Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Springfield XDm or Glock 22? Can't decide!

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Springfield XDm or Glock 22? Can't decide!

I will be starting the police academy on Monday the 13th and need some advice for buying my first firearm.

The only restrictions my department has is no 1911s or revolvers. I have decide on the .40 cal personally.

Today my department let me test out a Springfield XDm and a glock 22, both 40s. I am so torn between the two and cannot decide. Four officers came down at various times to watch and were all carrying the Springfield, which kind of says something to me.

Any suggestions? I appreciate all input! Both guns felt great!

I carry the XDm and love it. I also own a sig 220, m&p, and have owned 2 glocks. The XDm is my favorite gun.

I sold the glocks because I didn't shoot well with them. There grip angle really bothered me.

They are both good guns. Pick the one you shoot best with.
    Last edited by ; 01-09-2014, 10:05 AM.

Comment

Agree with Tmg. Get the one you shoot best with. Both are popular brands so finding magazines, parts, holsters and the like will be easy.

Comment

S&W M&P. Oh wait, that wasn't an option was it. Maybe you should think about it. Why the 40? Did you consider a 9 or 45?
        Stupid has no color or race, everyone can participate.

Comment

I like Glocks more than XD's just because of the trigger.....I do not like the reset on the XD series pistols. I also shoot my Glocks well.

However, that is me and you are you. Get what you shoot best with that is within policy.

Comment

Personal choice, choose the one you shoot/like better. I would choose the XDM in .45.

Comment

Glock > M&P > Sig > 1911 > XDM. Careful choosing a gun with a grip safety, one more thing to go wrong, especially in a polymer pistol. I'd be less worried about the grip safety in the 1911 as it's a proven design.

9 > .45 > .40. What made you choose .40? It has more recoil, costs more to practice and doesn't offer much over the 9 and certainly nothing over the .45.

Also, take what other officers carry with a grain of salt, especially when it comes to firearms. Many aren't "gun guys" or "gear guys" and simply carry what they saw someone else carry or what was cheapest/on sale. It's good that you're taking the time to try out a few different guns, it's definitely important to find something that works for you.
              Last edited by SCSU74; 01-09-2014, 10:05 AM.
              In Valor there is hope

Comment

Originally posted by Tmg View Post
                I carry the XDm and love it. I also own a sig 220, m&p, and have owned 2 glocks. The XDm is my favorite gun.

I sold the glocks because I didn't shoot well with them. There grip angel really bothered me.

They are both good guns. Pick the one you shoot best with.
                Beavertail = No more "glock hump" aka grip angle
                In Valor there is hope

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU74 View Post
                  Glock > M&P > Sig > 1911 > XDM. Careful choosing a gun with a grip safety, one more thing to go wrong, especially in a polymer pistol. I'd be less worried about the grip safety in the 1911 as it's a proven design.
                  I normally agree with you but this time I have to disagree. I have owned all makes of gun you have mentioned except a 1911. With my experience, Glock would be last and the M&P and XDm tied for first. Yes my M&P has grown on me but I still like my XDm slightly better.

As far as the grip safety is concerned I have never had a problem with mine, actually I have never really noticed it.

Comment

Thank you everyone for the great responses. I have the freedom of choosing any caliber I'd like actually, but for some reason I like the concept of the .40.

I am turned off by the .45 due to the magazine capacity. In a high stress situation I feel like accuracy may drop significantly, so the more the better.

To make my final decision I am about to go to a local range and rent another glock 22 and an XDm. I'll shoot them side by side one more time and choose. This isn't my last pistol purchase, but it's my first and I have to buy all of my gear on my own so I want to make the right choice, thought it seems I really can't go wrong either way.
                    Last edited by braz989; 01-09-2014, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by braz989 View Post
                      To make my final decision I am about to go to a local range and rent another glock 22 and an XDm. I'll shoot them side by side one meow time and choose. This isn't my last pistol purchase, but it's my first and I have to buy all of my gear on my own so I want to make the right choice, thought it seems I really can't go wrong either way.
                      Sounds like you are making the best decision.

Comment

Not to screw you up BUT if you are considering the glock 22 check out the glock 35. Those things are nail drivers. If I had to do it all over again (5 years ago) I woulda got the 35. Off duty carry with it is more challenging. But a fanstastic gun

Comment

I carry the glock 22. Have carried a Sig p229 at a previous agency. I'd take the glock all day long. I never had a problem with my sig, I just like the glock that much more. If I had a choice, which I don't, but I would look at the glock 21 gen 4 strongly.

Comment

I think you have it narrowed down to two very good guns, and your idea to shoot them both and make a decision is probably as good as any. Are you paying for the gun yourself? Because if you shoot them both back-to-back and really don't have a preference, then I would buy the Glock and spend the savings on ammo, magazines, or a weapon-mounted light.

Make sure you order a gun with factory night sights, or put a good set of night sights on the gun as soon as possible. I like Ameriglo's value, with the Pro i-DOT in lumalime green being my favorite. Trijicon HDs are also very good sights.

Also, are you looking at GEN3 or GEN4 Glock 22s? If you are looking at GEN3 and want to run a weapon-mounted light, then I would switch to a Glock 17 or select the Springfield. Google Glock 22 and weapon-mounted lights for details oin the problem, but my wife and sister work for a metropolitan department (1000+ officers) that recalled all GEN3 Glock 22s and 22s. They removed them from the approved weapons list because of excessive malfunctions. Glock bought them all back and gave the department G17s and G21s as replacement, officer's choice.
                            "A fanatic is one who won't change his mind, and won't change the subject." -Winston Churchill

"I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts." -Will Rogers

"To desire to save these wolves in society may arise from benevolence, but it must be the benevolence of a child or a fool" -Henry Fielding

Comment

Originally posted by braz989 View Post
                              Thank you everyone for the great responses. I have the freedom of choosing any caliber I'd like actually, but for some reason I like the concept of the .40.

I am turned off by the .45 due to the magazine capacity. In a high stress situation I feel like accuracy may drop significantly, so the more the better.

To make my final decision I am about to go to a local range and rent another glock 22 and an XDm. I'll shoot them side by side one more time and choose. This isn't my last pistol purchase, but it's my first and I have to buy all of my gear on my own so I want to make the right choice, thought it seems I really can't go wrong either way.
                              That is certainly the best way to make the decision.

One thing to note, I actually find the recoil impulse from .45acp easier to manage than .40 s&w. I'd recommend firing a 9, 40, and 45 before making a caliber decision.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4725 users online. 295 members and 4430 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X