be like ditching a Phillips screwdriver because it can't turn a flathead screw.
                            In Valor there is hope

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4663 users online. 291 members and 4372 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X